HiRez Poll Reed, Robert - SANCTUARY II [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Robert Reed - SANCTUARY II

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poort Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind words....as you all may be aware Im a huge fan of the surround format, and try to do all my releases in that format. Im looking into ways of delivering a lot of the back catalogue as Flac downloads, some are not available at the moment or haven't been released.
Sanctuary II, I think was made for 5.1 mixing. I used over 200 tracks for the recording so I was able to place everything in its own space. I also like using all 5 speakers as Equals, so placing important things in the rears, as I have to assume that most people have matched speakers.This can be a risk, but makes the over all experience much more immersive. Anyway thanks for the continued support.

As others on here have said, just a brilliant album, keep up the great work. Let us know if you take this on tour,, please.

This has been sitting in the to listen to pile for way too long.

I needed something soothing to listen to this morning and saw it beckoning from the music to listen to pile - my central heating boiler got taken out by the driving rain last week (blown through the flue/boiler and into the bathroom and down into the kitchen) and the insurance sent out their emergency repairers last Thursday, I was told this morning they can fix it on Monday at 9am so a week and a half later!

So back to the important bit the music. On it went, and I instantly calmed down, I'm glad I'd waited, its really good. A 10 for the music, sound quality and the surround mix. So another solid 10 given today. Absolutely lovely - more please!

Delightful! Yes, the material remains firmly and unapologetically an homage but is so expertly conceived and executed that it never fails to bring a big old grin across my face. As with Sanctuary I the mix and fidelity are demo quality. No quibbles or complaints whatsoever. Simon Phillips on drums is a brilliant addition. And having just seen him live for the first time (performing with Hiromi) gives me an added level of appreciation. There are so many wonderful ear-candy moments but I’ll cite the clever closing of ‘Side A’ where the shifting chordal “shoobadee, doobadees” are coupled with the unprocessed whisperings of the same in the rears. Very cool. An enthusiastic 10 for me.

Delightful! Yes, the material remains firmly and unapologetically an homage but is so expertly conceived and executed that it never fails to bring a big old grin across my face. As with Sanctuary I the mix and fidelity are demo quality. No quibbles or complaints whatsoever. Simon Phillips on drums is a brilliant addition. And having just seen him live for the first time (performing with Hiromi) gives me an added level of appreciation. There are so many wonderful ear-candy moments but I’ll cite the clever closing of ‘Side A’ where the shifting chordal “shoobadee, doobadees” are coupled with the unprocessed whisperings of the same in the rears. Very cool. An enthusiastic 10 for me.

I agree - and yes, Simon Phillips is a drumming machine. So precise! Always enjoyed watching him beat those skins.

An Absolute 10. The content is beautiful, uplifting progressive rock... I can't stop listening to it... gives me chills at times. The mix is completely immersive and discrete... I love when the "shoobiddy doobiddy" vocal circles around the room, and later emerges as a whisper in the rear speakers (just one example of many cool surround moments). Sound fidelity is perfect. Many surround purchases I make sound great on first listen, but then go back on the shelf... then there are those few that keep calling me back... this will be one of those few (but so far, it hasn't left my player in a week!) Buy this!

Hi:

I have bought recently the 2CD+DVD EDITION in eBay to an america seller and in Amazon uk. In both I have received the 2CD edition while in the description the say 3 disc edition. I am going to buy it in CDJAPAN

An Absolute 10. The content is beautiful, uplifting progressive rock... I can't stop listening to it... gives me chills at times. The mix is completely immersive and discrete... I love when the "shoobiddy doobiddy" vocal circles around the room, and later emerges as a whisper in the rear speakers (just one example of many cool surround moments). Sound fidelity is perfect. Many surround purchases I make sound great on first listen, but then go back on the shelf... then there are those few that keep calling me back... this will be one of those few (but so far, it hasn't left my player in a week!) Buy this!

Agree with all of that. If I were to use one 5.1 disc to highlight how good the format is, it'd be this disc. It has good separation of what is, in places, quite a complicated and layered recording. Instruments playfully jump around from speaker to speaker, but that doesn't distract from the piece, indeed, I thought that the 2.1 mix was good, but the 5.1 mix takes it to another stratospheric level. It really is that good.

With regards the musical content, this is very much in the style of Mike Oldfield with themes, motifs and nods to Ommadawn, Incantations and Tubular Bells II. Its beautifully recorded and has all the hallmarks of a Tom Newman production. Perhaps Mike should have used Tom for Return to Ommadawn, but that's a discussion for another day. 10/10 for me and off to listen to it again.(y)

Hi:

I have bought recently the 2CD+DVD EDITION in eBay to an america seller and in Amazon uk. In both I have received the 2CD edition while in the description the say 3 disc edition. I am going to buy it in CDJAPAN

That happened to me too! :-/ I think in the meantime, Rob Reed has put the 5.1 mix up for download, though.

Ahhh yes, here they are: http://www.magentashopfront.com/page14.htm

Hi:

In CDJAPAN the ship never happened. I bought then in Amazon.com. I have received today the 2 CD edition one more time,

I think there are not units in stock nowhere

On the Amazon US site, if you use UPC 5060153430531 to search, it has a definite match to the CD/DVD edition. It even has a photo of the back of the cover confirming the number and contents. If the page you ordered from shows differently, then that's probably where things went wrong.

The ASIN is B0045US6RK. It shows that they have 5 left right now at $24.99 (US).

Also, Deep discount has it in stock for $18.14 with all the confirming details as well, including the UPC. They also have a 15% discount in effect (NEWYEAR18), and they ship to Spain.

Hope this helps...

On the Amazon US site, if you use UPC 5060153430531 to search, it has a definite match to the CD/DVD edition. It even has a photo of the back of the cover confirming the number and contents. If the page you ordered from shows differently, then that's probably where things went wrong.

The ASIN is B0045US6RK. It shows that they have 5 left right now at $24.99 (US).

Also, Deep discount has it in stock for $18.14 with all the confirming details as well, including the UPC. They also have a 15% discount in effect (NEWYEAR18), and they ship to Spain.

Hope this helps...

The ASIN B0045US6RK is the one I ordered and while in the web the backcover photo shows 2CD + DVD edition, the item I received is the 2CD edition.

The problem is that the CD has a stick with the barcode finished in 31 (the barcode of the 2 CD + DVD edition) and if you remove the stick teje real barcode finishes in 79 (the barcode of the 2 CD edition)

The ASIN B0045US6RK is the one I ordered and while in the web the backcover photo shows 2CD + DVD edition, the item I received is the 2CD edition.

The problem is that the CD has a stick with the barcode finished in 31 (the barcode of the 2 CD + DVD edition) and if you remove the stick teje real barcode finishes in 79 (the barcode of the 2 CD edition)

One more time I have received the incorrect edition

Playing the Tom Newman mix right now on the bonus CD (2.0 of course) and must say I prefer it to the RR 96/24 2.0 mix on the DVD.
Fidelity perhaps a bit lower but not nearly as bright.
The music gets better as time goes on, like Part 2 more than Part 1

Back