Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a huge Floyd fan I will of course want the entire box. But for those who only want the surround, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll release them separately. It might be wishful thinking, but not unprecedented. They did it for The Division Bell.

There could very well be a live quad disc, such as Electric Moo's studio/live set. And that would be sweet, but affording this $$$.oo box will be impossible for me unless......oh yes unless Clint (the barginator) sleuths out something reasonable.

Regarding my 1970 tape of Pink Floyd live at the BEEB , it is in no way Mono .

This was a rebroadcast from the 90's in stereo introduced by Spencer Dryden. He also did an intro for a Rod Stewart early 70's concert.

Seriously hoping for some "standalone" 5.1/4.0 discs of Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured By Clouds and the mystery Quad disc!!(y)(y):party

Just to add to my prior post,

I have an additional problem with the xpense of this box set, Namely that I have to play catch up with a number of other surround titles out and soon to be released !!

AT SOME POINT WE WILL ALL REACH A SURROUND SATURATION POINT.

Love and adore Floyd though:smokin

what to do...what to do...what to do?

-anybody wanta buy a slightly used kidney ??:yikes

I'll go on record as saying I think the mystery disc is Pompeii, as it was released in theaters with a quad soundtrack. Plus in the description it mentions "feature films". As most of us probably know, there was recent restoration to the film, but as far as we knew that only extended to the visual side. Now hopefully Pink Floyd put their oar in and have provided new sound for it.

I am absolutely ecstatic for this release. Pink Floyd are my favorite band, and the post-Syd/pre-DSOTM era of the band is my most favorite. It's popularly described as a period of trial and error, but a lot of interesting choices were made and you can absolutely see how they laid the groundwork for the greatness that was to come. Jolted as I am for the surround mixes, I'm possibly even more excited for the live material. Even though I've probably heard much of it already (certainly the BBC stuff) I have no doubt that will sound more clear and crisp than most bootlegs.

Yezh it's down !!

What's up with that !??

Are they testing us with a "trial balloon" regarding the high price ?

Certainly hope they reconsider. ?.....and make it a true bargain.:rolleyes:

The link is down because it was never supposed to be up right now anyway, not until they make the official rollout of this release.
Once again, somebody jumped the gun in setting up that store page, thinking nobody would find it ahead of time, but they should know better… ;)
(That's why I copy and pasted the information from the page onto QQ so that way no one can take it away from us now!) :)

I think that when looked at in the perspective of what those of us Floyd die-hards paid for our Immersion boxes, this might actually be a better value, even at $700. The cost of three Immersion boxes ran close to $400. Those boxes provided us with 5 CDs of previously unreleased material and two albums (in both 4.0 & 5.1) in surround. We also got a small amount of video. The new box will give us a similar amount of surround material, but a significantly larger amount of previously unreleased audio and video. So in the grand scheme of things it may actually be a better bargain than the Immersion sets. (That is, for those of us who want all of the content, not just the surround.) Am I looking forward to a $700 hit on my debit card? Nope. But am I drooling (and raving, as Fourplay said) over the contents of this? Most definitely. Bring it on!

What I don't get is if Chicago can sell a 9 disk Quadio set for $100 why couldn't Pink Floyd who have sold probably 5 times more albums than Chicago over the years give the fans a break and do something at least similar to Chicago or is that the point because they are that much of a bigger seller they know they can squeeze that much more out of their fan base because they have a bigger fan base to draw from.
Well thats enough Debbie Downer price stuff.

Don't get me wrong seeing that there are 4 more potential surrounds of early PF stuff coming out does get the heart racing a little faster as this is really exciting news. :)

Listen kids, $700 suggested list price means $500 retail ok. And if you are in the market for the surround content only, I think you might find $150 to $200 investment gets the goods. It depends on if the surround discs have video content that is not surround, folks might not want to give that up as easily.

