Media Players 103: Kodi File and Folder Organisation/Storage

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomerJAU

Moderator: MCH Media Players
Staff member
How to get the most out of playing Music in Kodi - My 3rd Blog/Post in the series (Second one here)

In this section I will discuss requirements and rules around how you should store your music media files to get maximum features and functionality from your Kodi media player experience.

About File Formats:
Kodi plays just about every music media file format (wav, mp3, FLAC, DTS etc) (not DSD). However, if we want to add our music to the Kodi Music Library (see below) we need to use a file format that supports 'tagging' (the addition of metadata to each music file). This tagged data is read by Kodi when a file is scanned (imported into the Library) and is used to create the Kodi Music Library database that users can interact with.

I am recommending using FLAC as its a universal free lossless codec (supporting hires and MCH) that's supported in just about every audio program (except iTunes!!) and can be played back on just about every media player and DVD/BD/AVR player/AVR that plays music from media files. Many of these other programs/players/amps also read and use the tagged metadata so effort won't be wasted if you decide to play them on other gear in the future. So its FLAC as far as these QQ threads are concerned.

Browse and Play Media:
Firstly, Kodi can play media by using its conventional folder/file browser to navigate to a music file and click 'play'. Without using its 'Library' feature, without 'tagging' or any Folder or File naming rules being followed. However, using Kodi without a Library means you lose many of its great features (see Kodi Music Library below). I strongly recommend using Kodi's Music Library, if in doubt just go through the process below on a couple of albums and try it out!

Kodi Music Library (= more work but far better user experience for playback)
By using Kodi's Music Library you create a database of your Artists and all their Albums (and tracks) you have on your hard disc(s). The Music Library db gives you:

• Search/Sort/Filter/Display (by artist, album, year, genre etc)
  • Ability to create smart playlist and queue songs for auto playback
  • Ability to use smart phone and tablets to play music without a TV screen connected to the media player (Headless playback)
  • Ability to find and display metadata biography, artist photographs, album art (cover and disc images), genre, release date etc

Even if you are not interested in the metadata and images: I strongly recommend organizing your music media as described here for the first 3 features above alone.

To get all of the above features you need to do three things:

1. Use a fairly rigid Folder structure for your music files
2. Tag your music files with basic Artist/Album data
3. Add your folder structure as a 'Music Source' in Kodi and 'Scan' the contents **

** Adding a new Source in Kodi is way more difficult than it should be - In Kodi 17 (next version) they've simplified this at last (hooray!)

Media File Storage - Folder Structure and naming:
Let's start by assuming we're going to use an external USB hard drive for our media (You can use another PC, Server or NAS but those options require a network connection - to be discussed later). For now lets assume we will use Kodi and you have your media as FLAC files already (see the upcoming 'Conversion' thread), lets copy them onto a new USB drive ready for use in Kodi:

Firstly I'd recommend adding 'Root' folder, then under that folder we must add a folder for each artist and under each artist a folder for each Album (actually each album release):

My USB is H:

Here is a sample of what the Folder structure is (Root folder: 'Audio Surround', Artist Folder: 'Pink Floyd' and Album Folders:
folders.png

Note there are 4 optional additional files in the artist folder (Pink Floyd folder) which are explained later in this post.

The only critical naming in the folder structure is the ARTIST NAME - This must match the tagged Artist Name and match the actual artist name as this is used to scrape (auto find and retrieve) other metadata, photos etc. To scrape the Albums only the Tagged Album name seems to be required (it looks like the text in parentheses is ignored...) The actual album folder name does not appear to be important to Kodi - I just used a suffix to identify which folder was which release for my own ease of use and sanity.

So that's not too restrictive or demanding (if you are starting from scratch). Even if you already have existing FLAC files they are no doubt stored in folders by album name so maybe just a bit of reorganisation.

I used to have all my albums stored in folders like this (one folder per album with Artist name in the folder name):
\Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (BDA Quad)
\Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (BDA 5.1)

So I wrote a small app to auto move and rename to the Kodi structure (Let me know if you want this app - Windows only)

File Naming:
If you tag your music Kodi doesn't care about the track name. However, I'd recommend naming each track after the song title and prefixing with the track number (sequence) so that looking at the files will make sense to you or if you want to create a Playlist you know what file/song to select.

