SACD to ISO with Oppo & Pioneer BD players!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.) through lan.

2.) my guess is the name on the SACD but don't know for sure...

Thanks!!!!! Going LAN makes it easier to handle the sacd-ripped filename, when the dump is over, even if it is a generic name you can just rename correctly the file and start again.

You are not organized enough to get the benifit or your not using the correct software. You can sort by album, album artist, year, genres. Much better than just scrolling your image files. An organized hard drive of song files is not a garbage dump.

This where we differ. I'm old school. Albums like Tommy or The Wall were written and produced to be listened to in their entirety, not one song here, then another song there, (that's the young mp3 generation way of listening).

I would never listen to an album like Miles Davis Bitches Brew with a scattered playlist of other artists. The album was produced to tell a story. How are you gonna get the feel and soul of the story listening to one song here and another artist there?

You'll think I'm retarded or something but I even go a step further, I listen to one album, over and over, in my car for about a week and then don't listen to that album (or any of it's songs) for years to come.

There was a time when I listened to just one album in my car for about 6 months straight (maybe even a year). I've got the OCD bad. lol

and BTW in windows explorer you can easily add columns to iso's like artist, album, etc and then sort by those columns.

I do agreee that small file number is an advantage, i'm using myself the flac+cue way and always had a hard time to make ther media players outside foobar to works correctly, however if you just use any decent ripperyou ends up with a very well-organized folder structure, the opposite of a garbage dump.
If you already have ripped a lot of things with .cue files, use CueTools just to re-process all the files, you will see how it does organize things in a clear way.

Foobar will do that too and organize it exactly how you want it. Bottom line is, individual tagged song tracks are universal and future proof. I really don't see the disadvantages. Once your set up, the player recognizes the tags. The files on the hard drive are irrelevant.

This where we differ. I'm old school. Albums like Tommy or The Wall were written and produced to be listened to in their entirety, not one song here, then another song there, (that's the young mp3 generation way of listening).

I would never listen to an album like Miles Davis Bitches Brew with a scattered playlist of other artists. The album was produced to tell a story. How are you gonna get the feel and soul of the story listening to one song here and another artist there?

You'll think I'm retarded or something but I even go a step further, I listen to one album, over and over, in my car for about a week and then don't listen to that album (or any of it's songs) for years to come.

There was a time when I listened to just one album in my car for about 6 months straight. I've got the OCD bad. lol

and BTW in windows explorer you can easily add columns to iso's like artist, album, etc and then sort by those columns.

All my players play back gapless which the Oppo doesn't do with individual files. I only listen to full albums too. I even sold the majority of my greatest hits cd's:)

Windows explorer, come on man. Your nearly twenty years behind. Good luck.

All my players play back gapless which the Oppo doesn't do with individual files. I only listen to full albums too. I even sold the majority of my greatest hits cd's:)

enough of the oppo, with all do respect. I use it for about 10% of my listening, viewing (mostly sacd for obvious reasons)

Foobar for music and PowerDVD for Blu-rays.

A lot of music, albums are being released in blu-ray now and powerdvd is a very powerful player. I know it has the old school connotation of being a 1990's DVD player but it bitstreams DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD and is the only player I have that bitstreams .dts files (whereas foobar doesn't).

enough of the oppo, with all do respect. I use it for about 10% of my listening, viewing (mostly sacd for obvious reasons)

Foobar for music and PowerDVD for Blu-rays.

A lot of music, albums are being released in blu-ray now and powerdvd is a very powerful player. I know it has the old school connotation of being a 1990's DVD player but it bitstreams DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD and is the only player I have that bitstreams .dts files (whereas foobar doesn't).

I have a lot of dts music stuff and it all plays back perfectly in foobar but I use Musicbee mostly. My dts files are wrapped in a flac file and properly tagged. Looks just like any other file on my pc and plays back perfectly, bit perfectly actually:) I use Kodi for bluray and mkv's. Sorry but your about fifteen years behind on your HTPC. Kodi bitstreams too. Please post on that other thread because this is off the SACD iso topic. Thanks.

I have a lot of dts music stuff and it all plays back perfectly in foobar but I use Musicbee mostly. My dts files are wrapped in a flac file and properly tagged.

wait, what? are your .dts files stored as .dts files on your HDD and foobar bitstream's to your receiver and your receiver displays "dts" or are your files converted to and stored as "flac"on your HDD and foobar plays them as PCM and foobar outputs to your receiver as PCM because there's a world of difference between those two scenarios.

