Marillion-Fear 5.1 DVD BLU-RAY SETS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy the SACD for the stereo layer, its a good album, its worth the price for that.

However, the surround layer is absolute sh*t, unlistenable, a very loud centre channel with some stuff in the other 4, centre is way too loud. I can replicate the surround by feeding the 2.0 through the amp with Dolby Pro Logic Game matrix decode switched on, and then turning the centre channel up by over 6db, its kind of mono with 4 effects channels. UGH!

I passed on my views to some nice people I know on the surround layer on the SACD, and why its a travesty (come back Silverline all is forgiven!) and sets the whole surround music scene back (surround must be helping sell albums/box sets, and make 'some' money for bands/labels, as we're seeing a few more these days), and the great e-mail response below (I really want a Mr. Ranty Mr. Men book to be published!)

Thank you Mr Ranty

Seriously, we do really appreciate that feedback and will let those we can know about it.

I finally received my deluxe edition. The book with the lyrics is fantastic, much alike Sounds and Happiness. I wonder if I missed any deadline, as I cannot find myself in the pledgers list...
The DVD-V has got three audio streams : two LPCM 48/24 with the album in stereo and its instrumental counterpart and DTS 48/24 in 5.1.
As someone pointed out before, H's voice is mainly isolated in the center channel although it appears at less volume in the fronts and too loud in the first two songs. The mix is not fully discrete, but there are definitely discrete elements on the rears sometimes. Nothing groundbreaking, but mix is average on these two songs. However, something changes when The Leavers start and the mix becomes quiet effective! In fact it's a he'll of a song that has put a wide smile on my face. Cannot comment much further as I'm in the middle of the listening, but a decent mix it is, light years away better from their previous ones.
By the way, if anyone who bought the SACD wants to listen to the real 5.1, please send me a private note and we'll see if anything can be done.

Reactions: pti
Someone has said on the Marillion forum that Steve Rothery, the band's guitarist, has posted on Facebook that they've asked Earmusic to withdraw the SACD from sale!

I am listening now to Marillion F.E.A.R, SACD in 5.1. I assume 5.0 as it says on package means no sub, however my sub is working moderately. I have Auddessy correction which always incorporates the sub. It sounds real good almost full on discrete, little trinkets coming out here and there. The center channel, vocals are strong, I am listening at 66db and really sounds good. My first Marillion disc and I like it musically. To me sounds like the concept of Pink Floyd but technically turned up like Steven Wilson. Happy I got it.

Wow, I thought others said SACD sounds like ass. Wish I knew for sure as I canceled my order...☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I thought others said SACD sounds like ass. Wish I knew for sure as I canceled my order...☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not at all. I have no problem with it. I will be honest, sometimes I think on these internet hobby, for fun, music forums, some can be way to critical almost as if they can listen to everything and hear only faults making themselves a true audiophile because only a true audiophile can detect what's wrong with a given release.
That is just not my style. I love surround music, I have a great machine and I like that I am always happy, oops my ego is exploding, sorry. This Marillion surround SACD is great, I am blown away as to the quality of sonic presence and play between the front and rears, piano keys starting front, shooting rear, drums nice and tight, big 80's synth program sound, great vocals, strings with reverb going from rear to front. Wow, call me, not an audiophile, I remain pretty happy.

Not at all. I have no problem with it. I will be honest, sometimes I think on these internet hobby, for fun, music forums, some can be way to critical almost as if they can listen to everything and hear only faults making themselves a true audiophile because only a true audiophile can detect what's wrong with a given release.
That is just not my style. I love surround music, I have a great machine and I like that I am always happy, oops my ego is exploding, sorry. This Marillion surround SACD is great, I am blown away as to the quality of sonic presence and play between the front and rears, piano keys starting front, shooting rear, drums nice and tight, big 80's synth program sound, great vocals, strings with reverb going from rear to front. Wow, call me, not an audiophile, I remain pretty happy.