The FLAC Files are in each album folder:
files.png

There are manyTagging programs and Conversion programs that auto name files for albums using the tag data (Track No. and Song Title) - more later. Also there are 3 extra additional files , only 1 is needed: folder.jpg is an image of the album cover, the others are discussed later in this post. Note: Recent versions of Kodi use discart.png not cdart.png for the disc image shown above.

Tagging Your Files:
If your music files don't already have tags for: Album, Artist, Album Artist, Year (of release) and Genre - then you should add/edit the tags. (Remember Tags get scanned into the Kodi Music database to give us lots of functionality I mentioned earlier)

There are many free programs, some are cross platform (Windows/Mac etc). It seems everyone has their own favourite as well as something they dislike (A thread on Tagging Programs to come I think). Anyway, I'd have been using Tagscanner for years and I like it a lot. Kodi forum recommends MusicBrainz Picard, which I've tried but it seems more complicated that it should be... (but that's probably because I already know Tagscanner and never bothered to look at MB Picard more closely...)

TagScanner website
MusicBrainz Picard website

In either program the goal is to select and load your media files then add the Album, Artist, Album Artist, Year and Genre. Now this should not be about typing in wads of data as most Tagging programs will recognise or can seacrh for an artist and album and the auto load the albums tracks/song titles etc. That's the way to do it.

Here's a typical screen in Tagscanner showing tags for a couple of the Pink Floyd albums in my example earlier:
Tagscanner.png

Of course, there are always some limited edition releases (especially with MCH) that will require a bit of manual data entry.

Hey! Don't Panic! Remember - Most Conversion programs can auto tag during the conversion process (or immediately after)

Kodi page on Tagging here Music tagging - Official Kodi Wiki

UPDATE: THE FOLLOWING IS NOT REQUIRED UNLESS YOU WANT TO CUSTOMISE KODI TO DISPLAY YOUR OWN DISC IMAGES, ARTIST LOGOS AND CONTROL YOUR OWN FANART FOR SLIDESHOWS AND BACKGROUNDS
(you do not need to do any of this to play MCH music (or any other music) using Kodi or to use an automated slideshow or see artist logos etc - This is totally optional)

Additional files and folders for each Artist folder:
(this is not critical its optional - you can do this at any time )

Kodi uses 4 additional files in the Artist folder in its user interface (if the current Skin supports these features). These files support images and info that is Artist Specific.

Example image from an Artist Slideshow showing how these addional files are used (look for the number key below):
Example_Slide.jpg

(refer to the numbered key in figure above)
logo.png - The Artist logo (4)
fanart.jpg - Background Image (typically 1920 x 1080) - not used in the Slideshow - See image (A) in next figure
folder.jpg - Artist thumbnail (typically 700 x 700) - image (B) in next figure
artist.nfo - an XML (text file) with metadata - Biography, Date formed/born, Disbanded/Died etc)
extrafanart (a folder) - this holds the images used by the automatic Artist Slideshow (if option enabled in Kodi) while the Artist's music is playing (1)

The resolution is not critical for the last two images (Kodi auto scales those to fit the your screen/skin). Fanart (including images in the extrafanart folder) ideally will be in HD 1920 x 1080 if you have an HD TV.

You can copy your own images into each Artist folder or you can use a free scraper program to do it automatically (download over the web). I have been using MediaElch to do this link. This will auto create all 4 extra files above (assuming that data/images exist on the web in its search).

MediaElch gets most of its data - biography, artist logos, fanart from The AudioDb (I'd encourage you to visit this website where you can view, download and upload info/images on artist and albums, its a community effort for sharing music metadata, both artist and album data (not music media). Here's The Audio Dbs page for Pink Floyd: Here You can contribute with your on data photos.

MedaiElch can be found here

Additional files in each Album folder:
(refer to the numbered key in figure above) These files support images and info that is Album Specific
folder.jpg - The album Cover (600 x 600 recommended) (2) (5 - the next song's album art) I use 800x800.
Discart.png (was cdart.png) Disc scan/image (typically 1000 x 1000) (3)
album.nfo - an XML (text file) with album metadata (release info etc)

Skins:
Kodi has various 'Skins' that alter the look and feel of the on screen Kodi user interface. Specific 'views' such as the Music Artist view below can be selected by the user (last view is saved as the default view for future). This is the 'List' view which a user can scroll through. Selecting an Artist will then show the 'Artists Allbum view. In turn this view can be changed - List, Album Covers etc (pretty straight forward):
Kodi_Artist_Menu.png