Not the same. The obvious difference is no wires. I am on my tablet now, and controling my entire music/media collection on this thing, is a great improvement over my tethered monitor.

Huh? an OPPO remote is RF or IR (no wires). What's the difference between sitting on a couch and controlling a TV/OPPO wirelessly (using RF/IR) vs sitting on a couch and controlling a media player wirelessly (using wi-fi)?

one just uses wi-fi whereas the other uses RF/IR. Same difference

yes, wi-fi has better range. big deal. :)

wait, what? are your .dts files stored as .dts files on your HDD and foobar bitstream's to your receiver and your receiver displays "dts" or are your files converted to and stored as "flac"on your HDD and foobar plays them as PCM and foobar outputs to your receiver as PCM because there's a world of difference between those two scenarios.

Both are possible, it all depends of how you want to set it up, done dts-cd bitstream to outside dts decoder with Foobar by almost 10 year, or you can decode dts from foobar and output 5.1 to the soundcard.
A flac wrapper, as he says, it is just a wave file as normal wave without any audio compression but allows to tagging, something that wave alone can't do.

Both are possible, it all depends of how you want to set it up, done dts-cd bitstream to outside dts decoder with Foobar by almost 10 year, or you can decode dts from foobar and output 5.1 to the soundcard.
A flac wrapper, as he says, it is just a wave file as normal wave without any audio compression but allows to tagging, something that wave alone can't do.

just saying my point was that foobar's dts decoder is different than the receivers dts decoder.

one is hardware vs one is software

in theory they are the same but in practice they are not.

just saying my point was that foobar's dts decoder is different than the receivers dts decoder.

Which one do you prefer?
In both cases, Foobar can handle them correctly, it's just a matter of set it up for what you really want.

I'm not aware of any media player that runs Foobar either, although a NUC with Windows could do it if you wanted to add the cost of a Windows license and find a remote or smart phone app to allow headless playback (i.e. without the need for an attached screen to select music and play files etc - I think that's a mandatory media player feature but I guess others may not think so).

:) I was using the term "media player" generically and you are using it to describe a commercial hardware/software package. My "media player" is a Win7-based desktop computer running JRiver.

1.) through lan.

2.) my guess is the name on the SACD but don't know for sure...

sacd_extract will give a suitable and recognizable name to the ISO file from the metadata on the disc.

HOWEVER............................................................
Multidisc sets are notoriously lacking in proper info and, in the great majority of cases, each and every disc is labelled 1/1. As a result, ripping disc2 will overwrite disc1 as it has the same name. The solution, for me, is renaming the ISO for disc1 to indicate it is 1of2 (or more) BEFORE ripping disc2, disc3, etc. Not a big deal unless you forget.

You seem to just be argumentative. Foobar will bitstream to processor and/or it can send the already decoded dts to multichannel analogs.

Hi all,

Just ripped my first SACD - Headhunters by Herbie Hancock with my Oppo 103. Worked like a dream.
I then extracted the Multichannel layer with Sonore iso2dsd, so as to have it play on the Oppo 103. The ISO plays well on Foobar2000 as well!!
Thank Kal for the heads-up, and thank you to all who toiled to get this hack up and running.

You need to read up on this. You have a lot to learn.

DTS files can be stored as .dts and bitstreamed to processor and of course the processor will display DTS.

Or, like I said, you can store .dts files in a FLAC CONTAINER, this way you can tag the individual files so all your media players will be nice and organized. You processor reads it just like a .dts file, and displays DTS, because it is still a .dts file, only it is stored in a container. Got it?

You seem to just be argumentative. Foobar will bitstream to processor and/or it can send the already decoded dts to multichannel analogs.

maybe it's just me, I can't get foobar to bitstream .dts files

they seem to be decoded to PCM in foobar and outputted as PCM to my receiver.

PowerDVD, on the other hand, will bitstream my .dts files to my receiver as dts (my receiver lights up DTS)

I have the dts plug-in for foobar, what else do I need or what am I doing wrong?

BTW, I'm always argumentative, don't take it personally. :) lol

The convenience of having all of my sacd's as ISO's and playable would be much preferred over having all songs ripped individually. The ripped files are also very bloated and take up tons of hdd space.
you always can rip album as a single flac file which accompanied by .cue or even .cue sheet embedded into flac itself.
that's will lesser amount of files on HDD and unlike DSD, flac less resources hungry during playback decoding.

Back