Converting MCH discs 101: Overview

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of 30 April 2017 DVD Audio Extractor (Version 7.4) now supports decoding of DTS 96/24 and DTS-HDMA (Lossless) streams.

I updated my opening post adding this info (Previously DVDAE could only decode those codecs to 'DTS Core' (lossy 48/24).

I tested it on a BDA with DTS-HDMA converting to FLAC at 96/24 (y)

Wow! I hadn't even tried it lately....maybe I've give it a run tonight. :)

As of 30 April 2017 DVD Audio Extractor (Version 7.4) now supports decoding of DTS 96/24 and DTS-HDMA (Lossless) streams.

I updated my opening post adding this info (Previously DVDAE could only decode those codecs to 'DTS Core' (lossy 48/24).

I had no idea!!! For the last week I've been ripping my JT DVDs using DVD-AE "direct stream demux", followed by foobar to convert the .dts files to 96/24 flac... maybe I should actually DO the update when a program suggests it instead of always dismissing the prompt!

Thanks for the news:)

Thank you for this. I tend to delay those upgrades for a while. Without your post, it probably would have been a while before I realized how significant the upgrade is.

I don't see anything within my version of DVD-A Extractor that allows for upgrade. I have even purchased my copy, so you'd think there would be a simple "check for update" button.

I don't see anything within my version of DVD-A Extractor that allows for upgrade. I have even purchased my copy, so you'd think there would be a simple "check for update" button.

Eh, figured it out. You have to click on the DVD-A Explorer name in upper right. It just doesn't seem obvious.

OK - got it upgraded. Though, I guess I'm still a bit confused (as usual)
Just for fun, I popped in WarChild and opened up DVD-A/E and it shows the usual DTS 48/24 5.1 layer. I thought it would actually tell me that it found the 96/24 layer. Regardless, when I converted the 48/24 to flac and opened in foobar - it shows 96/24.

I just wish it would tell me upfront what the heck is available, so there is no confusion.

Just for fun, I popped in WarChild and opened up DVD-A/E and it shows the usual DTS 48/24 5.1 layer. I thought it would actually tell me that it found the 96/24 layer. Regardless, when I converted the 48/24 to flac and opened in foobar - it shows 96/24.

I just wish it would tell me upfront what the heck is available, so there is no confusion.

I haven't tried it yet, but I agree. I'm not a code guy, but you'd think it would be a relatively easy fix to change that track listing.

I haven't tried it yet, but I agree. I'm not a code guy, but you'd think it would be a relatively easy fix to change that track listing.

I will say, just to be transparent about what I saw...

IMG_6791.jpg

then...

IMG_6792.jpg

And - only if I chose to click on the dropdown, would I have seen this... (but why would I even know to do that? Never concerned myself with this before) Maybe that is the point where you can see that the 96,000 is even an option....before, I suppose that would not have shown up.

IMG_6793.jpg

Same here, Gene. I popped Barclay James Harvest "Once Again" in DVD-Audio Extractor and it said DTS 48/24. I just got the disc, so I thought maybe the 96/24 on the packaging was a misprint. Ripped it anyway, and there it is: DTS 96/24.

I'm wondering if any of you have successfully ripped the 6.1 DTS file from the title track of Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" DTS CD.

On this particular disc, the title track is in 6.1, but all the others are 5.1, and I ripped all the others with no problem.

I've tried MANY different - and often pointless - combinations, just to see if ANYTHING would work. I've tried ripping directly to flac with EAC, and then to wav with EAC and then to flac with Foobar, etc. etc., but I think the heart of the matter (pun intended) is in the fact that the title track is 6.1 rather than 5.1.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to rip this?

I'm wondering if any of you have successfully ripped the 6.1 DTS file from the title track of Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" DTS CD.

On this particular disc, the title track is in 6.1, but all the others are 5.1, and I ripped all the others with no problem.

I've tried MANY different - and often pointless - combinations, just to see if ANYTHING would work. I've tried ripping directly to flac with EAC, and then to wav with EAC and then to flac with Foobar, etc. etc., but I think the heart of the matter (pun intended) is in the fact that the title track is 6.1 rather than 5.1.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to rip this?