The graphics for the above Alice Cooper 'Artist view' consists of the large 'fanart' picture in the background (typically 1920 x 1080) (fanart.jpg from the Artist folder) and the artist 'thumbnail' (typically 700 x 700) (folder.ppg from the Artist folder) although resolution in Kodi is not critical. These image files reside in the Artist folder and can be saved there by a user or you can somewhat automatically 'scrape' or add those with free applications and add-ons. Nearly all my images were gathered automatically

These extra files mentioned in the Artist and Album folders are also used in the various Remote Control apps (for smart phones and tablets) I mentioned in an earlier post:

These next two shots of remote control app show various 'folder.jpg' images discussed in this post:
KMR1.png

image2.png

Last edited:
that sounds like a lot of work

I installed kodi the other night on my PC. I liked about half of it and hated the other half.

I uninstalled it and went back to foobar and powerdvd.

I can see where using it with a remote only (no mouse) makes sense but didn't window's invent that with Windows Media Player (WMP) years ago? lol

looks like kodi is just WMP on steroids

To use Kodi headless with only a tablet/smartphone, connected to LAN/NAS and considering a VAST library (>5000, by definition of the Logitech Media Center), how powerful has to be the tablet/smartphone in order to use it effectively?
Everything i have tried outside Foobar just lags, even the Synology specific apps.

I installed kodi the other night on my PC. I liked about half of it and hated the other half.

I can see where using it with a remote only (no mouse) makes sense but didn't window's invent that with Windows Media Player (WMP) years ago? lol

My take is that Kodi can't be beat for movies on local storage devices, but for music, it wasn't as perfect. I use a combination of Foobar, Musicbee and jRiver. Mostly use Musicbee. I do have my standard redbook cd two channel stuff in Kodi and it is fine. Remote control with my Harmony is a bonus, but it just doesn't handle some multichannel formats on my pc. When I upgrade my pc again someday, I will give Kodi another chance because the interface is so sweet and the remote control is so simple and functional.

It is. There's no denying that.

When I'm at my PC, I use foobar and VLC. Kodi's 10-foot/remote control interface is great for when I'm using my TV, which is where my surround system was (sadly it's dead for now), but not when I'm at my laptop, PC, etc. The great thing is that I can access my files from either setting without worry.

didn't window's invent that with Windows Media Player (WMP) years ago? lol

This is pretty accurate but doesn't capture the whole story; Kodi started out as the media player for hacked original XBOX hardware and has matured from there. The project goals are pretty different from MS's, though, as Kodi has always been about diversification of format support and integration of community requested features where Windows Media Center/Windows Media Player were vehicles to pimp MS's own A/V format variants WMA and WMV, content store, and eventually VC-1 and HD-DVD. New features have usually been added if and when MS feels like it and their implementation is often kind of "meh." For example, MS only added FLAC and MKV support to Windows and WMP after it sunset WMC, which is what Kodi really competes against, meaning that compared to Kodi WMC is pretty gimped in terms of real-world functionality.

The only mandatory requirement to get your music files into The Kodi Library is Tagging.

I may edit my first post and split this into two threads:
103 Getting your Music into Kodi Music Library
203 Setting up Artist Slideshows, Fanart and metadata (How to make a Great User Interface for Music)

Tagging is required in Foobar and JRiver etc too, so no additional work if you're using those.

Kodi was named XBMC (XBox Media Center) which was based on the concept Windows Media Centre/Player most probably

Reactions: PK
To use Kodi headless with only a tablet/smartphone, connected to LAN/NAS and considering a VAST library (>5000, by definition of the Logitech Media Center), how powerful has to be the tablet/smartphone in order to use it effectively?
Everything i have tried outside Foobar just lags, even the Synology specific apps.

I use two remote apps both on a iPad bought 5 years ago and everything works instantly. Even with all my artist and album cover thumbnails in the screen shots above. I believe those images are cached locally on the iPad. So navigation, scrolling etc and sending commands is immediate. My music library has around 1000 albums, MCH and stereo.

Of course perceived delay can be network related. In my main music room I have a 1Gb 8 port switch (cabled back to my home office with my 1Gb router, cable modem, PC and NAS). I have a wireless access point my music room connected to the 8 port switch. My Media player, HD Cable Tv box, Oppo, TV and Amp via LAN to the 5port switch too. So it's pretty fast.

When I'm at my PC, I use foobar and VLC. Kodi's 10-foot/remote control interface is great for when I'm using my TV, which is where my surround system was (sadly it's dead for now), but not when I'm at my laptop, PC, etc. The great thing is that I can access my files from either setting without worry.

