AP SACDs of Beach Boys Sunflower and Surf's Up are stereo/multichannel with 4.0 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q1.)

Oh yes! those TH DVD-A's we got over here were fabbo (still mostly cheap & easy to get) but I had to get the Brick too (despite the dreaded DualDiscs!) it's just so goddamn pretty!!! :mad:@:

very interesting point about the Warner & then EMI releases (they're near identical in presentation, you'd never really suss they were from different record labels without really looking carefully at the rear inlays & spines etc.).

I'd never realised why the last few albums were pricier/harder to get/more sought after than the others but now of course it figures, they were EMI releases and they're usually less plentiful than the Warner Hi-Rez/surround stuff.

Here, in The US, in the brick, they are all WB. Never on EMI here.

I really cannot agree with your feelings & assessment of the Marvin Gaye Collection surround mix, muckel, I think it's really very good indeed (especially considering the limitations of the source material) and a bit of an overlooked gem in latter-day 5.1 mixes imho.

It has always been one of my favorites as well.

I really cannot agree with your feelings & assessment of the Marvin Gaye Collection surround mix, muckel, I think it's really very good indeed (especially considering the limitations of the source material) and a bit of an overlooked gem in latter-day 5.1 mixes imho.
ditto

Beach Boys in surround is one of my favorite things about quad, and also the related album The Flame, maybe just because it was so early, pioneering. Stephen W. Desper should be more recognized for the production, engineering, and mixing he did back then. There used to be some information and interviews with him on the web, but it is getting harder to find. He wrote a small book called Recording the Beach Boys that I would really like to find. Apparently first issues of it came with a device to simulate surround in two channels, curious about that also.

Spotty? I know a lot of people who have dogs called Spot. Also known affectionally as 'Spotty dog'!
I take it that you are not a dog lover per se but have a fondness for them (And Surfs Up)
So 'Spotty' is the most unusual and nicest criticism I've ever heard about Surfs Up.!
(Methinks you like it more than you will ever know) !!!

Beach Boys in surround is one of my favorite things about quad, and also the related album The Flame, maybe just because it was so early, pioneering. Stephen W. Desper should be more recognized for the production, engineering, and mixing he did back then. There used to be some information and interviews with him on the web, but it is getting harder to find. He wrote a small book called Recording the Beach Boys that I would really like to find. Apparently first issues of it came with a device to simulate surround in two channels, curious about that also.

Interesting. So one of the Beach Boys albums used Desper's Spatializer technology?

Nearly 4 years on and the 5.1 mix of Surfs Up by Steve Desper is still on the shelf somewhere. Its an absolute disgrace.

Nearly 4 years on and the 5.1 mix of Surfs Up by Steve Desper is still on the shelf somewhere. Its an absolute disgrace.
Too bad APO isn't offering this surround mix on their SACD next month.

I've just verified on my Oppo that the Analogue Productions SACDs of The Beach Boys' Sunflower and Surf's Up are stereo/multichannel and have a quad mix that is not referenced on the packaging.

Someone on another forum noticed Sunflower and it occurred to me to check Surf's Up too. Interesting, no?

I've just verified on my Oppo that the Analogue Productions SACDs of The Beach Boys' Sunflower and Surf's Up are stereo/multichannel and have a quad mix that is not referenced on the packaging.

Someone on another forum noticed Sunflower and it occurred to me to check Surf's Up too. Interesting, no?

Are you talking "matrix" or "discreet" ?

I just want to mention that the Oppo's get "fooled" sometimes...they are subject to the Jedi Mind Tricks...just saying...they can't always distinguish correctly..

Interesting. I've never had that issue. Is it an occurrence associated with every model or just one in particular.

If these discs do indeed contain the Quad mixes, I'll put a hold on my Chicago Quadio order and buy these two ASAP. :)

Acoustic Sounds does include this in the description of Surf's Up:

Worth noting on Surf's Up is Stephen Desper's engineering work — the entire album was mixed to a center channel quad matrix that he was developing at the time.

How do the quad mixes sound?

Back