Pioneer QX 747a-Silly Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary Edward Link

Hello All,

First time posting. So here's my silly question. I just purchased a Pioneer QX 747A. Can I run my four speakers in 2 channel mode? Similar to a standard stereo receiver with two sets of speakers. Or do I need to only use my front set in 2 channel mode. I would love to use my new quad Pioneer to do double duty. Stereo and Quad. Running two sets of speakers in both capacities. Sorry if I am not explaining myself correctly.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

You probably will have to use the 'RM' mode to get the sound into all 4 speakers. It's been a while since I futzed with a vintage quad receiver, but I don't recall if the 747 2CH mode put audio in the rears. I seem to recall that 2CH mode only fed the fronts.

Anyone else have a QX-747 or a QX-949 that can help?

pioneer_qx-747a_mode_selector.jpg

I don't think its any different than my Marantz 4140 amp; I have to select Vari-matrix fake mode (or SQ mode if I had decoder installed) to get stereo programs into all four speakers.

The modern approach with Denon receivers is the 5 Channel Stereo (or 7 Channel Stereo) mode to awaken sleeping amp channels to fill the room.

Hello All,

Thanks for the much needed info. It seems as though I will be running my standard stereo albums through RM in order to push through my four speakers. Now all I have to do is start collecting some Quad Albums SQ, etc. I can't tell you how much I've learned from this site (forum) already. Invaluable. Thanks so much. I have been an avid vinyl enthusiast for a very long while. Now I dip my toe into the Quad waters. I hear it's deep...

-Gary

That's really unusual. I have the Pioneer QX-9900 and selecting "Stereo" on the mode switch gives front and rear stereo pairs. I wonder why it doesn't on the 747? I wonder if the 949 is any different?

I have a QX949 and it's possible to do what he's asking. I have my Squeezebox server, 2 channel, hooked up to the AUX input. On the MODE knob, choose 2ch for regular front stereo. CD4 will give double stereo (front and back). RM and SQ will give fake surround.

Hello All,

First, thank you for the thoughtful replies to my "silly" question. Second, some interesting discoveries (at least I think so) into my new quad receiver experiences. I first experimented in RM mode, which does give a "fake" surround sound for standard stereo records. Although, some records sounded pretty good in that mode. Examples, Nektar, Chicago. Others, not so much, Hookfoot, Starcastle. No punch. Had to crank up the volume to get appropriate sound levels.

When I switched over to CD4-total difference. Lots of stereo power. So now it seems I'm set straight. It really is a wonderful receiver and I'm hoping to be able to experiment more in the SQ mode and maybe, just maybe in the CD-4 Mode, as soon as I take a second mortgage out on my home to buy the appropriate cartridge.

Best,
Gary

Back