Media Players for Multi-channel Audio and Music Video

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the purpose of this? Maybe to break in those bits of ones and zeros?

I'm almost 58. Throughout my life I've gone through phases where I prefer silence for sleep or prefer having music going. I've been in the music mode for several years now and I find it nice to have something playing when I inevitably wake up multiple times throughout the night. Sometimes I'll be reminded of something I haven't heard in a long time, which is pretty common with a library that's currently over 100,000 tracks. I also find it fun to go back through the list in the morning just to see which albums I was aware of and which I was not.

I'm retired, so I don't necessarily have to get up at a particular time, which means the music doesn't need to compete with a wakeup device.

As I'll be 60 this year, I'm coming to realise that paying for this expensive music and 5.1 music addiction (oh, and the equipment upgrades) means that retiring in a few years may not be on the cards :howl Friends have already retired, some at 55, but they had the good fortune to be in company final salary pension schemes, unlike my private one :(

Damn, retired at 58!!! So lucky...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I'll be 60 this year, I'm coming to realise that paying for this expensive music and 5.1 music addiction (oh, and the equipment upgrades) means that retiring in a few years may not be on the cards :howl Friends have already retired, some at 55, but they had the good fortune to be in company final salary pension schemes, unlike my private one :(

Current pension projection for people my age (41) in The Netherlands is 70 years. :yikes

....I'm almost 58. Throughout my life I've gone through phases where I prefer silence for sleep or prefer having music going. I've been in the music mode for several years now and I find it nice to have something playing when I inevitably wake up multiple times throughout the night. Sometimes I'll be reminded of something I haven't heard in a long time, which is pretty common with a library that's currently over 100,000 tracks. I also find it fun to go back through the list in the morning just to see which albums I was aware of and which I was not.

For a few years now, and especially after my botched back surgery in 2011 when my brain was pushing against my cranium because of the lack of spinal fluid for a couple of weeks because of a hole in my spinal sac (yes, it's a WICKED headache), I've become WAY too sensitive to sound and I'm not able to sleep for more than ONE HOUR straight without pharmaceutical help, I created a white noise DVD that I play every night-especially when you live in an apartment building with non existing acoustic isolation.
The DVD runs for 5 hours straight and I authored it so that it repeats itself---even my wife has a setup where she plays it too (yes, we have separate bedrooms----we've always had; they say that it's a luxury, and, it is!).
A cheap DVD player and a boom box with an aux in, or , in my case, my Peavey PA with one speaker...but , of course , not too loud...

Now, whenever we travel I have to wear earplugs (she does too, cause we share the bed and I snore like a wood chipper).

But, you wouldn't believe how much the white noise helps!

Sorry for the derail...

I got this question via PM and think the answer should be public for others:

jeffko said:
Is there another - less expensive than intel and more expensive than raspberry?

Thanks

Jeff

The WETEK Hub with free LibreElec (A Linux version of Kodi) works perfectly for HiRes MCH Audio including FLAC and for 1080p Video including DTS-HDMA/TrueHD Audio stream - ideal for hires concerts.

About 90 Euros https://wetek.com/product/wetek-hub

It's only compatible with powered USB drives like this one:
http://www.seagate.com/au/en/consumer/backup/expansion-hard-drive/

It has LAN and WiFi for connection to a NAS Server or PC. I'd recommend the LAN connection for hi res audio/video.

You'll need to add a microSD card (16GB would be fine) - I'd recommend a Samsung EVO+ (80Mbps read 20Mbps write) but it comes in 32GB min - not expensive though.

THX
Garry

Back