Queen SHM-SACDs from Universal Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good find...the SACD reissues are HERE

I wish I understood WHAT exactly these products are. As an example, I bought Queen - News of The World SACD a few years ago. And, IMO, it sounded like complete crap. I was so disappointed...yet, here they go again, releasing it again. Is it the same disc? Is the mastering somehow different? The one I bought years ago was considered Japan SHM or whatever it was called...

Regarding the SACD I reference, the sound was super shrill, absolute no bass. Just super thin sounding.

I wish I understood WHAT exactly these products are. As an example, I bought Queen - News of The World SACD a few years ago. And, IMO, it sounded like complete crap. I was so disappointed...yet, here they go again, releasing it again. Is it the same disc? Is the mastering somehow different? The one I bought years ago was considered Japan SHM or whatever it was called...

Regarding the SACD I reference, the sound was super shrill, absolute no bass. Just super thin sounding.

Here is the deal on this title...it's bright and that's why I never bought it..if you want to find out about the mastering it's in the description on CD Japan...scroll down to "description" and it tells you it's the 2011 mastering...Bob Ludwig did the mastering but he can't be blamed in this case...the source was pretty bad and as bad as this SACD sounds it's actually an upgrade over the MoFi version...HERE is the description...why would they release it...because they are doing the whole Queen group...unfortunately just putting it on SHM material can't save a crappy source

I'm curious, because of some of the other Queen titles. I'd love to have a few, but fear they will sound like NOTW...especially if they are older titles. I'd love to have Sheer Heart Attack as an example.

I'm curious, because of some of the other Queen titles. I'd love to have a few, but fear they will sound like NOTW...especially if they are older titles. I'd love to have Sheer Heart Attack as an example.

I can't comment on the sound quality of Sheer Heart Attack...BUT...I doubt you would be happy with it...I sent you the Queen Greatest Hits SACD to audition and you weren't that impressed...and it is light years better than this one will be...I know that...you are used to the multi channel titles like The Game...and these are nothing like those...you could ask Adam as he might have it..

I can't comment on the sound quality of Sheer Heart Attack...BUT...I doubt you would be happy with it...I sent you the Queen Greatest Hits SACD to audition and you weren't that impressed...and it is light years better than this one will be...I know that...you are used to the multi channel titles like The Game...and these are nothing like those...you could ask Adam as he might have it..

Yep...spoiled by The Game. :) :)

Sheer Heart Attack was often reviewed as one of the worst 2011 remasters (which these SHM-SACD contain)... The best ones are IMO Queen and Queen II. A Night At The Opera isn't bad.

Sheer Heart Attack was often reviewed as one of the worst 2011 remasters (which these SHM-SACD contain)... The best ones are IMO Queen and Queen II. A Night At The Opera isn't bad.

Wasn't that the consensus for the 2 CD sets that came out a few years before? Same mastering I think.

I know this is from another forum, but I've been a member for ten years now and I've grown to trust Roland's opinion on the matter. Hopefully this will help you decide how to build your Queen collection.

Yes, the SACDs use the most recent Universal/Bob Ludwig remasters same as the last CD remaster campaign.
A very mixed bag.. imho

Wasn't that the consensus for the 2 CD sets that came out a few years before? Same mastering I think.

I know this is from another forum, but I've been a member for ten years now and I've grown to trust Roland's opinion on the matter. Hopefully this will help you decide how to build your Queen collection.

Hmm.. don't entirely agree with some of what's been said in that thread.. the original EMI CDs do have great masterings of the Classic albums.. but there's some I feel v.much at the mercy of tapes in bad shape (Queen II for example) that really on their own merits sound pretty ropey in parts, imho..

if ever a catalogue warranted putting out in the kind of stunning XTC/Yes sets we've been so lucky to have, sets with remixes in 5.1 and stereo, extras, flat transfers, LP rips, all that "jazz".. then, for me, it is Queen's back catalogue.. from I thru, well, Jazz.. (and maybe some more of that Jazz if people are fussed about what came after The Game.. I am.. but I know not everyone is.. I'd love all of the albums to have been really given the special treatment but we got what we got and that's it, we move on, I'm not gonna "lose my head" over it! :eek: )

Very disappointed in those releases...

Yep.. I didn't like what I heard, so I stopped getting them (and I have just about everythiiiiing Queen & Freddie, they don't call me Fred for nothin' :eek: .. so the remasters must be pretty crap for me not to bother put it that way! :D )

Last edited:
Hmm.. don't entirely agree with some of what's been said in that thread.. the original EMI CDs do have great masterings of the Classic albums.. but there's some I feel v.much at the mercy of tapes in bad shape (Queen II for example) that really on their own merits sound pretty ropey in parts, imho..

if ever a catalogue warranted putting out in the kind of stunning XTC/Yes sets we've been so lucky to have, sets with remixes in 5.1 and stereo, extras, flat transfers, LP rips, all that "jazz".. then, for me, it is Queen's back catalogue.. from I thru, well, Jazz.. (and maybe some more of that Jazz if people are fussed about what came after The Game.. I am.. but I know not everyone is.. I'd love all of the albums to have been really given the special treatment but we got what we got and that's it, we move on, I'm not gonna "lose my head" over it! :eek: )

You know, I've been thinking.. why stop at Jazz..?

