Converting MCH discs 101: Overview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, THANK YOU Spock. But I have to ask, what in the world ever led you to this solution? I had tried ripping in Foobar, converting in Foobar, converting in AudioMuxer... but I never would have thought to convert a wav to a wav.

Wow. Crazy. Thanks!

Great that the solution worked for you - I read about this way to do it somewhere on the interweb :)

Now, what should a man do to get a 6.1 file of that track????? :mad:@:

Great that the solution worked for you - I read about this way to do it somewhere on the interweb :)

Now, what should a man do to get a 6.1 file of that track????? :mad:@:

One thing I recently noticed (and tried today to change) is that using your method, the file is downgraded from 24 to 16 bit. This happens when converting the original wav (wav1) to the new wav (wav2) in Foobar. I tried converting wav1 to wav2 in Foobar with the bit rate set at 24, and AudioMuxer only sees two channels.

One thing I recently noticed (and tried today to change) is that using your method, the file is downgraded from 24 to 16 bit. This happens when converting the original wav (wav1) to the new wav (wav2) in Foobar. I tried converting wav1 to wav2 in Foobar with the bit rate set at 24, and AudioMuxer only sees two channels.

I have noticed the same thing, but I believe the format for dts-cd anyway are 44.1/16? I'm not sure that it is so - and that the 24 bit is a result of an upsampling somewhere.

Maybe someone else knows?

I just purchased a sealed, new copy of Everclear - so much for the afterglow (DVD-Audio with 48/24 lossless)
Both DVD Audio Extractor and DVD Audio Explorer give me errors.

I'm just wondering if others have run into this problem with this particular disc? If not.....anyone willing to toss me a bone? :)
Sure, I could play it the old fashioned way (disc in Oppo) - but that goes against my religion....

Just sayin'

I just purchased a sealed, new copy of Everclear - so much for the afterglow (DVD-Audio with 48/24 lossless)

I'm just wondering if others have run into this problem with this particular disc? If not.....anyone willing to toss me a bone? :)
Sure, I could play it the old fashioned way (disc in Oppo) - but that goes against my religion....

Just sayin'

Snood'll be ur bone tosser.......umm that no sound right. :yikes

Either way, message sent.

Reactions: GOS

Just sayin'

I figured it out last night. It turns out I still have some things to learn. I had "activated" DVDFAbPasskey - which I thought I always needed to do and somehow that was stopping it from ripping. Just by chance, I exited out of the program and then the rip worked perfectly.

I never know what to do. Initially, I assumed passkey would work in the background, when it needed to work and whatever. Not so sure now. :confused:
Either way, I got the Everclear ripped with no issue.

Another comment. I find that if I don't rip for a few weeks, I tend to forget some of the process. You would think, by now, after successfully ripping hundreds of discs, I could do it in my sleep. Depending on the disc, sometimes it simply works flawlessly without much thought...other discs...not so much.

OK, so still no way to rip an SACD except with PS3 I guess?
No. That is not true. Oppo 103s and 105s and a handful of Pioneer & Sony BRD players all have the same mediatec chips that makes it possible. I would tend to think those options are easier to come by than a near-vintage PS3 with the correct firmware.

Last edited:
No. That is not true. Oppo 103s and 203s and a handful of Pioneer & Sony BRD players all have the same mediatec chips that makes it possible. I would tend to think those options are easier to come by than a near-vintage PS3 with the correct firmware.
Ah, of course. I'm sorry, I meant to say with software or some other cheap method. :rolleyes:

No. That is not true. Oppo 103s and 203s and a handful of Pioneer & Sony BRD players all have the same mediatec chips that makes it possible. I would tend to think those options are easier to come by than a near-vintage PS3 with the correct firmware.
Only the Oppo 103s have the Mediatek chips not the 203s I believe.

OK, so still no way to rip an SACD except with PS3 I guess?

No. That is not true. Oppo 103s and 105s and a handful of Pioneer & Sony BRD players all have the same mediatec chips that makes it possible. I would tend to think those options are easier to come by than a near-vintage PS3 with the correct firmware.

Only the Oppo 103s have the Mediatek chips not the 203s I believe.

sorry I should have said 103s and 105s... I'll correct my post

So what about the Oppo UDP-203 and UDP-205? Can they rip SACD?

...and Cambridge 752BD also works, which i used and keep even after getting an Oppo 205. Now I'm trying to find the best way to play my backed-up DVD-Audio ISO files (plus some nice ones offered via members here through the years) thru the 205's great DACs. J River handles the SACD ISO files very well, but can't work with DVDA versions. I actually have both an ISO playing Oppo 95 and Cambridge 751BD (the latter sounding better so currently in use)...but trying out some Kodi media players to see if anything works that i can hook directly into the 205. Then i could sell one of or both the Oppo and Cambridge units for a mint.

And hello to all...as although i've read plenty of info, i think this is my first post here :)

Last edited:
...and Cambridge 752BD also works, which i used and keep even after getting an Oppo 205. Now I'm trying to find the best way to play my backed-up DVD-Audio ISO files (plus some nice ones offered via members here through the years) thru the 205's great DACs. J River handles the SACD ISO files very well, but can't work with DVDA versions. I actually have both an ISO playing Oppo 95 and Cambridge 751BD (the latter sounding better so currently in use)...but trying out some Kodi media players to see if anything works that i can hook directly into the 205. Then i could sell one of or both the Oppo and Cambridge units for a mint.

And hello to all...as although i've read plenty of info, i think this is my first post here :)
Welcome to the forum.

Rather than trying to play DVD based ISO files, why not just convert them to FLAC ? There is no loss in quality, and Kodi (or any other media player) plays them with no problem.

...and of course the Oppo 205, which is the goal. The "issue" is doing that....times about 50 or more. I bought every major release back in the day for both DVDA and SACD, which of course is worth thousands on the open market now.

DVD-Audio extractor for one doesn't read ISO as source, and of course nothing reads the "AOB" files--so its either ISO or disc directly (per se) . What would be your best/quickest method for doing that FLAC conversion mentioned? Foobar? DVDA-Explorer? Is there a thread outlining an easy method?

...and of course the Oppo 205, which is the goal. The "issue" is doing that....times about 50 or more. I bought every major release back in the day for both DVDA and SACD, which of course is worth thousands on the open market now.

DVD-Audio extractor for one doesn't repad ISO as source, and of course nothing reads the "AOB" files--so its either ISO or disc directly (per se) . What would be your best/quickest method for doing that FLAC conversion mentioned? Foobar? DVDA-Explorer? Is there a thread outlining an easy method?
I would choose Foobar, simply because you could drag in all your iso's and have all converted at once. No need to repeat.

DVD-Audio extractor for one doesn't read ISO as source, and of course nothing reads the "AOB" files--so its either ISO or disc directly (per se) . What would be your best/quickest method for doing that FLAC conversion mentioned? Foobar? DVDA-Explorer? Is there a thread outlining an easy method?

You can open any ISO file with a zip reader. This will extract the Audio TS and Video TS folders from the ISO. You can then select those folders in DVDAE. You need to use the file input function, not the disk input function.

As Bluelightning stated above, Foobar is also a good choice. It has many other capabilities as well.

Back