ROCK/PROG IN UHJ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Steve Hackett --Til We Have Faces

20160722_194841.jpg20160722_194849.jpg20160722_194858.jpg20160722_195122.jpg20160722_194928.jpg

Hope to see this in DVD-DTS, or BLU-RAY one day soon.;)

Great find, I hope you do a review of its sound/mix characteristics, as well as, music quality.

@Desmo888

It is a nice sounding album from Steve Hackett , but I no longer have the "ambisonic"decoder I used to have, so a proper surround review I can not provide.

This album (a cut out) was a good mix and very good album from Steve Hackett.

Additionaly i have a couple of cut out cassettes of this also on the Chrysalis label.

What kind of demogitator does one need to dematrixify it, please fizzywiggywoowoo?

Edit: Ambisonic you say, FW.. Never heard of it, better look into it! Were there many albums done in it?

What kind of demogitator does one need to dematrixify it, please fizzywiggywoowoo?

Edit: Ambisonic you say, FW.. Never heard of it, better look into it! Were there many albums done in it?

For the most part decoders were built by :

Integrex
Minim
and Meridian had it in their Recievers

It started off as "45j" was then married to Aunty Beeb and became HJ a quad matrix, the Beeb invented "H"quad..

There was even a unit for automobiles.

Discs were made by a number of manufacturers such as Nimbus, Unicorn Kanchana, Collins Classics and a few other clasical labels mostly from the UK .

A few rock etc discs were from Alan Parsons, Cowboy Junkies, Steve Hackett, Michael Stearns, Holy Cole, Tina Turner and some others that escape my memory for now.

Prior posts on this thread should provide more info, artists, and hardware.

Also there are some on the Matrix H thread , including ambisonic equipment.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?19991-Matrix-H-Articles

This system (Uhj) still survives today with the odd release still being made.Such as Natalie Merchants remake with orchestra of her hit album "Tigerlily"

fixxyfizzem

I have some circuit diagrams from Wireless World (1977) which show the use of modified QS decoder chips, so it might well be possible to do some phase shifting prior to going into a QS decoder (i.e. a Surround Master) so that it looks like QS to it. However I suspect that decoding using 'Involve' decode would possibly be quite good - might be wrong.

I have some circuit diagrams from Wireless World (1977) which show the use of modified QS decoder chips, so it might well be possible to do some phase shifting prior to going into a QS decoder (i.e. a Surround Master) so that it looks like QS to it. However I suspect that decoding using 'Involve' decode would possibly be quite good - might be wrong.

I had a scratch built adapter that connected between my QSD-2 Sansui QS and the inputs to decode ,, so you are on the right track for certain, Duncan.

I could switch to MATRIX H,HJ, UHJ, or bypass. And I believe it was based on an adaptor from Wireless World or similar info.This became necessary of course when the BBC adapted H to HJ and also some later UHJ transmissions.

I've some maths software (Mathcad) so I should (depends if the brain will fire up, so probably a might) be able to calculate what phase shifts would be required if I can find all the right equations for QS & H/HJ etc. - maybe something for after being made redundant in the New Year!

I had a scratch built adapter that connected between my QSD-2 Sansui QS and the inputs to decode ,, so you are on the right track for certain, Duncan.

I could switch to MATRIX H,HJ, UHJ, or bypass. And I believe it was based on an adaptor from Wireless World or similar info.This became necessary of course when the BBC adapted H to HJ and also some later UHJ transmissions.

For the most part decoders were built by :
Integrex
Minim
and Meridian had it in their Recievers

Thanks for mentioning those, brings back memories. Many meridian decoders include UHJ and are the most modern circuit wise. The Mitsubishi DA-P7000 and Onkyo SV-909 both top of the line receivers in 1990 & 91 are the only other digital software receivers that I recall that are newer than the ones listed above.
Meridians are a great value on ebay compared to what they cost new and when setup properly I really enjoy the UHJ experience for what it is, a matrix decode due to delivery formats at the time.

Running UHJ encioded titles via the Surround Master (Involve Mode) seems to work quite well. It may not be a true decode, buy it sounds pretty good.

Running UHJ encioded titles via the Surround Master (Involve Mode) seems to work quite well. It may not be a true decode, buy it sounds pretty good.

What doesn't work well thru that little Aussie box of tricks? :upthumb

I'll tell you what it can't do.. toast! :p

It also can't mix a Vodka and Tonic :beer2

Apart from that.. Perfect! :D

QS and their relatives (RM, QM, QX, BMX, etc) and DY-4D, EV-4 should work with various degrees of the original soundfield in quad anyway.

Even Dolby pro........but not SQ sorry.

Gotta get me someday one of them, their Surround Master dowackies.Oh someday maybe.;)

What doesn't work well thru that little Aussie box of tricks? :upthumb

I'll tell you what it can't do.. toast! :p

It also can't mix a Vodka and Tonic :beer2

Apart from that.. Perfect! :D

It can do toast...

The little puppy runs hot - so just pop your slice on top of the unit, and you'll have your toast done on one side...very English!!!

Tim Souster in uhj.

Not so much rock as it is prog, prog electronic.
And that's a picture that can no longer be taken . Under the bridge for a classic pic of the N.Y. skyline.

20161220_192227.jpg

Back