AP SACDs of Beach Boys Sunflower and Surf's Up are stereo/multichannel with 4.0 mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just verified on my Oppo that the Analogue Productions SACDs of The Beach Boys' Sunflower and Surf's Up are stereo/multichannel and have a quad mix that is not referenced on the packaging.

Someone on another forum noticed Sunflower and it occurred to me to check Surf's Up too. Interesting, no?

Wow.! :yikes
..is there anything coming out of any other channels except the Front Left and Right?

Interesting. I've never had that issue. Is it an occurrence associated with every model or just one in particular.

If these discs do indeed contain the Quad mixes, I'll put a hold on my Chicago Quadio order and buy these two ASAP. :)

Acoustic Sounds does include this in the description of Surf's Up:

I can only speak for the 103D model...but I have seen comments from other Oppo owners...I sure wouldn't hold on the Chicago set for these titles..

Just added them to my Cart at acoustic sounds... hoping to get quad confirmation so I can pull the trigger!

You're not the only one. Best to keep our expectations low in case the calendar is wrong and thinks that it's April 1. ;)

Just added them to my Cart at acoustic sounds... hoping to get quad confirmation so I can pull the trigger!

Well...2 things...if you aren't in a hurry you can get a discount at elusive disc...at least 10%...when they get them in stock...and if you just can't wait and are determined to order from acoustic sounds and you aren't spending $89 to get free shipping..CALL THEM and ask for Media Mail shipping...which is more reasonable...instead of using the cart method

Well...2 things...if you aren't in a hurry you can get a discount at elusive disc...at least 10%...when they get them in stock...and if you just can't wait and are determined to order from acoustic sounds and you aren't spending $89 to get free shipping..CALL THEM and ask for Media Mail shipping...which is more reasonable...instead of using the cart method

If these turn out to be MultiCh quite a few people will be in a hurry, I think! :D

If these turn out to be MultiCh quite a few people will be in a hurry, I think! :D

My opinion...you will be disappointed...I jumped on the first couple of Beach Boy SACD's and IMO the ones that followed were of lesser quality..IMO I think that was the marketing plan...release the best sounding titles first...the description of Surfs Up seems a little vague....in a deliberate way...everybody is zeroed in on the "quad" reference...but what about this earlier disclaimer "most from the original master tapes OR BEST SOURCES AVAILABLE"...if it truly had "real" quad relevance I would think it would be in bold print at the beginning of the description...not buried midway down the page...and then there is the word "developing"...maybe it was just a flirtation with quad...an early stage...or maybe not...maybe it's the real deal...I will certainly be watching this one to see what others think..but I don't think there is going to be a rush to purchase this one in any event...real quad or quad lite...

I just want to mention that the Oppo's get "fooled" sometimes...they are subject to the Jedi Mind Tricks...just saying...they can't always distinguish correctly..

I checked the PS3 ripped ISO's. There is indeed a 4 channel mix (encoded as 5.0). I haven't had a chance to listen, but looking at the waveforms of a track or two it doesn't appear to be particularly discreet, perhaps a matrix decode, weren't they originally released as matrix encoded LP's? Not exactly up on the history.

I checked the PS3 ripped ISO's. There is indeed a 4 channel mix (encoded as 5.0). I haven't had a chance to listen, but looking at the waveforms of a track or two it doesn't appear to be particularly discreet, perhaps a matrix decode, weren't they originally released as matrix encoded LP's? Not exactly up on the history.

Blimey.. :confused: Dynaquad strikes again! Maybe it is a decode from encoded tapes or something.. but then I think there was a Quad reel of Beach Boys stuff.. so that'd be discrete, no? I dunno.. somebody will be along to explain in minute, meantime, great sleuthing and thank you I'm ordering these two now! :D

Blimey.. :confused: Dynaquad strikes again! Maybe it is a decode from encoded tapes or something.. but then I think there was a Quad reel of Beach Boys stuff.. so that'd be discrete, no? I dunno.. somebody will be along to explain in minute, meantime, great sleuthing and thank you I'm ordering these two now! :D

Are the ISO files the exact clones of the SACDs though? Before ordering, I'd rather make sure that there is a Multichannel layer.

I've been reading that thread...geeze...there are some strange observations on Holland..look at post 1234 which is a response from acoustic sounds about flaws in the recording..Evan the returns manager basically told the poster that flaws are in the original recording and not the fault of mastering or production problems....as far as an unadvertised quad layer on Sunflower...Evan merely stated it was a hybrid stereo disc...from further exploration on that thread the old Dynaco technique was mentioned...the natives over there aren't going to be happy campers..poor Evan is going to get a earful with that crowd...maybe it's a good time for a vacation....

Do you think you will be able to hear the actual quad version...or some pseudo version?

I've been reading that thread...geeze...there are some strange observations on Holland..look at post 1234 which is a response from acoustic sounds about flaws in the recording..Evan the returns manager basically told the poster that flaws are in the original recording and not the fault of mastering or production problems....as far as an unadvertised quad layer on Sunflower...Evan merely stated it was a hybrid stereo disc...from further exploration on that thread the old Dynaco technique was mentioned...the natives over there aren't going to be happy campers..poor Evan is going to get a earful with that crowd...maybe it's a good time for a vacation....

I'll admit not being that interested in Holland as I'm quite happy with the version I have at the moment. I have decided to pull the trigger on Surf's Up and Sunflower and I've placed my order. The Chicago Quadio set will have to wait another month but if these are truly the Quad mixes it will definitely be worth the wait. :)

I'm not well versed in SACD authoring but could it be possible to have a glitch in the discs that indicates a 4.0 layer whilst there is none?

I don't really understand the difference between matrix and discrete... cheezmo, can you let us know if the quad stuff sounds good? (even pseudo-quad would probably get me to bite!)

I don't really understand the difference between matrix and discrete... cheezmo, can you let us know if the quad stuff sounds good? (even pseudo-quad would probably get me to bite!)

Matrix is 2ch 2.0 with an encoded quad, and requires a quad decoder to hear the 4ch fully.

Discreet is 4ch 4.0 four very separate channels, playback in multichannel dvd or sacd players.

Back