Good point. I do the same. My music is on a NAS (server). When I'm in my office I playback on my Windows desktop using Foobar and when in my main room it's Kodi with a 65" TV. Same source files.

I use two remote apps both on a iPad bought 5 years ago and everything works instantly. Even with all my artist and album cover thumbnails in the screen shots above. I believe those images are cached locally on the iPad. So navigation, scrolling etc and sending commands is immediate. My music library has around 1000 albums, MCH and stereo.

There's quite a difference between 1000 and >5000, that was the reason for the questions.
Until i use any software to index only the "Various Artists" folder, which is on the 1100-something albums, everything works ok.
When i add the "Artists" folders... enter the brakes. Unfortunately "size does matter" (copyright Godzilla).
BTW, Lan is all Gigabit from the main 24-port to the several access point, gigabit with 300n wifi, nas (synology and netgear) are gigabit too.

Kodi scans your music files and loads the tag data (artist, album etc) and file name/folder location into its music database. The data being displayed is being processed from the indexed database so that may help performance for a large music collection. With that many files I'd recommend a NUC as that will use a fast SSD drive for its database.

Of course the actual initial scanning/loading of 5000 albums is going to take a while. But subsequent rescans only looks for new albums so that it quite fast as it compare files to its database records..

When I add a new album to Kodi the scan takes about 60 seconds, although I've not measured it, it feels like 60s :) and you can play music while scanning anyway.

Garry I love these threads you are doing. I have some specific questions.

1. I assume there is no problem with having a directory structure as follows: Multimedia/Multichannel/DVDA to flac transfers/artist folder/album folders
Multimedia/Multichannel/DIFF to flac transfers/artist folder/album folders

I use a similar structure for stereo files: Multimedia/Stereo/CD to flac transfers/artist folder/album folders
Multimedia/Stereo/DVDA to flac transfers/artist folder/album folders

Any downside to that? It just makes more sense in my mind to keep separate master directories based on source type and output format.

2. I also use Tagscanner. When I tag I allow the program to imbed the same album art for each song. Other than using more disc space, is there any downside to allowing that? It seems Kodi finds the album art just fine without the addition of a "folder.jpg" file in the album directory. Is there a downside to this?

Last edited:
1) If you're using these names as an example, fine; in real world situation, don't ever do something like

Multimedia/Multichannel/DVDA to flac transfers/artist folder/album folders

which is already 74 characters long, out of 255 total on a given path. Use something shorter, or you may have the downside that combination of artist and/or titles very long simply can't stay below 255 char thus doing a error. This can happen frequently on classical music, where artist, conductor and soloist are all listed in the album artist tag.

2) i prefer to create myself the folder.jpg at 600x600 so i am sure of what it is and if i need to change the album art i need only th replace the folder.jpg inside the specific folder.

LuvMyQuad@ That looks ok except the length of the first three parent folder names in the tree as winopener said for basic Kodi use but if you want to use the AtrtistSlideshow Kodi addon and use your own fanart then you need to configure the location of your images (the parent folder) and that only allows for one entry.

So you if you want to use your own than your proposed naming may be a problem later.

So I can identify what the original album source for my FLACS (which is why you are naming in your post, right?) I do two three things:
1. I add a suffix to the album folder e.g Wish You Were Here (SACD)
thats ts just so when I look at the folder/files I can see the source (a DVDA, SACD etc)

2. I add the same info to my Album Name tag
So when it plays on my media player I can see that on my screen and I see it in my remote control apps (smart phone/tablets)
3. More recently I've started adding more detail about the source in a notes tag, for example: From 2010 Immersion Box BDA etc

So I can see the original disc source in my Windows Explorer and In my Media Player

Regarding Album cover art: Personally I wouldn't worry about the additional size of the FLAC files with embedded jpg image. But to answer your question, I have noticed that Kodi will use the embedded cover art in some of its displays and because I do embed always I can't give a definitive answer on effects when covers are not embedded.

This reminds me: I have a Windows app that scans all my music and creates a report showing all the albums I have with artist, album, and codec info (24/96, 24/48, 24/88.2 - it actually scans each FLAC to get bit/sample rates etc). If anyone wants it let me know. You end up with a csv file that imports into Excel to allow sort/filter, pretty printing etc)

It was handy to find some DTS stuff I did early on that was in 24/96 but I converted at 24/48. It also has a tool to automatically find all 4 channel FLACS and add a silent 5th (centre) to them all as my new Denon X7200WA wouldn't play quad FLAC!!! Is that on all Denon's?

