Queen SHM-SACDs from Universal Japan

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't that the consensus for the 2 CD sets that came out a few years before? Same mastering I think.

Everything Queen issued since 2011 is, well, the 2011 Bob Ludwig 96/24 remasters from the original stereo master tapes. They are all remasters, not remixes. That includes the double-CDs, SHM-SACDs, Pt. SHM-CDs, vinyl, Hi-Res downloads, etc...

Before that, only two albums were remixed in surround: ANATO (2001, revised and completed in 2005) and The Game (2003), but they were not remixed in stereo (only remastered).

Talking digital formats only, before that, previous whole-catalogue remasterings were in:
2001 for the mini-LP CDs (Japan only).
1993 for the official "digital remasters" CDs
1991 for the Hollywood Records remasters CDs (USA only)
The 80s for the original EMI CDs.

Everything Queen issued since 2011 is, well, the 2011 Bob Ludwig 96/24 remasters from the original stereo master tapes. They are all remasters, not remixes. That includes the double-CDs, SHM-SACDs, Pt. SHM-CDs, vinyl, Hi-Res downloads, etc...

Before that, only two albums were remixed in surround: ANATO (2001, revised and completed in 2005) and The Game (2003), but they were not remixed in stereo (only remastered).

Talking digital formats only, before that, previous whole-catalogue remasterings were in:
2001 for the mini-LP CDs (Japan only).
1993 for the official "digital remasters" CDs
1991 for the Hollywood Records remasters CDs (USA only)
The 80s for the original EMI CDs.

I'm pretty certain ANATO was remixed. There's a conformed for stereo credit (was it a reduction of the 5.1?) on the 30th anniversary, and I recall the panning being different on some of Seaside Rendezvous. I could be mistaken.

Reissue release from Queen with SHM-SACD format (single layer) and 2011 DSD mastering (96kHz/24bit) by Bob Ludwig. This series features the following titles "Queen," "Queen 2," "Sheer Heart Attack," "A Night At The Opera," "A Day At The Races," "News Of The World," "Jazz," "The Game," "Flash Gordon," "Hot Space," "The Works," "A Kind Of Magic," "The Miracle," "Innuendo," and "Made In Heaven." Available only for three months.

I received all of the above (I already had Flash Gordon) SHM SACD's yesterday from CDJapan and I am looking forward to lots of enjoying listening. They are almost sold out again. I was also able to score Greatest Hits II but not I.

After spending the week listening to all these SHM SACD's by Queen I am very happy to have made the purchase. They all sound great and I certainly learned about Queen and there ability to be interesting on every disc. The band really uses a lot of images, sounds, techniques that begs for surround. After the Chicago Quadio set I was hoping for a Doobie Brothers Quadio, but now, I just got to have a Queen Quadio Box Set. There entire catalog is SACD so it should be an easier next step?

Not really. The format the stereo mix has been released in has little to do it getting mixed into surround. What has been released in surround so far has been across DVD Audio and DVD-V formats (and probably a handful of video releases in BD as well.)

Mike is right. The release of Queen's catalogue on SHM-SACD does not mean they are a hop, skip, and a jump away from remixing their entire catalogue for surround sound.
Plus marpow said something about a "Queen Quadio Box Set", but that will never happen because unlike Chicago and the Doobie Brothers, Queen do not have any existing Quadraphonic mixes.

Back