HiRez Poll Reed, Robert - SANCTUARY II [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Robert Reed - SANCTUARY II

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poort Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I was lucky enough to be a tester of this disc and I have to say, as I said here on the forum previously, it is my number 1 disc of the year. I absolutely love this disc. I'm a huge fan of Mike Oldfield - especially the Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn albums. This is the homage to MO from a true fan. The playing is impeccable with drumming by Simon Phillips. The recording and the sound of the disc and especially the surround mix is crisp and clean.

I can't recommend this enough!

I am giving this one a 10 also as what a wonderful surround mix. I posted this in a previous thread about this album:

"Rob Reed has definitely outdone himself from Sanctuary 1 to 2 as I like 2 more than 1 and Sanctuary 1 was already pretty darn good.
Not sure what others think that have this but I am finding this even a more joyful and fun mix of great musical ideas put into the 2 songs than the first Sanctuary album.
I have been listening to this in the car this week and just loving it, such a great album."

I could not get this disk out of my car deck playing cycle as it was so much fun to listen to this week.
Well I did put it on the home stereo last night and watched the videos included and now it makes sense why this album sound's more musical.
Rob explains in one of the videos that when he sent what he thought was the final mix of his album to Tom Newman he was startled to find out that Tom N. had many changes for Rob Reed to consider and after talking to Tom N. about them he said part of Rob's problem was that when you are mixing a album on the computer you can get it to look perfect on all the graphs and waveforms but Rob needed to make decisions on the mix based completely on his own ears and get the feel right for how it sounds and thats what he did, closed his eyes and listened, made changes to the mix and this is the album we have now. Rob explains things in much better detail so checking out the videos with the dvd are worth checking out.

Thanks so much for this album Rob R, job well done.

Mike who, rob reeds pulled together a classic album here, yes a homage but I think much better that the first, and possibly rob reeds best 5.1 mix todate

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind words....as you all may be aware Im a huge fan of the surround format, and try to do all my releases in that format. Im looking into ways of delivering a lot of the back catalogue as Flac downloads, some are not available at the moment or haven't been released.
Sanctuary II, I think was made for 5.1 mixing. I used over 200 tracks for the recording so I was able to place everything in its own space. I also like using all 5 speakers as Equals, so placing important things in the rears, as I have to assume that most people have matched speakers.This can be a risk, but makes the over all experience much more immersive. Anyway thanks for the continued support.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind words....as you all may be aware Im a huge fan of the surround format, and try to do all my releases in that format. Im looking into ways of delivering a lot of the back catalogue as Flac downloads, some are not available at the moment or haven't been released.
Sanctuary II, I think was made for 5.1 mixing. I used over 200 tracks for the recording so I was able to place everything in its own space. I also like using all 5 speakers as Equals, so placing important things in the rears, as I have to assume that most people have matched speakers.This can be a risk, but makes the over all experience much more immersive. Anyway thanks for the continued support.

Rob you are a genius mate. Thanks for the music.

Hi Guys,

Rob, thanks so much for sharing your music with us and the care you have taken in producing stellar surround mixes.
Sanctuary 2 and Kompendium are my favorite 5.1 mixes of yours but maybe some of you older work with Magenta will enter my favorites after getting your lossless downloads.
On the delivery method you might want to check with 'The Enid' band as they just recently provided 5.1 downloads of 2 albums and they gave a 5.1 flac and a 5.1 dvda choice. If you could also offer a 5.1 dvda option that would be huge as many of us are not tech savy and dvda's can be played in home and car systems and a flac would still have to be converted which I for one do not know how to do. You might want to check with Neil Palfreyman who knows that band and I think is a friend of yours as well.

Again thanks for producing another awesome album :)

peter

Hi Guys,
I prefer a physical format myself but am coming around to the reality of downloads, however my priority is always having a physical disc.

Great album as I have said, and appreciate the efforts you have made and I stand by my word this is your best 5.1 to date and up with the best, and the music's not too shabby either :cool:

Hearing that Mike Oldfield is trying to create an "Ommadawn 2". We'll see if he can create something as good as this...

Glad I took the plunge on this. I voted "10" for the overall value.
I'm not sure it will be a top-tier album for me musically. It pays very heavy homage to MO.
Like, is this a pseudonym? And that's not in and of itself a bad thing. I do lurves me some MO.
And this could really grow on me. I love albums that let my mind wander.
This is one of the most discrete mixes I think I've ever heard, so, kudos for that. Well done.
And getting 2 CDs and a DVD-A for a few bucks. Tremendous value.
Music is expertly done and sounds great.
Get this. Though don't pay the $92 on Amazon! :yikes
Probably cheaper on bandcamp or somewheres like that.

$92 on Amazon..?!?! Has this gone out of print already..???

AH! Don't tell me that... I've been putting this one off :( Dangit...

Edit: After a cursory glance through a few distributors (burningshed, amazon.co.uk, bullmoose, etc...), yeah, it looks to be going out of print. Luckily, I found a copy on discogs, new, $19.75 plus shipping through a US seller. ORDERED! Phew, almost missed out on this one...

And, check out what came up on the amazon uk listing. Looks like we all missed out on what MIGHT be Rob's greatest project yet! ;) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rooster-Da...1474396801&sr=8-1&keywords=rob+reed+sanctuary :mad:@: :confused: Unfortunately, they don't ship to the US...

Back