SACD to ISO with Oppo & Pioneer BD players!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was traveling on Thursday & Friday, so I didn't have an opportunity to respond to this thread. Forgive me if it's too late or if it's already been said, but I seem to remember reading here (and other places) that a later Oppo 103 firmware update prevented the ripping of SACDs. If so, I'd investigate which one before jumping to the latest if you ever have any intention of ripping SACDs.
I do not recall that but do recall the opposite. Let us know if you can find the link.

I do not recall that but do recall the opposite. Let us know if you can find the link.

Kal - Thanks for making me search for this, because it's not exactly what I thought it was. It's "mods", not firmware, and it might only apply to Pioneer players. See the last line of post #62 in this thread:

Can we get list here of SACD players that use the compatible MediaTek chips?

So far on the CA thread I see (prices added):
Mediatek chips MT8580
Oppo BDP-103 $500
Oppo BDP-103D
Oppo BDP-105 $1300
Cambridge Audio 752bd $1000
Cambridge Audio 752cxu $1300
Pioneer bdp-lx58 $800
Pioneer bdp-lx88 $2000

MT8560
Pioneer BDP-160 $300 (~$200 used)
Pioneer BDP-170 (appears to be a UK model?)
Pioneer BDP-180 (appears to be Asian model?)

people seem to be having problems getting the Pioneers BDP 180 to work though.

also must have
2) an ethernet connection
3) normal factory firmwares (meaning no mods)

Hi All,

I am considering buying a Pioneer player given that I already have x4 blu-ray players (if I count PS3's and PS4's) and I don't want to spend too much on another player when it's core purpose would be ripping SACD's.

Reading this thread it is not clear to me whether or not members are using the Pioneer variants and having seamless success.

Is the Pioneer path user friendly for the average punter (AKA me 'the noob'.... well perhaps 'below average punter')?

Thanks

Woody

Hi All,

I am considering buying a Pioneer player given that I already have x4 blu-ray players (if I count PS3's and PS4's) and I don't want to spend too much on another player when it's core purpose would be ripping SACD's.

Reading this thread it is not clear to me whether or not members are using the Pioneer variants and having seamless success.

Is the Pioneer path user friendly for the average punter (AKA me 'the noob'.... well perhaps 'below average punter')?

Thanks

Woody

BDP-80FD!

Kal - Thanks for making me search for this, because it's not exactly what I thought it was. It's "mods", not firmware, and it might only apply to Pioneer players. See the last line of post #62 in this thread:

Pioneer BDP 160, 170 and 180 are all European models; 160 and 170 can rip, 180 has a different chipset and cannot rip.
No mods or special firmware are needed.

Anyone that has Oppo 103 - and you are using it to rip SACD....can I do any current firmware upgrades? Or will it mess with my SACD - rip abilities? If the answer is no, then if I do upgrade, will it "overwrite" the work I originally did to get the machine to do SACD rip in the first place?

:)

Anyone that has Oppo 103 - and you are using it to rip SACD....can I do any current firmware upgrades? Or will it mess with my SACD - rip abilities? If the answer is no, then if I do upgrade, will it "overwrite" the work I originally did to get the machine to do SACD rip in the first place?

:)
I have mine updated to the latest firmware and it still rips SACD's. Same procedure should apply. The only thing I ever had to change was the network address for the player in the batch file as it changed periodically.

I have mine updated to the latest firmware and it still rips SACD's. Same procedure should apply. The only thing I ever had to change was the network address for the player in the batch file as it changed periodically.

OK, thanks. So, to clarify what I just did. I had my Oppo 103 setup several months ago (when it was first brought to QQ attention we could do such) to rip SACD. Today, just now, I went ahead and did a firmware upgrade and without doing anything else, tried to rip a SACD and it worked just like before.

So, this means, if you set yours up to rip earlier and are afraid of current firmware disabling this fine ability. Worry not. It still works. :)

I didn't have to re-install all the goodies to allow for ripping. They remained intact from earlier. :):):)

I can also confirm that the latest Oppo firmware poses no issues with the rip.

I have to say, I love having the ability to do this. I use Iso2DSD and leave the files as *.dsf.

I bought a NuPrime uDSD for my computer (an AMAZING little DAC for $179) and I bought another microSD card for my Pono to load up with the *.dsf files. The only downside is that the *.dsf files are really big (about twice the size of a 24/96 FLAC). That limits how many I can comfortably squeeze on one card for the Pono. But I can live with it.

Another neat trick -- if you pull the multi-channel files from the ISO, you can slap those on a USB key/drive and play them back on the Oppo.

Another neat trick -- if you pull the multi-channel files from the ISO, you can slap those on a USB key/drive and play them back on the Oppo.

I use ISO2DSD as well in dsf mode and I stick them all on hard drives attached to the Oppo. Having 16 TB's at my fingertips is awesome.

So, this means, if you set yours up to rip earlier and are afraid of current firmware disabling this fine ability. Worry not. It still works. :)

I didn't have to re-install all the goodies to allow for ripping. They remained intact from earlier. :):):)
AFAIK, nothing is installed in the Oppo. It is all in the USB drive.

Same here. Then I use Tag and Rename to add/edit metadata and album art. Works fine.
Then on to the hard disk storage and JRiver Media Center + JRemote for playback in DSD Stereo and DSD Multichannel. :)
I find the tagging using the album art is hit and miss with dsf tagging using mp3tag. Is there something that works all the time?

I find the tagging using the album art is hit and miss with dsf tagging using mp3tag. Is there something that works all the time?

I have MP3Tag but I use Tag and Rename for tagging DSF and FLAC files most of the time.
It has some nice batch features that let you speed through the process.

Definitely worth checking out.

Raizes - Tag and Rename.jpg

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

So, just yesterday, I've run into a snag with ISO2DSD program. Well, I guess a snag with the whole process. I don't know if the problem is ISO2DSD or Foobar.

Long story short. IN the last year, I've ripped a couple hundred SACD with the Oppo/ISO2DSD. Works flawlessly. I go the Flac route, don't do wav or other.
Now, I rip the SACD via ISO2DSD and the iso file shows up just like always.

I load the iso in Foobar, click convert, choose Flac and it asks me for a destination file, like always. Now, normally, it starts the convert. Only, now, it pops open another window and asks "Please locate flac.exe" Huh? I have no clue why it would do this now, nor do I know what I'm supposed to do.

I have not changed any settings, not made any updates, blah blah. I have shut down, rebooted, same. I even took old iso files that worked before and tried to "re-convert" them and I get the same outcome.

What in the heck has happened??
Anyone have some ideas? This is frustrating...

Back