LuvMyQuad@ That looks ok except the length of the first three parent folder names in the tree as winopener said for basic Kodi use but if you want to use the AtrtistSlideshow Kodi addon and use your own fanart then you need to configure the location of your images (the parent folder) and that only allows for one entry.

So you if you want to use your own than your proposed naming may be a problem later.

So I can identify what the original album source for my FLACS (which is why you are naming in your post, right?) I do two three things:
1. I add a suffix to the album folder e.g Wish You Were Here (SACD)
thats ts just so when I look at the folder/files I can see the source (a DVDA, SACD etc)

2. I add the same info to my Album Name tag
So when it plays on my media player I can see that on my screen and I see it in my remote control apps (smart phone/tablets)
3. More recently I've started adding more detail about the source in a notes tag, for example: From 2010 Immersion Box BDA etc

So I can see the original disc source in my Windows Explorer and In my Media Player

Regarding Album cover art: Personally I wouldn't worry about the additional size of the FLAC files with embedded jpg image. But to answer your question, I have noticed that Kodi will use the embedded cover art in some of its displays and because I do embed always I can't give a definitive answer on effects when covers are not embedded.

This reminds me: I have a Windows app that scans all my music and creates a report showing all the albums I have with artist, album, and codec info (24/96, 24/48, 24/88.2 - it actually scans each FLAC to get bit/sample rates etc). If anyone wants it let me know. You end up with a csv file that imports into Excel to allow sort/filter, pretty printing etc)

It was handy to find some DTS stuff I did early on that was in 24/96 but I converted at 24/48. It also has a tool to automatically find all 4 channel FLACS and add a silent 5th (centre) to them all as my new Denon X7200WA wouldn't play quad FLAC!!! Is that on all Denon's?

I do the same as you do for item #1
For item #2, I don't include the original source in the album tag (like SACD) but I do include the number of channels as a suffix, like (2.0) or (5.1)

I keep a folder in the root directory for artist thumbnails and load it with .jpg's that I need for artist photos that kodi cant seem to scrape, and I assign them manually. I also want to mention that kodi can sometimes take days or even weeks to scrape artist info. One day there is none, three days later it shows up.

All my "year" tags are a mess. I really would prefer the original album release date as opposed to the release date of the particular release that i'm using to import tag data. I don't sort anything by year, but if the tags were correct, I might. I know I can edit them during tagging, but I never take the time. Maybe one day when im really, really bored.....

With respect to your Denon, why couldant you just set kodi to always output everything in 5.1 or 7.1? It just outputs silence for the unused channels when playing 2.0 and 4.0 flac and the pre pro always sees 5.1. It has the advantage (with my pre pro anyway), of not producing low level but audible pops when the format changes based on the source material or sample rate. In fact my pre pro sometimes will not change from 2.0 to 5.1 unless I fully stop and then restart playback.

I don't want to get you off topic, so when you get to the proper thread in the series, explain how to get kodi to display the bit depth and sample rate of the file it is playing. I would find that useful.

Keep the threads rolling. They are an excellent source of information.

The Denon quad issue is a bug. It's info graphic shows 4 ch input and 4 ch output (or 7.1 if I select DTS:Neural:X upmix) but it never actually outputs anything but stereo (the front L & R all other speakers are silent)

That Kodi setting doesn't set its output it just sets the max speaker numbers I think, or is there another option for more processing that I've not seen?

Various skins have options to display channel configuration and bit/sample rates on the screen will playing. The default (Confluence) skin doesn't show it. (More on Kodi skins and customisation coming in a new thread.

That Kodi setting doesn't set its output it just sets the max speaker numbers I think, or is there another option for more processing that I've not seen?

Look at system/settings/system/audio output/audio configuration menu. You can select "fixed", "optimized" or "best match". Selecting "fixed" then brings up a menu for specifying channel configuration and sample rate. For example, if you choose 5.1 channels and 192 kHz, it will output that configuration regardless of what the source material actually is. I know based on what the pre pro displays on its status screen that the selected kodi format is what is actually being received.

There is another setup option on the same main setup menu to specify the maximum number of channels. I believe this controls when kodi goes into a mixdown mode.