Spent some time myself, trying to get the 6.1 from that one, only getting 5.1. Hope that someone else comes up with a solution!

Another problem dts-cd is Engelstaub - Anderswelt - can't get it to sound like it should.

Spent some time myself, trying to get the 6.1 from that one, only getting 5.1. Hope that someone else comes up with a solution!

Another problem dts-cd is Engelstaub - Anderswelt - can't get it to sound like it should.

I'm not really interested in getting the 6.1, but I'd sure like to know how you got the 5.1. Did you have any problems getting the 5.1?

I'm not really interested in getting the 6.1, but I'd sure like to know how you got the 5.1. Did you have any problems getting the 5.1?

OK - you could try this:

Rip in EAC to Wav

Open the wav file in Foobar - convert it to Wav (it is already in Wav, but do it anyway - choose a different destination)

Open the "new" wav file in Audiomuxer (Tools/Audio Conversion), select the 7 channel audio track in left window, click the dts decoder, then choose the flac button.

This gives me a 5.1 flac of the first track on the dts cd.

OK - you could try this:

Rip in EAC to Wav

Open the wav file in Foobar - convert it to Wav (it is already in Wav, but do it anyway - choose a different destination)

Open the "new" wav file in Audiomuxer (Tools/Audio Conversion), select the 7 channel audio track in left window, click the dts decoder, then choose the flac button.

Thanks - I will try it this evening. Wav to wav - as you implied - doesn't make any sense, but we've seen crazier things on this forum!

After my positive experience with the Dolby TrueHD 6.1 on Sgt Pepper's I decided to try something. I ripped the DTS 5.1 96/24 from the Blu-Ray using the newest version of DVD Audio Extractor. Then I loaded the resulting FLAC tracks into Audacity and created 2 back channels. Then I populated these 2 new back channels with the right and left rear channels that were already there. I then saved those files as FLAC. Then I opened them up in dBPoweramp and wrote them into wav files. I had to do this because the Oppo refuses to play 7.1 flac files but it will play them in a wav wrapper. This takes up more disc space which sucks but I have tons of it on the Oppo at the moment (16 TB's) and I have 2 more 4 TB drives gathering dust. Anyway, talk about a huge boost in perceived sound quality! The 7 speakers (and the 2 subwoofers) are really getting full use now. I am really happy with the Pepper results and everything else I have done so far has also received a boost. It's like sitting with a set of surround sound 360 headphones on but with a lot more air. I think I have obtained this positive result because my rears are 5 feet off the floor beside the listening position pointing down and the back speakers (now containing the same information) are behind me. It's very cohesive now from front to back. Like having a new system. It was great before but now it's absolutely fantastic. I have heard nothing else as good.

Since there is only one track this way it's probably an authoring error similar to the Sgt Pepper True HD. Probably just a channel left open with nothing in it. The receiver would populate the back channel(s) with the information in the left and right rears. Just re-author the 5.1 you are able to extract and add the channel yourself.

Since there is only one track this way it's probably an authoring error similar to the Sgt Pepper True HD. Probably just a channel left open with nothing in it. The receiver would populate the back channel(s) with the information in the left and right rears. Just re-author the 5.1 you are able to extract and add the channel yourself.

Well, it's not so much that I want the 6.1, it's that I can't even get the 5.1. All I get is the two channel wav full of white noise.

Well, it's not so much that I want the 6.1, it's that I can't even get the 5.1. All I get is the two channel wav full of white noise.

The same result I was getting - before I tried the solution I wrote earlier.

Midnight Oil's dts cd Capricornia did also result in the first track full of 2 channel pink noise - but the rest of the tracks in 6.1. Used the new solution and now I also get the first track in 6.1.

Very strange... wonder if those programmers forgot to take dts-cd's in consideration when they update dts drivers/programs.

OK - you could try this:

Rip in EAC to Wav

First of all, THANK YOU Spock. But I have to ask, what in the world ever led you to this solution? I had tried ripping in Foobar, converting in Foobar, converting in AudioMuxer... but I never would have thought to convert a wav to a wav.

Wow. Crazy. Thanks!

Back