Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I was extremely p*ssed off having no heating, but my Floyd box set had turned up so that lightened my mood, but I felt too cold to enjoy listening to any music. Well the heating is still f***ed, but it is a bit warmer today. So I looked on QQ and saw that some 5.1 maybe hidden on the discs.

So I downloaded MakeMKV, ran it on the REVERBER/ATION disc, then downloaded multiAVCDH 4.1 (you need 3 additional plugins - Avisynth, fddshow, haali or it won't work), ran it to author a BD with a Top menu, chapters set-up etc., used imgBurn to burn to a BD-R. Stuck the resulting BD in my Denon, and I've got MEDDLE IN 5.1 DTS blasting out of my system. :51banana: So who gives a sh*t about f***ing heating now!!

Oh what joy :cool: :wave :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :woopie

Thank you :worthy Mr Jackson for a great mix, so clear now, this is how it should be heard.

Thanks very much for this note.
I was struggling with this one and failed but using this method worked very well!
I haven´t put much energy in making blurays before. I have instead been satisfied if i just could play the files from an harddrive.
It will work good that way with this one also but as this is sort of an "nonexisting jewel" i just had to try
Once again thanks very much!

Last edited:
What happened to the Live at Pompeii with quadraphonic sound release? Why can't I find it anywhere?

For whatever it is worth, price on Amazon UK is now less than $300 (267.14 pounds minus VAT) shipped to US. I just ordered it - $292.32 shipped.

What is (Echoes original 4.0 Quad mix) ? Is it a greatest hits ? This comes in the 1971 Reverber/ation Box set.

No, its the song Echoes from the album Meddle, which was the only song from that album originally mixed into Quad back in the day.

No, its the song Echoes from the album Meddle, which was the only song from that album originally mixed into Quad back in the day.[/QUOTE]

Is all of Disc 3 4.0 Quad or just the one song ?

Disc: 3
1. Interview + Atom Heart Mother
2. A Saucerful of Secrets
3. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
4. Cymbaline
5. Atom Heart Mother
6. Careful with that Axe, Eugene
7. Band Interview
8. 24 hours - Bootleg Records
9. Review
10. One of These Days (French Windows)
11. Atom Heart Mother
12. Atom Heart Mother
13. Echoes

No, its the song Echoes from the album Meddle, which was the only song from that album originally mixed into Quad back in the day.

4. Cymbaline
5. Atom Heart Mother
7. Band Interview
9. Review
11. Atom Heart Mother
12. Atom Heart Mother
13. Echoes[/QUOTE]

just the last song

4. Cymbaline
5. Atom Heart Mother
7. Band Interview
9. Review
11. Atom Heart Mother
12. Atom Heart Mother
13. Echoes

just the last song[/QUOTE]

OK, thanks.

"Now obviously, the big question: Is the 5.1 mix of "Meddle" still on the 1971 Blu-Ray? Guess we'll have to wait until the end of March to find out!"

Lets hope so, otherwise the 1971 set seems to be the most skimpy of the lot......maybe that is a hint in itself. :)

Oh Dear God above, I thought I was the King of reading into things... Sorry laddie the brevity of this one only belies its own, shall we say "brevity". ;)

As far as the 5.1 Meddle mix still being included incognito...I'd say its an honest 50 - 50 chance.

Pink Floyd are certainly a commercial powerhouse and the economics would support fresh pressings(without the 5.1) of the discs. Done frequently when there is a manufacturing defect of the original lot, so this could very easily be done here. And we all know how paranoid and controlling Roger is. I wouldn't be surprised if Roger flies to the record plant and supervises the removal himself.

On the other hand, since the defect/issue is not one that actually is a play-ability problem or legal liability per se, the distributor may be legally advised to just let it be and save the cost of a new manufacturing run. Especially if these individual sets were planned all along, plenty of discs would have been pressed initially to fill the supply here, so all the more reason to "let it ride", knowing that 99% of customers would have no access playing through only their optical players. Roger Waters would be told that virtually all customers would not be able to hear the 5.1 Meddle mix, so Roger walks away satisfied that he can still sell a separate 5.1 Meddle Deluxe Box for $250 10 years on.

There is a completely different question that comes to mind:

Even if the stand alone edition still has the embedded 5.1 Meddle mix, what point would there be to purchase? It would be a worthless coaster as far as playing in any optical player. But you could impress your buddies: "Look the music is inside this disc! We can't listen to it but the sacred digital bits are here buried inside!!!'

Ripping the digitally encrypted audio via computer to flac then playing it is still a clear violation of English & U.S. Digital copy-write law, so one is still breaking the law. So the fact that you bought the disc still makes you a pirate just the same as if you ripped your friend's disc. So what's the point in buying it?. Unless of course for the other music.;)

My point is: For those looking to feel happy that they can now legally purchase Meddle in 5.1, the answer is still no.
(A delusional belief that Meddle 5.1 will be open & available on the reissued disc is not part of my post.)

It was petty & pointless to withhold the 5.1 Meddle mix to begin with, the box set is a rip-off and so is the individual set. Just my $.02.

