Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a preorder for the Pink Floyd set waiting for me im my email this morning with a 6:01 a.m. time stamp.

3 Choices The boxset preorder link took it directly to amazon.uk, the cd order was also amazon.uk and digital order link took it to itunes(US).

Doh, only Echoes in quad!

But we do get the video from Interstellar Overdrive with Frank Zappa!

Disappointed that it doesn't seem to include Obscured By Clouds in quad or 5.1, even though the cds include a remix of that album :confused:

Ok..I just hit the pre-order button...final price to the US..$418.65..obviously a lot of time between now and the release date...but there is no harm in getting an order in now...a far cry from $700...this will be no problem as long as it's what I want...I'll have plenty of time to research it...

Me too!

amazon US lists 27 discs

amazon UK lists 12 discs

??

Reading the detailed tracklisting I count 19 discs (cd & dvd) plus a further 8 blu rays, where its stuff repeated from the dvds. So 27 in total. Amazon's descriptions are sometimes innacurate to say the least!

There is alot to absorb here. It looks like at least 50% of this stuff is very familiar to hardcore collectors, although I am hoping and assuming that most of the versions will be upgrades of what circulates among traders.

But I think this is a great way to get it all organized and tied up in a bow. It will be curious to go through this with a fine tooth comb and see what ISN'T included of the collector stuff. For instance, a quick review seems to omit the San Francisco movie linked here:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...onal-Musicians&p=296474&viewfull=1#post296474

In any case, this is a welcome release for me - and ecstatic is not too great a term for how I feel about this set!

While I did pre-order from Amazon UK, I really need some time to absorb what I would really be getting. I'm not much of a collector, so for me it has to come down to content. A lot to consider....

Reading the detailed tracklisting I count 19 discs (cd & dvd) plus a further 8 blu rays, where its stuff repeated from the dvds. So 27 in total. Amazon's descriptions are sometimes innacurate to say the least!

27 discs in total (not counting the 5 7" singles)

1. Cambridge St/ation - 2 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

2. Germin/ation - 1 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

3. Dramatis/ation - 2 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

4. Devi/ation - 2 CD / 2 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

5. Reverber/ation - 1 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

6. Obfusc/ation - 1 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

7. Continu/ation - 1 CD / 2 DVD / 2 Blu-Ray

And for the record

The Early Years 1965-1972 will give collectors the opportunity to hear the evolution of the band and witness their part in cultural revolutions from their earliest recordings and studio sessions to the years prior to the release of The Dark Side Of The Moon, one of the biggest selling albums of all time. From the single Arnold Layne to the 20-minute epic Echoes, fans will see the invention of psychedelic progressive rock via an insightful collection that explores the Pink Floyd story from the time Roger Waters, Richard Wright, Nick Mason and Syd Barrett met at London’s Regent Street Polytechnic, through to Syd’s departure and David Gilmour joining to form the iconic lineup.

Each individual book-style package will be released separately early in 2017, except ‘BONUS CONTINU/ATION’ which is exclusive to this box set.

What is the bonus continuation?

BBC radio sessions from 67 and 68, some more live footage, "Echoes" from the 1974 show featured on the Immersion sets, some more live footage, and The Committee, More and La Vallée, films which the band provided the score for.

While I did pre-order from Amazon UK, I really need some time to absorb what I would really be getting. I'm not much of a collector, so for me it has to come down to content. A lot to consider....

And a lot of space to find to store it in! I can see the scenario with everyone's wives - postman knocks on the door to deliver a LARGE parcel. Wife shouts from another room "who was that at the door?". Husband replies "it was just a CD being delivered dear". :steering:

Ok..I just hit the pre-order button...final price to the US..$418.65..obviously a lot of time between now and the release date...but there is no harm in getting an order in now...a far cry from $700...this will be no problem as long as it's what I want...I'll have plenty of time to research it...

Snood clicked buy on Amazon UK for 418 dollars .....1/3 that of us amazon.

Figure if either Snood can't afford it by November or the other Quads are not verified.....can easily cancel.

What the hell is the continuation thing that is not going to be in the stand alone releases?

27 discs in total (not counting the 5 7" singles)

1. Cambridge St/ation - 2 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

2. Germin/ation - 1 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

3. Dramatis/ation - 2 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

4. Devi/ation - 2 CD / 2 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

5. Reverber/ation - 1 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

6. Obfusc/ation - 1 CD / 1 DVD / 1 Blu-Ray

7. Continu/ation - 1 CD / 2 DVD / 2 Blu-Ray

They must have decided that set 8. Constip/ ation was too difficult to release :couch :party

Ok, summing all this up (more for my sake than anyone else's…)

Here's the surround audio content contained in this set:
From the 1970 DEVI/ATION portion: Atom Heart Mother album original 4.0 Quad mix 1970 (Audio Only)
From the 1971 REVERBER/ATION portion: Echoes original 4.0 Quad mix 1971 (Audio Only)
From the 1972 OBFUSC/ATION portion: Live At Pompeii (with 2016 5.1 Audio Remix) [Audio-Visual Material]

And of course (as others have already pointed out) there's this tidbit:
The six individual year-specific book-style packages will be released separately early in 2017, although the bonus volume, CONTINU/ATION, will be exclusive to the box set, as will the larger memorabilia items, which are reproduced in actual size for the box.

So essentially looks like I'm waiting until 2017 for these three volumes.
:)

Back