SACD to ISO with Oppo & Pioneer BD players!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kal Rubinson

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
[Moved from opening Media Player thread - Import Info should have its own thread!]

I now have my entire music collection on NAS with the exception of SACD's and Bluray disks. The BR issue can be remedied by purchasing a BR player that I can connect to my PC, at which point I would be able to copy BR disks as well. The SACD issue is still an issue, and will probably remain so for the foreseeable future.
There will shortly appear a method for ripping SACDs with players using a particular MediaTek chip, among them the Oppo 103/105.

Great news to those without older PS3!

I have two PS3's with SACD-rippers on them, so this does not benefit me. I also have an OPPO 93 which is my universal player for all my blu-ray and dvd-audio ISO's.

The unicorn that I'm still waiting for is a player capable of playing sacd ISO's. That would be the ultimate machine!

This is incredible news! I'm one of the lucky folks with a PS3 for ripping, but adding new hardware possibilities that are less than ten years old to the mix is a good thing for everyone, plus potentially adding the capability for tons of people who already own Oppo 103/105 hardware. I'm contemplating buying a Pioneer BDP-180 to try out for this.

The unicorn that I'm still waiting for is a player capable of playing sacd ISO's. That would be the ultimate machine!
What? Once you have ripped the discs, such a player is irrelevant. Just play the files.

What? Once you have ripped the discs, such a player is irrelevant. Just play the files.

The convenience of having all of my sacd's as ISO's and playable would be much preferred over having all songs ripped individually. The ripped files are also very bloated and take up tons of hdd space.

I'm not aware of any media player that plays the SACD ISO files directly. But...

As I've mentioned in the Converting MCH discs 101: Overview thread its very easy to convert an SACD ISO file to MCH FLAC with Foobar2000.

Actually Foobar is a very good tool for this as it automatically recognises the SACD release info and its tracks from the ISO. When it exports to FLAC it breaks the album down into individual tracks and tags the individual FLAC files with Artist & Album names and Track Title and sequence. So its (almost*) ready to use in any program that need its music tagged with that metadata.

In addition, you can also set up rules on how and where to save the FLAC files to. It will create the album automatically in the folder format without any input from a user:
\Artist\Album Name\01. 1st song title.flac
\Artist\Album Name\02. 2nd song title.flac

So at the end of conversion to FLAC you have an auto created folder for the artist and the album and that's filled with all the album's MCH FLAC files named and tagged (how easy is that?)

* It needs the 'AlbumArtist' and Album Cover Art added - but that's very easy(once you've done it once)

EDIT: Foobar must have its SACD decoding plug-in installed and configured to use the MCH layer to convert to FLAC

The convenience of having all of my sacd's as ISO's and playable would be much preferred over having all songs ripped individually. The ripped files are also very bloated and take up tons of hdd space.

Ok but...

If they are in individual files you can instantly select any song at time from any album to play, create a playlist, modify the current playlist queue at any time (e.g insert another song to play next etc).

EDIT: I can play MCH music using a media player with Kodi without a TV - just turn it on, open my iPad or Iphone app select a song (or a playlist) and it plays in 5.1 or Quad!!

I only have my MCH tracks from discs on my server. I don't bother with stereo versions. That means I've used less space than the full ISO file.

Edit: A FLAC is a lossless compressed version of a WAV. Much smaller (compressed as in 'zipped' not 'dynamic compression' which effects the sound)

I'm not aware of any media player that plays the SACD ISO files directly. But...

As I've mentioned in the Converting MCH discs 101: Overview thread its very easy to convert an SACD ISO file to MCH FLAC with Foobar2000.

Actually Foobar is a very good tool for this as it automatically recognises the SACD release info and its tracks from the ISO. When it exports to FLAC it breaks the album down into individual tracks and tags the individual FLAC files with Artist & Album names and Track Title and sequence. So its (almost*) ready to use in any program that need its music tagged with that metadata.

In additition, you can also set up rules on how and where to save the FLAC files to. It will create the album automatically in the folder format without any input from a user:
\Artist\Album Name\01. 1st song title.flac
\Artist\Album Name\02. 2nd song title.flac

So at the end of conversion to FLAC you have a auto created a folder for the artist and the album and that's filled with all the song's MCH FLAC files named and tagged (how easy is that?)

