Multichannel HDMI to Analog box (up to 7.1)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I will concentrate on multichannel compatibility for music (audio only and music video). Suitable hardware will play quad, 5.0 and 5.1 - many will play 7.1 and new Dolby Atmos/DTS:X via HDMI pass-through.

What about a analog decoding of multichannel up to 7.1, using a hdmi audio renderer? Something like that (no commercial promotion intended):
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Extraktor-Si...361150?hash=item51e70738be:g:l08AAOSwOVpXbiQS

65007K1.jpg

This looks interesting although the link is not in English.

This looks like it will take the HDMI output from a media player and decode to mch analog out. So a solution to those that do not have an AVR/amp with HDMI inputs.

(Moved from opening post - I think it needs its own thread)

Devices like that are on the market by at least 7-8 years; they do take a hdmi signal and convert it to analog audio out. The hdmi input is on the opposite side of the hdmi output.
It does have a hdmi validator circuit inside, so you can use it for example on a tablet with hdmi output and it will work as a hdmi multichannel soundcard even without any monitor connected on the hdmi output.
In short, a good companion if you have an all-analog system or you're missing hdmi input on the receiver.

Devices like that are on the market by at least 7-8 years; they do take a hdmi signal and convert it to analog audio out. The hdmi input is on the opposite side of the hdmi output.
It does have a hdmi validator circuit inside, so you can use it for example on a tablet with hdmi output and it will work as a hdmi multichannel soundcard even without any monitor connected on the hdmi output.
In short, a good companion if you have an all-analog system or you're missing hdmi input on the receiver.

Thanks for the clarification!

There is one similar to this except it is usb and $400. Not many reviews on it however. There was also a nice Yamaha receiver with hdmi and multichannel preouts for around $400 new.

Any pointer for this USB device? BTW, the one i've posted elsewhere is on the 50$ price range...

Oh, I get it , the HDMI out is passthrough. Last time I looked into one of these, it was one that downsampled.

Last time I looked into one of these, it was one that downsampled.
I'm thinking of getting a HDMI-5.1 Analog converter for my STB and it's has been a pain. Audio-only coaxial/optical to analog 5.1 converters seem a simpler solution but the ones I've seen look like trash to me.

I guess I'll have to get one and check 1) if it is HDCP compatible and 2) it doesn't downconvert the video. If it is compatible but downconverts, I'll get an HDMI splitter.

I just stumbled onto this last week myself, while looking at the exaSound e28. My hope is to connect the U-DAC8 to a Raspberry pi running Volumio for headless playback, but I haven't seen any concrete info that this particular DAC is supported or that Volumio even recognizes multichannel files. It would be nice if it did DSD, even at an increased price, since for standalone DACs the e28 seems to be the lowest cost solution right now.

The UDAC-8 sounds like a great little piece of gear, regardless. Did you manage to turn it into a giant killer, as you hoped?

I just stumbled onto this last week myself, while looking at the exaSound e28. My hope is to connect the U-DAC8 to a Raspberry pi running Volumio for headless playback, but I haven't seen any concrete info that this particular DAC is supported or that Volumio even recognizes multichannel files. It would be nice if it did DSD, even at an increased price, since for standalone DACs the e28 seems to be the lowest cost solution right now.

The UDAC-8 sounds like a great little piece of gear, regardless. Did you manage to turn it into a giant killer, as you hoped?
With some tweaks, it was more than good with the system I used it in. It ain't an exaSound or a NADAC but it's a bargain at the price (and given its defined limitations).

Ever get that going?

Back