What I don't get is if Chicago can sell a 9 disk Quadio set for $100 why couldn't Pink Floyd who have sold probably 5 times more albums than Chicago over the years give the fans a break and do something at least similar to Chicago or is that the point because they are that much of a bigger seller they know they can squeeze that much more out of their fan base because they have a bigger fan base to draw from.
Well that's enough Debbie Downer price stuff.

Don't get me wrong seeing that there are 4 more potential surrounds of early PF stuff coming out does get the heart racing a little faster as this is really exciting news. :)

The Floyd masters from this era are not 100% owned by Floyd. I think beginning with WHWH they own 100% of it all. This means they must share a big chunk with the corporation. Even some of outtakes from the period are not 100% Floyd controlled. It's a big expensive undertaking, more than the Chicago set by far.

Last edited:
It says 25+ hours of recorded material. At $700 that means $28 per hour. OK, so not cheap, but a single SACD with as much material can cost $30 plus, so I actually think the price is not excessive per se. The real problem for the non-hardcore fan is the inability to cherry pick the material they want. Personally I WILL want it all, but I am sure many here will not...
One could do a 24 hour acid trip and listen to the entire thing front to back in one beautiful sitting.... LOLOL

"It would be so nice" if after this is released they would do a Pink Floyd Quadio Box Set with every PF related surround mix.

Just to really piss off the folks who sprang for the full priced deluxes, yeah.

To comment upon what some people are saying, unlike the Chicago Quadio set, this set is not designed first and foremost for us.
It's designed for Pink Floyd fans who want anything and everything to do with the band.
The best thing they could do for us would be to at least release the newer 5.1 mixes as Multichannel SACDs through Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds, just like they did for "Wish You Were Here" 5 years ago. The Quad mixes will probably be relegated exclusively to this set as there is no precedent for releasing those separately as far as Pink Floyd are concerned.
Stand-alone DVD-V releases (like for "The Division Bell") would not be that great as the audio quality would suffer.

Above all, please don't pester someone like Andy Jackson for separate releases of these surround mixes. He already knows we want them without having to fork over a kidney for them, and while he can make suggestions to the band, their management, and their label, it's ultimately up to them to make any and all decisions regarding these releases.
The important thing is that once they are out there, they can never take them away from us. ;)

rtbluray said:

Above all, please don't pester someone like Andy Jackson for separate releases of these surround mixes. He already knows we want them without having to fork over a kidney for them, and while he can make suggestions to the band, their management, and their label, it's ultimately up to them to make any and all decisions regarding these releases.
The important thing is that once they are out there, they can never take them away from us. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, rt, it worked with Alan Parsons suggesting to whoever is releasing Tales of Mystery & Imagination to 'possibly' release a separate BD~A 5.1 instead of springing for the kitchen sink version of Tales of Mystery & Imagination (at what, $158???)

I like PF very much but 25 hours of early Floyd is a bit much, even for me. I want the Separate 5.1 releases and your suggestion that AP/Acoustic Sounds might release them as separate SACDs with a suggested list price of, say, $35 each does not seem unreasonable and would also be profitable to ALL concerned, especially to the 'more casual' PF fan who does NOT want to spend $700 for such an elaborate and might I add beautifully lavish boxset but wants the surround releases ONLY!

The best thing they could do for us would be to at least release the newer 5.1 mixes as Multichannel SACDs through Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds, just like they did for "Wish You Were Here" 5 years ago.

I disagree. Many of us consider SACD and DSD to be a huge mistake with no real technical merit. The best thing they could do for us is to make the surround mixes available in a modern LPCM-based format such as Blu-ray or flac download.

I disagree. Many of us consider SACD and DSD to be a huge mistake with no real technical merit. The best thing they could do for us is to make the surround mixes available in a modern LPCM-based format such as Blu-ray or flac download.

I didn't want to broach that subject, but I agree that BD~A would be my choice, as well. Especially if the A>D coversion was done PCM. rt suggested AP as PF's James Guthrie [who may have had nothing to do with these early remixes] has a relationship with AP which currently do not release in the BD~A format. But in AP's defense, if they did the SACDs DSD from the original analogue quad tapes, I'm sure they'd sound pretty spectacular.

Back