I assume when a 2.0/44.1 kHz stream is processed by kodi to output 5.1/192kHz it just outputs empty streams for the unused channels and pads the output with zeros for the additional samples. I cant detect any audible difference when playing back with the fixed format option and my prepro never misses a beat.

Hi Garry,

I am interested in knowing what build of Kodi you are currently operating on?

Please can you PM these details to me if you have time.

I have downloaded what I believe to be the latest version of 7 (for my raspberry Pi this reads 7.95.3).

I am creating fan art for this, but frustratingly cannot get external internet access to download skins, etc. Can't work out why? (The reason for the download was to try again to connect to their 'add on' functionality, alas again to no avail. I have an ethernet connection so I would not think that this would be so difficult?)

Frustratingly I also cannot now configure the bluetooth access for my keyboard, which removes most of the functionality I had with the prior build I had downloaded. (As I cannot get internet access, I also cannot get remote access via my iPhone. Errrrrrrr).

I have searched the Kodi support forums, but feel I am trying to locate a needle within a haystack.

Regards

Woody.

Hi Garry,

I am interested in knowing what build of Kodi you are currently operating on?

Please can you PM these details to me if you have time.

I have downloaded what I believe to be the latest version of 7 (for my raspberry Pi this reads 7.95.3).

I am creating fan art for this, but frustratingly cannot get external internet access to download skins, etc. Can't work out why? (The reason for the download was to try again to connect to their 'add on' functionality, alas again to no avail. I have an ethernet connection so I would not think that this would be so difficult?)

Frustratingly I also cannot now configure the bluetooth access for my keyboard, which removes most of the functionality I had with the prior build I had downloaded. (As I cannot get internet access, I also cannot get remote access via my iPhone. Errrrrrrr).

I have searched the Kodi support forums, but feel I am trying to locate a needle within a haystack.

Regards

Woody.

Kodi 7.95.3 is a beta version of Kodi 8.0 (Code named Krypton). It is not current as 8.0 is now released.

Are you using a LibreELEC build? (Recommended)

I have two SSD drives for my NUC - one running Kodi 7.0 (code named Jarvis) and one Kodi 8.0. Both working with a Aeon Nox SiLVO skins that support good audio features like Artist Slideshow and display of album cover and disc images.

The official Kodi Remote app for IOS (free) should connect to your Kodi device automatically if both your iPhone and Kodi device are connected to same router. You should also be able to connect to the Kodi device from your MAC (in Windows I just enter \\Kodi IP Address in Windows Explorer.

Jump on the Kodi forum in Hardware section and look for RPi threads or on the LibreELEC forum if you are using LibreELEC.

If all else fails I have a spare WETEK Hub with 16GB SD Card and LibreELEC installed that's working you can have for cost (around $140 - only ever used for testing - I bought 5. 4 have gone to friends around Melbourne). These support 4K Video, 96/24 MCH FLAC and 1080p/DTS-HDMA MCH MKV etc via HDMI. You are welcome to trial it first.

Hi Garry,

I have taken your advice and have downloaded Kodi 8.0 based on LibreELEC build.

Is the skin you use the same as Aeon Nox? (I could not see the SILVO reference on the add on I downloaded- so I presume the Nox is a different variant of this)

My problem appears to be home network related as when I connected directly via Ethernet I obtained the capicity to add on new skins, etc.

Problem I have is that my NAS/Kodi is approx 20 metres away from the ADSL+ connection point.

I have an Ethernet hub on my amp (Denon 4520) that I was hoping to establish a network connection on the multiple devices connected to it.

Since I removed the Ethernet cable from my NAS I have not been able to re-establish a DHCL link back to this via my browser (since reconnecting the Ethernet cable.) I still cannot work out why I cannot link via the wifi abilities of my raspberry Pi v. 3 device- which would eradicate the need for wired connection.

Even though I am getting internet connective via direct line Ethernet connection, I am having trouble adding on the path to my NAS- which stangely wasn't a problem on the earlier version of Kodi (7.95 from memory) ]

Tried looking at the Kodi Forums for Raspberry pi, and haven't been able to focus in quickly to a direct answer to my somewhat idiosyncratic problem.

As my problems appear to be more related to home Network set up I would be surprised if the WETEK Hub option you kindly provide would solve my logistical problems in setting up an adequate home Network.

Thanks for your help, as it is good to have multiple options, and your advice tends to bring me a step close to understanding what appears to be fundamental problems inherent in my set-up.

Back