This is completely different from any other review I've read so far. There are a lot of people on this board whose opinions I trust and they are portraying it as a tire fire.

This is completely different from any other review I've read so far. There are a lot of people on this board whose opinions I trust and they are portraying it as a tire fire.

I personally do not think you will be dissapointed if you like the type of music, and that you enjoy good surround music, not great, but good. I have just read 4 pages on this page and 95% of the talk is, should I buy it, somebody said, etc,etc. There are approx 4 people that have actually listened to the SACD 5.1 (label says 5.0) and the consensus is it is heavy center front, like I said, but a good mix. The type of music that Marillion plays is a very big sound where all instruments bleed into each other. I have a ton of surround discs and I have some that are so discrete they are irritating, like a blues music for instance where four instruments are parked in 4 different speakers, yes discrete, but no imagination. I am not saying I am better or worse than any other forum participant but if you notice I only pop up in comment when I actually have the disc, and I trust myself to enjoy or not enjoy a certain disc. I know it's about money but I have taken risks on certain music never to listen again and this new surround Marillion disc is fresh and I want to listen to it again. At approx 65 to 70db the surround on this disc will go wall to wall and I believe most people will be happy.

I personally do not think you will be dissapointed if you like the type of music, and that you enjoy good surround music, not great, but good. I have just read 4 pages on this page and 95% of the talk is, should I buy it, somebody said, etc,etc. There are approx 4 people that have actually listened to the SACD 5.1 (label says 5.0) and the consensus is it is heavy center front, like I said, but a good mix. The type of music that Marillion plays is a very big sound where all instruments bleed into each other. I have a ton of surround discs and I have some that are so discrete they are irritating, like a blues music for instance where four instruments are parked in 4 different speakers, yes discrete, but no imagination. I am not saying I am better or worse than any other forum participant but if you notice I only pop up in comment when I actually have the disc, and I trust myself to enjoy or not enjoy a certain disc. I know it's about money but I have taken risks on certain music never to listen again and this new surround Marillion disc is fresh and I want to listen to it again. At approx 65 to 70db the surround on this disc will go wall to wall and I believe most people will be happy.

After reading your comments I re-ordered and I agree with your comments. Listening for the first time now at low level (sacd to be clear). It's certainly not a great mix but somehow I like it too, the low end is very good.

After reading your comments I re-ordered and I agree with your comments. Listening for the first time now at low level (sacd to be clear). It's certainly not a great mix but somehow I like it too, the low end is very good.

I don't find the sacd unlistenable. The sound quality of it is actually pretty good. Its just that its virtually all coming out of the centre speaker, making the stereo layer of the sacd a much better and more spread listen, in my opinion.

I don't find the sacd unlistenable. The sound quality of it is actually pretty good. Its just that its virtually all coming out of the centre speaker, making the stereo layer of the sacd a much better and more spread listen, in my opinion.

On my rig that's not the case, it isn't even louder than other sacd's. Oh well different gear different set-up maybe, dunno I like it and am glad I bought it. I noticed the price is going up though, where I ordered the first time charges €35 already (was €19 something :yikes).

Had a chance to listen to the 5.0 version today. I really like the music and sound. Yeah, the mix seems pretty tame. It's front-heavy, and not a lot goes on in the rears.

For 19 CAD, it's still an easy decision for me to buy this SACD.

FYI

SACD 5.1 mix (DR11)

Marillion_SACD.jpg

DVD 5.1 mix (DR10)

Marillion_DVD.jpg

Am I reading the graphs correctly? It looks like the SACD has more rear activity and more sub activity and the center channel is louder than the front channels with probably the same elements of those 2 channels summed. It looks like the DVD has only vocals in the center I would surmise. For the SACD it might be better if you turn off your center channel to listen to this disc. It might make things spread out a bit providing the left and right has different elements mixed to them and are not identical. The front three channels of the SACD almost looks "mono"

In case others are interested in this release, I own the SACD version, it is a must purchase in rock surround music. Lots to read here and moderators should create a surround poll.

Back