Considering the way Pink Floyd have marketed their older and lesser material it makes me stop and THANK GOD that Pink Floyd marketing team have sold me DSOTM & WYWH for around $40.00(5.1 SACD) each and Division Bell for $10(DTS). No matter how I try to lie to myself, "Grooving with a Pict" et. al. just isn't on the same Planet as post-Meddle Floyd.

Wonderful music but offered at criminally exorbitant prices. The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging indeed.

I'm still dreaming of Animals & The Wall in 5.1. I do think that within the next 25 years we will get both of them. :rolleyes:

What surprises me even more is that the standalone editions include the Pompeii CD (for what supposedly they don't have the rights) and have removed the OBC stereo remix.
This doesn't make any sense to me after they recognised the error and included the OBC CD in the big box. Well, unless they do plan to have another standalone release of the new stereo and surround OBC.

I'm going to defer any Pink Floyd purchases for at least year or two, simply because reading about it is so tiresome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breaking the law by extracting something that was not advertised, nor is copyrighted in the booklet?

Very witty indeed, Mr. Wilde.

Regrettably the UK & American digital copy-write laws are technically quite broad. In the case I speak of, the criminal act
is the decryption of the data which is required before extraction can occur. So legally speaking the physical location of the
data is irrelevant. The encrypted data is still the intellectual property of the owner. So the crime would be just the same as if
one was decrypting from Roger's digital workstation(along with other crimes.) My point is: The disc may be at your house on your shelf but its just as protected as if it were back at the recording studio.

The inclusion of the 5.1 Meddle mix was a mistake, yes, but its still protected legally from decryption & extraction.:mad:

Now, if the PCM data on the disc were un-encrypted, your case would stand and extraction would be legal.

I don't really care about any of this... I just want to buy the bloody thing!!!!

We all know I'm a silly Lupin-Thief, not a lawyer, but I have read the Digital Millennium Copywrite Act, and regrettably
Britian has strengthened their powerful digital IP laws in addition. Decryption is what they don't want you doing, no matter where.

This incenses me personally, since I purchase music legally, have had for over 40 years, and by law, I am not allowed
to make a digital "best of" or play continuous music that exceeds what is on a specific disc(in regards to multi-channel DVD-A or BluRay Audio.)

Back in the day, "Fair Use" protected us. But modern digital copy-write laws have made that moot. While the police don't smash down your door for playing 5.1 flac files, they are still quite illegal if they were decrypted from a DVD-Audio or BluRay.

My singular point here:

The stand alone release if it does contains the hidden 5.1 Meddle is still of no use to us who want to legally own that fabulous 5.1 mix. And I dare say it is indeed fabulous.

Even if the stand alone edition still has the embedded 5.1 Meddle mix, what point would there be to purchase? It would be a worthless coaster as far as playing in any optical player. But you could impress your buddies: "Look the music is inside this disc! We can't listen to it but the sacred digital bits are here buried inside!!!'

Ripping the digitally encrypted audio via computer to flac then playing it is still a clear violation of English & U.S. Digital copy-write law, so one is still breaking the law.

It's not anywhere near that clear-cut. As the Wikipedia entry for 'Ripping' notes,

[h=4]United States[edit][/h]U.S. copyright law (Title 17 of the United States Code) generally says that making a copy of an original work, if conducted without the consent of the copyright owner, is infringement. The law makes no explicit grant or denial of a right to make a "personal use" copy of another's copyrighted content on one's own digital media and devices. For example, space shifting, by making a copy of a personally owned audio CD for transfer to an MP3 player for that person's personal use, is not explicitly allowed or forbidden.
Existing copyright statutes may apply to specific acts of personal copying, as determined in cases in the civil or criminal court systems, building up a body of case law. Consumer copyright infringement cases in this area, to date, have only focused on issues related to consumer rights and the applicability of the law to the sharing of ripped files, not to the act of ripping, per se.

I'm pleased to see that Floyd have decided to repackage the original box set making it more affordable, three of the box sets from 1970 on appeal to me.
I was unaware of the problems surrounding Meddle in 5.1 so I have a few questions in that regard.

1. Why the hell is it so difficult to play the content regarding Meddle 5.1
2. Will that be put right in the new batch of Floyd March box sets.

Thank you.

It's not really been repackaged, elements of what in the packaging are being released seperately (in the same sub packaging as far as we're aware) but not all of it. The vinyl and the last whatever/ation is not included in the seperate releases.

1. Meddle 5.1 was withdrawn, but for some reason the data remained on the disc although menu access to it was not possible.

2. It is not expected to be, but we don't yet know.

It's not really been repackaged, elements of what in the packaging are being released seperately (in the same sub packaging as far as we're aware) but not all of it. The vinyl and the last whatever/ation is not included in the seperate releases.
And this was always the plan. When the box was announced, they also announced that the individual volumes would be released in 2017. The packaging for each set—a DVD case-size mediabook—is unchanged. In the box, they already had individual catalog numbers and UPCs, and all the labeling necessary for individual sale.

Back