Glossary/Technical Acronyms Thread?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
Do we need a sticky post for 'Glossary/Technical Acronyms' etc ?

Many of our posts are technical, would this make things easier for 'newbies'?

Examples:
Dual Boot
NAS
SSD
OpenELEC
LibreELEC

Reactions: PK
Ok lets do it then!

Any QQ Members willing to help out here?

If so please start posting in this thread any Glossary/Technical Acronyms you think should be added and I'll compile them into a single 'formal' sticky thread in next day or two. I'm pretty busy writing up other info right now :) Otherwise I'll do this over the weekend with luck... (I have an annual industry Christmas in July event on Friday so may be out of action on Saturday...)

Barebones:
A barebones PC is a computer that has minimal components. A typical barebones system includes a case, motherboard, CPU & usually a power supply but not always a hard drive or RAM. Most barebones systems are sold as kits, in which the components must be assembled by the user. An operating system is generally not included unless specified. Hence a barebones system could run any compatible operating system.

Linux:
An open source Operating System, or Linux OS, is a freely distributable, cross-platform operating system based on Unix that can be installed on PCs, laptops, netbooks, mobile and tablet devices, video game consoles, servers, supercomputers, BD players and more. (its an alternative to MS Windows, Apple's OS and Android OS)

NAS:
Network-attached storage (NAS) is a type of dedicated file storage device that provides local-area network local area network (LAN) devices with file-based shared storage through a standard Ethernet connection. Its multiple discs can be configured in a Mirrored Array for automated data redundancy (if one disc fails there's still a valid copy stored in the disc array). These are often designed to run 24/7 and are usually fairly energy efficient. Some modern NAS can also run complex apps such as email servers, SQL database servers, Web Servers, Security Camera management, BitTorrenting etc

NUC:
Next Unit of Computing (NUC) is a small-form-factor personal computer designed by Intel and best be described as a barebone, small form factor PC. They’re pretty small, about the size of an external hard drive, although some are even smaller. Despite their size, they still pack as much power as a regular desktop and are commonly used as home theater PCs, which combine the capabilities of PCs with home media centers, although they are also commonly used for programming and even gaming when hooked up to an HD television.

Root (Linux Operating System):
root is the user name or account that by default has access to all commands and files on a Linux or other Unix-like operating system. It is also referred to as the root account, root user and the superuser (Linux is case sensitive so root is not same as Root)

Reactions: PK
This one got me told off at H*ffman: obi = oriental bits inside.

Feel free to delete, as I appreciate it's not in the spirit of the thread.

Back