Gimme the prize..

Just gimme..

The Complete Works! :banana:

Wow, AB, Totally agree that QUEEN deserves the SW Treatment as the DTS Entertainment 5.1s of Night at the Opera and The Game are among the best releases out there. I do have the SHM~SACDs of Queens Greatest Hits I and II and prefer I over two.

As for Burning in SHM~SACDs ..... try playing them by candlelight. Makes a HUGE difference:ugham:

Wow, AB, Totally agree that QUEEN deserves the SW Treatment as the DTS Entertainment 5.1s of Night at the Opera and The Game are among the best releases out there. I do have the SHM~SACDs of Queens Greatest Hits I and II and prefer I over two.

As for Burning in SHM~SACDs ..... try playing them by candlelight. Makes a HUGE difference:ugham:

It still saddens me to this day Ralphie, that "A Day At The Races" & "News Of The World" were reported to be next in line for the DTS Ent's 5.1 DVD-A treatment, not only because they would be fabulous in surround but also since imho both could do with a remix from the multi's to both improve fidelity (particularly Races but News has some problems to my ears too, though they may be inherent in the original recordings?) and new Steven Wilson remixes would improve upon the stereo mixes in any event no doubt! (no idea whether ever album made it to the remixing stage btw, though for "A Day At The Races" it seems likely it was started but possibly unfinished from comments Brian May made on his blog iirc?)

Ah... with respect (to you Ralph rather than to SHM!) bugger SHM-anything, its all in the mastering if an SHM is superior to a "non-SHM" counterpart (imho!) and not due to the "Super High Material" used in physical disc manufacture.. SHM discs are not LPs or tapes which can and do degrade (no matter to what infinitesimal extent some might 'argue'!) with every play, those SHM discs should sound the same with play through number 4,698 as they did on their very first play! :D

The only Super High Material worth bothering with comes in a little green.. BAG..! :smokin

It still saddens me to this day Ralphie, that "A Day At The Races" & "News Of The World" were reported to be next in line for the DTS Ent's 5.1 DVD-A treatment, not only because they would be fabulous in surround but also since imho both could do with a remix from the multi's to both improve fidelity (particularly Races but News has some problems to my ears too, though they may be inherent in the original recordings?) and new Steven Wilson remixes would improve upon the stereo mixes in any event no doubt! (no idea whether ever album made it to the remixing stage btw, though for "A Day At The Races" it seems likely it was started but possibly unfinished from comments Brian May made on his blog iirc?)

Ah... with respect (to you Ralph rather than to SHM!) bugger SHM-anything, its all in the mastering if an SHM is superior to a "non-SHM" counterpart (imho!) and not due to the "Super High Material" used in physical disc manufacture.. SHM discs are not LPs or tapes which can and do degrade (no matter to what infinitesimal extent some might 'argue'!) with every play, those SHM discs should sound the same with play through number 4,698 as they did on their very first play! :D

The only Super High Material worth bothering with comes in a little green.. BAG..! :smokin

Perusing the origins of the upcoming Queen [reissues] on SHM~SACD: Taken from the 2011 96/24 masters by Bob Ludwig. But no mention taken from the original analogue masters. Do the Queen masters reside in the UK or US? I'm sure they weren't the original analogue masters which always sound so glorious on SHM~SACD.

Yes, AB, too bad DTS didn't continue with their awesome DVD~A 5.1 releases as A Day At The Races, IMO, would've sounded superb. I always fondly remember how glorious the Queen vinyl sounded even on my then not so audiophile TT.

And the only SHM worth bothering with does come in a little green baggy..........and makes everything sound AND taste SO much better!

And SCREW SHM~SACD....release the QUEEN 5.1 remasters on BD~A 5.1. In order to accomplish this do we need an edict from her Majesty, the QUEEN...or her heir apparent, Prince CHUCK?

Perusing the origins of the upcoming Queen [reissues] on SHM~SACD: Taken from the 2011 96/24 masters by Bob Ludwig. But no mention taken from the original analogue masters. Do the Queen masters reside in the UK or US? I'm sure they weren't the original analogue masters which always sound so glorious on SHM~SACD.

When they released Queen's vinyl box set last year, they used digital masters. They stated that the reason for this was because the original analog tapes were in bad shape. :(

If the Analog Tapes are not in good shape.
Or if the band prefers the more recent digitally remixed versions, that's going to be what is released.

Oh well, we can't get Analog sourced SHM-SACDs all the time.

Back