Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Media Players 103: Kodi File and Folder Organisation/Storage

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Will probably pick up another Rpi (the lateast) and give it a try. Would be nice to be able to stream flac 5.1 without having to boot up a disc and screen to use the original dvd-a/blu's, etc.
    One of the nice things with Kodi. I can turn on my media player (boots straight to Kodi in about 5 seconds) then can play any track or album (from 1000+ albums) using my iPhone or iPad (no need to have any PC or TV screen running).

2. Likes dr. simple liked this post
    900 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't actually tried it yet (although did have kodi on my Rpi 2 briefly before moving to Volumio for 2 channel music) but when I last did some reading about a year ago I read about some problems with kodi and hi-res and it put me off.
    I suspect it's hardware/brand-dependent. Lots of people say they have nothing but great luck using a Pi for 5.1 FLAC, but I get lots of dropouts. I've decided to write it off to lousy HDMI implementation on Onkyo's part, but I could be wrong.

Kodi on a Pi also downsamples to 48k, though I'll leave it up to others to decide if this is audible.

So far, the best luck I've had is with an Oppo BDP-103 being fed DVD-A rips consisting of single files with cue sheets. That's been working consistently for me, but attempting the same trick with DSD has gone nowhere. The player just does nothing.

Level
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atrocity View Post
    I suspect it's hardware/brand-dependent. Lots of people say they have nothing but great luck using a Pi for 5.1 FLAC, but I get lots of dropouts. I've decided to write it off to lousy HDMI implementation on Onkyo's part, but I could be wrong.

Kodi on a Pi also downsamples to 48k, though I'll leave it up to others to decide if this is audible.

So far, the best luck I've had is with an Oppo BDP-103 being fed DVD-A rips consisting of single files with cue sheets. That's been working consistently for me, but attempting the same trick with DSD has gone nowhere. The player just does nothing.
    I beleive this is similar to what I read about a year back when I was looking at 5.1 on a Pi. From what I gather, the Pi should easily be able to handle 6 channels over HDMI, it's all down to the software and drivers available. I'm sure I read something about Kodi not only downsampling to 48k but also to 16bit, although that could be an older build.

Level
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I beleive this is similar to what I read about a year back when I was looking at 5.1 on a Pi. From what I gather, the Pi should easily be able to handle 6 channels over HDMI, it's all down to the software and drivers available. I'm sure I read something about Kodi not only downsampling to 48k but also to 16bit, although that could be an older build.
    When playing a FLAC file on Kodi via a Raspberry Pi, the screen indicates that the source remains unadulterated.

Regards Woody

6. Thanks Simon_LDT thanked for this post
    800 Club - QQ All Star
    Level
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I know first hand that the newer versions of Kodi (from 16.0 onward at least), do not down sample anything unless it is told to do so in the setup options.

8. Thanks Simon_LDT thanked for this post
    Likes Simon_LDT liked this post
    1K Club - QQ Shooting Star dr. simple's Avatar
    Level
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went through a little exercise in patience and thought I'd share with the group just in case anyone else experiences this. I'd be surprised if this hasn't already been mentioned.

First off, I'm still using Kodi 16.1 because it works. In the Audio output settings, I keep the "Output configuration" set to "Fixed", with the number of channels at 5.1 and the sampling rate limited to 192.0. When I use the "Best Match" configuration, my receiver struggles and I get the ol' two second cut off at the beginnings of songs. Even worse, if I play a stereo track it struggles and often doesn't go back to 5.1. So "Fixed" has always been my best option.

All that being said, tonight all tracks played only in stereo. Sure, switching configurations temporarily solved this, but at the expense of the aforementioned issues. I went around and around trying to figure this out. It was maddening.

Anyway, if you've read this far, here is the solution: Check the configuration of your soundcard. Windows updated itself (please tell me if you know a way to stop this in Windows 10) and somehow, and for God knows what reason, my soundcard defaulted back to stereo. I wish I would've looked there first!
    "You gotta always remember, the name of the game is 'What does it sound like?' That's always the end result - I don't care if you got 90 tracks. What does it sound like, baby?" - Ray Charles

10. Thanks JanBakker thanked for this post
    Likes JanBakker, himey liked this post
    Level
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsSocial
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dr. simple View Post
    I just went through a little exercise in patience and thought I'd share with the group just in case anyone else experiences this. I'd be surprised if this hasn't already been mentioned.

First off, I'm still using Kodi 16.1 because it works. In the Audio output settings, I keep the "Output configuration" set to "Fixed", with the number of channels at 5.1 and the sampling rate limited to 192.0. When I use the "Best Match" configuration, my receiver struggles and I get the ol' two second cut off at the beginnings of songs. Even worse, if I play a stereo track it struggles and often doesn't go back to 5.1. So "Fixed" has always been my best option.

All that being said, tonight all tracks played only in stereo. Sure, switching configurations temporarily solved this, but at the expense of the aforementioned issues. I went around and around trying to figure this out. It was maddening.

Anyway, if you've read this far, here is the solution: Check the configuration of your soundcard. Windows updated itself (please tell me if you know a way to stop this in Windows 10) and somehow, and for God knows what reason, my soundcard defaulted back to stereo. I wish I would've looked there first!
    Kodi is great for local movies ripped from blu-ray's and DVD's but for music files, I prefer Musicbee, jRiver and Foobar. I do use Kodi for two channel shuffle play however and the sound quality is equal to the others. Totally a preference thing. Glad you got it all sorted out.

12. Likes dr. simple liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12