Is a Technics SL-1200 suitable for playing quad LPs?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzop

I'm new to quad, and I read about the low-capacitance stylus requirements for playing quad vinyl. Since I'd rather not have to buy a dedicated turntable just yet for quad, does anyone know if the Technics SL-1200MKII or MKIII (I have 1 of each) is suitable for the task? Obviously I need to get a special cartridge, but a nice thing about the 1200 is the ability to quick-change cartridges by removing the collar nut on the tonearm.

How would I determine the capacitance of the signal wires? If the capacitance is too high, how difficult of a mod would it be to replace them? If I replaced the wires, would that impact playback of other records (consider also that these TTs are used for mixing and scratching)?

Cheers!

What kind of Quad? For CD-4, from what I gather, you may need different cabling out the back of the arm (not massively difficult if you're familiar with a soldering iron, have a decent enough bench - or baby changing table, and can make sure the thirty odd screws you have to undo are put back again) and a microline/shibata stylus, such as an AT440Mla or Mlb. For SQ and QS it should be fine as is, although the better the cartridge, etc...

What kind of Quad? For CD-4, from what I gather, you may need different cabling out the back of the arm (not massively difficult if you're familiar with a soldering iron, have a decent enough bench - or baby changing table, and can make sure the thirty odd screws you have to undo are put back again) and a microline/shibata stylus, such as an AT440Mla or Mlb. For SQ and QS it should be fine as is, although the better the cartridge, etc...

Well by coincidence I'm looking into all this right now (without much success I might add!) from what I can gather most SL-1200's should have phono cables with low enough capacitance for CD-4 with the exception of the last models made from sometime 2009 and when production finally stopped (so it would seem in the last year or so of production the cabling was changed for higher capacitance?).. there's a couple of online discussions about it I'll try and find them again and post back here.

In other words get an old SL-1200 and you should be alright for CD-4 but if you get a BNIB (Brand New In Box! acronyms eh.. might as well have just typed out in the first place! :D ) unless it was made pre-2009 you'd be FOOL (fresh out of luck! ah-ha! I pity the fool... that'd be me for getting embroiled in CD-4 hell, I can't even find a demodulator that's not "sold as seen".. if I'd known how difficult it would be to find one that was sold serviced and fully working, I'm not sure I would have bothered picking up all the CD-4 records! :ugham:)

I use a 1200mk2 for playing CD4 records using the OEM replacement Technics RCA cables from KABUSA and the Audio Technica AT440MLB cartridge. I am finding this to be a winning combination. Hope this helps. There were cables on some 1200s that were bad for CD4, but my replacements were because the shop I bought my 1200 from had put "audiophile" cables on and I couldn't get a carrier lock and all my records sounded muffled due to a bad capacitance match. I strongly recommend that if you go the CD4 route that you consider dedicating a 1200 for listening and if possibls, use two others for ykur DJing.

I use a 1200mk2 for playing CD4 records using the OEM replacement Technics RCA cables from KABUSA and the Audio Technica AT440MLB cartridge. I am finding this to be a winning combination. Hope this helps. There were cables on some 1200s that were bad for CD4, but my replacements were because the shop I bought my 1200 from had put "audiophile" cables on and I couldn't get a carrier lock and all my records sounded muffled due to a bad capacitance match. I strongly recommend that if you go the CD4 route that you consider dedicating a 1200 for listening and if possibls, use two others for ykur DJing.

That ties in, Matthew, with what I've been reading on the subject lately.. there are seemingly good Technics mods and bad Technics mods.. I'm looking for an un-modded one, with OEM everything (incl OEM rubber mat, unblemished lid, headshell, 45 adaptor! ;) ) with one careful home-user only (I don't want some knackered old wheel of steel road warrior a DJ has used and abused to the point of demise!).. finding that at the kind of price I want to pay is proving nigh-on impossible... and then there's trying to find a working CD-4 demodulator.. I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel..!! :D

Sorry Fred, I can't help much on the demodulator. I haven't seen anything to match your household current. Ykur best bet on that would be to try watcbing Japanese Yahoo auctions and find a 50/60 hz Technics and use a step up transformer from 100 volt to 220. Also, expect to buy your lid and accessories there too. They are cheaper than local and more plentiful. 1200s are common in Japan and often go cheap, even with shipping. You would need the transformer again though.

Sorry Fred, I can't help much on the demodulator. I haven't seen anything to match your household current. Ykur best bet on that would be to try watcbing Japanese Yahoo auctions and find a 50/60 hz Technics and use a step up transformer from 100 volt to 220. Also, expect to buy your lid and accessories there too. They are cheaper than local and more plentiful. 1200s are common in Japan and often go cheap, even with shipping. You would need the transformer again though.

Oh great stuff! Thanks for the tip!
(How do I bid on Japanese Yahoo Auctions btw? Looks scary!)
I've got a couple of step up transformers, would one not work on a CD-4 demodulator from Japan? (or the States or Canada? I don't care where one comes from I just want it to work! Lol..:rolleyes: )

Hi. fredblue

I bought a Lafayette SQ-W unit & a Sansui QSD-2 unit 6-7 years ago from the US. & got both recapted and calibrated to the service manual, cut a looong story short they are both 110 volts 60- 50 Herts and I use a step down transformer 230v to 110vs. I'm not shore weather you can do the same with something with a motor in it, if the turntable has 50-60 Herts on the unit you my be able to use a transformer in England & NZ the voltage is 230v 50 Herts..