* It needs the 'AlbumArtist' and Album Cover Art added - but that's very easy(once you've done it once)

I have an ISO file that will play in Foobar "as is", but when I hi-lite all the songs and then click convert (to Flac) I get error messages. So I guess I've not had any luck yet.

EDIT - Geez. OK, I just got it to work. I was only trying to convert 1 song just to see if it would work...it would crash. When I hi-lited them all, then it worked. I'm a rookie... :)

IMHO, the convenience is entirely on the side of file playback. I just click on the album or file and do not have to find them on the shelves and put them into a physical player. Storage space is cheap.

Foobar and JRiver will play ISOs directly.

I'm not aware of any media player that runs Foobar either, although a NUC with Windows could do it if you wanted to add the cost of a Windows license and find a remote or smart phone app to allow headless playback (i.e. without the need for an attached screen to select music and play files etc - I think that's a mandatory media player feature but I guess others may not think so).

I'm not aware of any media player that runs Foobar either, although a NUC with Windows could do it if you wanted to add the cost of a Windows license and find a remote or smart phone app to allow headless playback (i.e. without the need for an attached screen to select music and play files etc - I think that's a mandatory media player feature but I guess others may not think so).

but isn't the screen of the phone or the tablet virtually the same thing as an "attached" screen. I mean you still have to "look" at a screen, it's just that the screen is not a tv but is still as screen none the less. Just because the screen is now in your hands as opposed to the wall or your desk is not that great of an improvement IMO.

Wouldn't the true definition of "headless" be something more like an amazon echo which responds to speech commands, not visual input?

it's not that they are bloated and take up space, the opposite is actually true, they are compressed and smaller.

My gripe is that there are too many files. I much prefer all the content in ONE file as opposed to spread out over multiple files.

When you're dealing with 100's of discs, when they are split up into individual files it like 10-20 times the amount of files.

Yes, media players can organize these files better than non-tagged files but without the media player your hard drive looks like a garbage dump of millions of files.

but isn't the screen of the phone or the tablet the same thing as an "attached" screen. I mean you still have to "look" at at screen, it's just that the screen is not a tv but is still as screen none the less .

Wouldn't the true definition of "headless" be something more like an amazon echo which responds to speech commands, not visual input?

Not the same. The obvious difference is no wires. I am on my tablet now, and controling my entire music/media collection on this thing, is a great improvement over my tethered monitor. The upnp implementation I have used has been a bit clunky up to this point for me however.

it's not that they are bloated and take up space, the opposite is actually true, they are compressed and smaller.

My gripe is that there are too many files. I much prefer all the content in ONE file as opposed to spread out over multiple files.

When you're dealing with 100's of discs, when they are split up into individual files it like 10-20 times the amount of files.

Yes, media players can organize these files better than non-tagged files but without the media player your hard drive looks like a garbage dump of millions of files.

You are not organized enough to get the benifit or your not using the correct software. You can sort by album, album artist, year, genres. Much better than just scrolling your image files. An organized hard drive of song files is not a garbage dump.

The only two thing that are not clear to me on sacd rip new method are:
1) where goes the sacd ripping file? On the usb thumb drive, oron the pc thru lan/wifi?
2) filename of the file ripped? it is all the sameregardless of the disc inserted? If name is different it could be useful for ripping several sacd in a single session, otherwise any new file will overwrite the previous one.

The only two thing that are not clear to me on sacd rip new method are:
1) where goes the sacd ripping file? On the usb thumb drive, oron the pc thru lan/wifi?
2) filename of the file ripped? it is all the sameregardless of the disc inserted? If name is different it could be useful for ripping several sacd in a single session, otherwise any new file will overwrite the previous one.

1.) through lan.

2.) my guess is the name on the SACD but don't know for sure...

I do agreee that small file number is an advantage, i'm using myself the flac+cue way and always had a hard time to make ther media players outside foobar to works correctly, however if you just use any decent ripperyou ends up with a very well-organized folder structure, the opposite of a garbage dump.
If you already have ripped a lot of things with .cue files, use CueTools just to re-process all the files, you will see how it does organize things in a clear way.

Back