SACD to ISO with Oppo & Pioneer BD players!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I load the iso in Foobar, click convert, choose Flac and it asks me for a destination file, like always. Now, normally, it starts the convert. Only, now, it pops open another window and asks "Please locate flac.exe" Huh? I have no clue why it would do this now, nor do I know what I'm supposed to do.
That's a foobar2000 issue. It needs the executable "flac.exe" to convert files of other types to FLAC. My suggestion is to install the latest version of foobar2000 and see if that fixes the problem. If not, try uninstalling and then reinstalling.

That's a foobar2000 issue. It needs the executable "flac.exe" to convert files of other types to FLAC. My suggestion is to install the latest version of foobar2000 and see if that fixes the problem. If not, try uninstalling and then reinstalling.

OK, thanks for those suggestions. I will do that right now. (y)

I'm replying again, only to educate any others who may have run into this issue like I did. So, downloading and or reinstalling Foobar2000 didn't fix the problem. Just by trial and error, I fixed the problem, though I really don't understand what got me to the original problem...

In Foobar, when you select "convert", then choose "Flac" - you can right click on the Flac choice, which opens another window that shows "Commandline Encoder Settings - Editing Preset". At bottom of that window it says "Flac encoder 1.2.0 or newer is required", along with a button to visit Flac WEbsite. Well, I did have 1.2.0 or newer, always have. Anyhow, I went to website, downloaded most recent version.

Fire up Foobar again, load my iso file, convert....again, asks me for flac.exe destination (which it never used to do), now, I go to the newly downloaded Flac .exe file I had....and it started conversion.

Close Foobar, restart it. Take another iso file, convert and now it works without me pointing it to the flac.exe

I don't understand what happened in the first place, and now that it works again...I don't really care. :)

Well I've been following this thread for a while, and in a bout of surround sanity :mad:@: (or madness depending on your point of view!) I decided to order on-line an ex-demo Oppo 103 from a Hi-Fi shop so I can rip my SACDs to file, and also play all the HDCDs I have. So it'll sit in the rack next to the Oppo 203! :banana:

Well I've been following this thread for a while, and in a bout of surround sanity :mad:@: (or madness depending on your point of view!) I decided to order on-line an ex-demo Oppo 103 from a Hi-Fi shop so I can rip my SACDs to file, and also play all the HDCDs I have. So it'll sit in the rack next to the Oppo 203! :banana:

The Oppo 103/105 approach is the way to go for pulling DSD off SACDs in my experience.
Recommended.

My 2nd hand Oppo 103 arrived today (ex-demo, one scratch, only £249) so hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to set it all up to do SACD rips.

Bmoura was gracious enough to help me make a leap that I have been leaning on for quite awhile. I am now going to put my efforts into using and getting use to the JRiver software with remote. I am going to start purchasing more DSD downloads. I have purchased a Oppo 105 today and going to start ripping my stereo SACD collection. I will wait for Blu Ray/DVD-A, etc and MCH for later, need baby steps now.
I am looking at the EXASOUND 38 for mch listening but prefer to use what I have now. This way I don't have to redo interconnects, etc.
I currently have between RBCD rips and FlAC downloads 750.65 GB listed on my Bluesound Vault. I am sure the SACD rips and DSD downloads will greatly increase space.
I have a couple questions:
1. Best software I can purchase to receive the SACD rips from the OPPO 105 that the JRiver will pick up as a music file.
2. Best laptop I can purchase (in the box) as a designated listening device that will go USB out to my McIntosh D150 stereo FLAC/DSD only DAC (no multi capabilities). Links would be helpful, Amazon or whatever.
3. Hard drive capacity ? See above.

I have a couple questions:
1. Best software I can purchase to receive the SACD rips from the OPPO 105 that the JRiver will pick up as a music file.
Depends on how you are ripping. If you are ripping to ISOs, you need ISO2DSD and sacd_extract to convert the ISOs to DSF files. If you are ripping to DSFs already, all you need is to put them in a directory of your choice on the HDD.

2. Best laptop I can purchase (in the box) as a designated listening device that will go USB out to my McIntosh D150 stereo FLAC/DSD only DAC (no multi capabilities). Links would be helpful, Amazon or whatever.
Almost any will do if it is reasonably fast and has at least 16GB of RAM. The other big criterion is that it be quiet. I cannot make any specific recommendations as I do not have enough experience with laptops.[/QUOTE]
3. Hard drive capacity ? See above.
:) I have no idea. How much are you planning? I have about 22TB of files now and will need expansion of my NAS drive soon but you need not do that far all at once.

Depends on how you are ripping. If you are ripping to ISOs, you need ISO2DSD and sacd_extract to convert the ISOs to DSF files. If you are ripping to DSFs already, all you need is to put them in a directory of your choice on the HDD.

Almost any will do if it is reasonably fast and has at least 16GB of RAM. The other big criterion is that it be quiet. I cannot make any specific recommendations as I do not have enough experience with laptops.
:) I have no idea. How much are you planning? I have about 22TB of files now and will need expansion of my NAS drive soon but you need not do that far all at once.[/QUOTE]
Thanks Kal, wow 22TB, I don't even have 1, OK, so I think I"ll go with PC laptop 2 TB hard drive and at least 16GB RAM and quiet. That's easy.

Unfortunately I don't know what your ripping question is. I was assuming I would take a stereo SACD put in the OPPO105, play to the software in the computer have a stored file which would be a DSF file. Am I getting it ? Sounds like I would be doing your first option? And then JRiver would pick up the file to play ?

:) I have no idea. How much are you planning? I have about 22TB of files now and will need expansion of my NAS drive soon but you need not do that far all at once.

Thanks Kal, wow 22TB, I don't even have 1, OK, so I think I"ll go with PC laptop 2 TB hard drive and at least 16GB RAM and quiet. That's easy.[/QUOTE]Get 2, so that you have a back-up. You need to secure your efforts and collection.

Unfortunately I don't know what your ripping question is. I was assuming I would take a stereo SACD put in the OPPO105, play to the software in the computer have a stored file which would be a DSF file. Am I getting it ? Sounds like I would be doing your first option?
No, you don't play to the software. The software takes control of the Oppo and grabs the file. I prefer to rip to ISO from the Oppo and then do the ISO2DSF in the computer.

And then JRiver would pick up the file to play ?
All you need to do is tell JRiver where the files are.

Thanks Kal, wow 22TB, I don't even have 1, OK, so I think I"ll go with PC laptop 2 TB hard drive and at least 16GB RAM and quiet. That's easy.
Get 2, so that you have a back-up. You need to secure your efforts and collection.

No, you don't play to the software. The software takes control of the Oppo and grabs the file. I prefer to rip to ISO from the Oppo and then do the ISO2DSF in the computer.

All you need to do is tell JRiver where the files are.[/QUOTE]

OK, Kal, getting there.

When you say get two, do you mean two PC's ? One for back up ? Or do you mean external hard drives ?

Last question: and thank you for helping.

"I prefer to rip to ISO from the Oppo and then do the ISO2DSF in the computer." This I don't understand, is there a software I can install in the new computer to do this ? The name of software I can purchase?

Hard drives.

Two drives but big as you can. Not only do you want an extra for backup but you will also want to keep your ISO files (stereo and MCH) plus you will have DSF/DSD and maybe FLAC to use for playback. High res files are big!

Personally, being a surround fan, I only ever ripped the MCH to ISO. Converted those to FLAC then use my AVR's DAC for playback.

Back