Oh great stuff! Thanks for the tip!
(How do I bid on Japanese Yahoo Auctions btw? Looks scary!)
I've got a couple of step up transformers, would one not work on a CD-4 demodulator from Japan? (or the States or Canada? I don't care where one comes from I just want it to work! Lol..:rolleyes: )

Hi. fredblue

I bought a Lafayette SQ-W unit & a Sansui QSD-2 unit 6-7 years ago from the US. & got both recapted and calibrated to the service manual, cut a looong story short they are both 110 volts 60- 50 Herts and I use a step down transformer 230v to 110vs. I'm not shore weather you can do the same with something with a motor in it, if the turntable has 50-60 Herts on the unit you my be able to use a transformer in England & NZ the voltage is 230v 50 Herts..

Thanks BBQ! :upthumb
What equipment are you using for CD-4?

I'm new to quad, and I read about the low-capacitance stylus requirements for playing quad vinyl. Since I'd rather not have to buy a dedicated turntable just yet for quad, does anyone know if the Technics SL-1200MKII or MKIII (I have 1 of each) is suitable for the task? Obviously I need to get a special cartridge, but a nice thing about the 1200 is the ability to quick-change cartridges by removing the collar nut on the tonearm.

How would I determine the capacitance of the signal wires? If the capacitance is too high, how difficult of a mod would it be to replace them? If I replaced the wires, would that impact playback of other records (consider also that these TTs are used for mixing and scratching)?

Cheers!

I have a Technics SL 1800MK2 and it has the same feature as your 1200, the ability to change cartridges at will. I use 3 shells. First one has a Stanton 881 S for stereo, the second has an Audio Tec for CD-4 and the third has a special stylus for 45RPM discs. This Technics table I have was used frequently back in the day for CD-4 with great results. Never changed the cables on it. Perhaps it would have worked even better.

My Canadian market demodulators say only 60 hz on them which is why I suggested Japan as a source. Most of their stuff is rated for 50 and 60 hz. I know the UK is 50 hz. The only issue I have had so far is with DC motors in tape decks and turntables. AC motors in tape decks like old Teac reel decks or idler turntables would be rated for 50 OR 60 hz, not both. As to the Technics tables from Japan, I believe that all you need is to use the transformer or change a setting like the European models. As to the demodulator, I will look next time I am in my garage. If one of my JVC's says it works on 50 hz, I will pm you with an offer you can't confuse. As to bidding in Japan, Buyee.jp is a proxy service I use happily, much to the chagrin of my wallet and partner.

Well I guess I'll find out soon enough if I can get any of this stuff working with CD-4..
(just been on a bit of a shopping spree.. oops.. :eek: ..easily done isn't it..?
Ordered tonight an SL-1210 Mk2 (supposedly the one in the pic below, w/all the accessories in a box, think from the serial number; GE2DXXXXX its an April 2002 model?), a JVC 4DD-5 CD-4 demodulator (from the pics appears to be a 50hz/220v model; seller is based in Italy so seems promising), an Audio Technica AT-440MLb cart, a JVC CD-4 setup record and a Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaning machine (figured those finicky CD-4 records could do with all the cleaning help they can get! :eek: ).. so that's me wiped out for the rest of the year, see you in 2017..! :D

For what it is worth I use a Technics SL1200 MKII with standard cableing using either an Audio Technica AT440MLa or an Audio Technica AT15Sa along with a JVC4DD5 or Marantz CD400 demod according to what sounds best to me. It works just fine in my book.

My Canadian market demodulators say only 60 hz on them which is why I suggested Japan as a source. Most of their stuff is rated for 50 and 60 hz. I know the UK is 50 hz. The only issue I have had so far is with DC motors in tape decks and turntables. AC motors in tape decks like old Teac reel decks or idler turntables would be rated for 50 OR 60 hz, not both. As to the Technics tables from Japan, I believe that all you need is to use the transformer or change a setting like the European models. As to the demodulator, I will look next time I am in my garage. If one of my JVC's says it works on 50 hz, I will pm you with an offer you can't confuse. As to bidding in Japan, Buyee.jp is a proxy service I use happily, much to the chagrin of my wallet and partner.

Thank you for all your help, it is much appreciated :)
Let's see how I go with the demod I just ordered (from the pic on the eBay listing you can just make out the label on the underside of the unit detailing the 220v/50hz spec?)
Fingers crossed for my CD-4 folly I can get it up and running (I'm prepared for the worst! :yikes )

I see we have Fred truly addicted to 4.0 now!

Ah well, you guys know me by now, no half measures ;) :beer2

2507699.jpg

Money well spent! All those fantastic CD4 LPs must be desperate to escape the confines of the record sleeves and burst into the world in glorious Quad :banana:

Have you managed to get any of the Joni Mitchel yet?

Money well spent! All those fantastic CD4 LPs must be desperate to escape the confines of the record sleeves and burst into the world in glorious Quad :banana:

Have you managed to get any of the Joni Mitchel yet?

Ahh.. lets hope so Duncan, they're all tucked up snoozing in their sleeves at the mo, bless them.. :eek:
..not got any Joni yet, waiting til I find them locally (or at least in Europe) on the cheap but not falling to bits!
It might all end in tears anyway and I never get it going.. :D (even if it does and I can't get CD-4 to work at all, I will probably just end up running them thru the Surround Master as fizzywizzy suggested, for fits 'n' giggles if nothing else! :p )

Back