Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourplay

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
There has been conjecture about this forthcoming box set on another thread, but I am guessing there will be enough interest to warrant a new thread.

In the years shown, there are three known quad mixes:

Atom Heart Mother (full LP)

Pompeii (an official quad soundtrack to the movie)

Meddle (at least Echoes, if not the full LP)

An image can be seen here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ng-and-the-Mix&p=304539&viewfull=1#post304539

OK, let the discussion continue!

Obviously, any and all Quad mixes from this era would be excellent inclusions into this set, and if they are there in high-res, then I am all in for this set!
But even if that doesn't come to pass, there are still other great ways that this era of Pink Floyd's career can finally get its due.
For example, Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds could release SACDs of all of these albums in tandem with the set's release.
I'm sure they would be amazing sellers, and I'm sure a lot of our membership would pick them up if they were released, even if they were just stereo or mono. :)

Knowing Pink Floyd's management history with these boxsets............Snood's money is on the side that says they drop the ball on any surround aspects agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain. :howl

Hope for the best, but with PF...........think the worst :howl

Even if for some reason they do include Atom Heart Quad in the box.............this box set, if true, will be veeeeeeeeeeeeery expensive. :rolleyes:

Knowing Pink Floyd's management history with these boxsets............Snood's money is on the side that says they drop the ball on any surround aspects agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain. :howl

Hope for the best, but with PF...........think the worst :howl

Even if for some reason they do include Atom Heart Quad in the box.............this box set, if true, will be veeeeeeeeeeeeery expensive. :rolleyes:

Actually, apart from the expense of these sets, they really haven't dropped the ball at all when it comes to surround.
The "Dark Side" and "Wish You Were Here" box sets had both the 5.1 and Quad mixes included, and "The Division Bell" set had a 5.1 mix too, one that was completed several years ago that we didn't even know about until they got it out.
Yeah, so the box set for "The Wall" didn't have surround in it, but that's because no surround mix existed for it at the time, and they would never have completed a new surround mix for it in time for the box set's release. (AAMOF, they still haven't finished it!)
But when it comes to this set (if they are smart and if they found the needed tapes in good enough condition) any existing surround mixes from this period should be included, and if they aren't, well then, it's no sale for me. Plain and simple.

:)

Actually, apart from the expense of these sets, they really haven't dropped the ball at all when it comes to surround.
The "Dark Side" and "Wish You Were Here" box sets had both the 5.1 and Quad mixes included, and "The Division Bell" set had a 5.1 mix too, one that was completed several years ago that we didn't even know about until they got it out.
Yeah, so the box set for "The Wall" didn't have surround in it, but that's because no surround mix existed for it at the time, and they would never have completed a new surround mix for it in time for the box set's release. (AAMOF, they still haven't finished it!)
But when it comes to this set (if they are smart and if they found the needed tapes in good enough condition) any existing surround mixes from this period should be included, and if they aren't, well then, it's no sale for me. Plain and simple.

:)

Troooooo dat RT - Snood dropped the ball on that one..........was even thinking about the Blurays Snood bout off Amazon UK when they sold them disc only in a white sleeve lol......... but slipped my mind.

Thanks for the reminder........

Snood changes his stance tooooooooooooooooooo Ok maybe they will................but will be super expensive still. Urgh.

If that leaked pic is any indication.........thinking 200 to 300 dollars easy. Wouldn't ya think? :yikes

next teaser up on facebook and twitter: Games for May poster!

In my previous post I detailed known Floyd quad mixes, but left out what must be a grail of sorts for Floyd fans: the Games For May concert. This was presented at London’s Queen Elizabeth Hall on May 12, 1967, and was the first live performance in which Pink Floyd used surround sound. It probably is the first time ANY band used a form of surround sound, and was among the earlier presentations of surround sound in any venue, predated by Fantasia and other experimental installations.

Here is a description of the event: http://www.wired.com/2009/05/dayintech_0512/

Now the likelihood that this was RECORDED in surround is staggeringly low, as state of the art recording at the time was four tracks maximum, and this was on large machines in expensive studios. It seems improbable that a then-giant four track recorder would have been dragged to the gig. From the description it also sounds like the Azimuth Coordinator, their custom built mixer, was designed more to feed a PA system.

The concert is known to have been recorded (in stereo, I presume), with at least one interview I have read over the years referring to the tape being in possession of a friend or associate of the band.

As reported in the above article, "the Azimuth Coordinator was stolen after the show." However another one was built and used at live gigs, possibly as early as 1969, but certainly by 1970 when the Floyd were playing Cymbaline with a 'footsteps sequence' where the recorded steps wandered around the hall and the audience. The possibility that one of these later day concerts was recorded in surround is tantalizing, and if such a recording does exist, it would be amazing if it were included in this box set.

If I am not mistaken, most if not all Pink Floyd concerts were performed in surround sound beginning in 1970. If none of these shows were ever captured in that format as presented, it would be a remarkable lack of foresight on the part of the band.

One final note: I am not positive of the years and setups, but Roger Waters has described his conception of quad mixing for live sound, and in the absence of a direct source for this I will paraphrase. 'The human tends to listen to whether the sound is to the left, behind, or to the right of him. Therefore when (Pink Floyd) mix surround sound live they have speakers to the left, to the rear, and to the right of the crowd, as well as a stereo pair of PA speakers bordering the stage.' This configuration is borne out for the 1977 Animals tour, as seen in the back of the sheet music book for the Animals album on Page 85. There is a rack of three equalizers labeled in turn: Quad 2 Right, Quad 3 Rear, Quad 4 Left.

I bring this up for obvious reasons. If they do attempt to release a live surround mix "as recorded," the speaker configuration would differ from our now standard 5.1 layout. It would be curious to see if they attempted to remix to fit the 5.1 format, or possibly to encode in 7.1 and then sum the furthest rear speakers to a mono signal.

The more likely scenario is that my discussion is moot, but I am hoping that something from all of their years of pioneering surround play will be included. The prospect is exciting!

If I am not mistaken, most if not all Pink Floyd concerts were performed in surround sound beginning in 1970. If none of these shows were ever captured in that format as presented, it would be a remarkable lack of foresight on the part of the band.

I believe I read somewhere that they didn't start recording their own shows until 1972, and even then they mostly didn't use any multi-track systems for the most part. Which is why we only got the BBC show for the live performance of DSOTM for the Immersion set.

I'll just be happy if it's spiffed up versions of the John Peel shows, maybe the Man And The Journey concert, and unreleased studio tracks and such.

I believe I read somewhere that they didn't start recording their own shows until 1972, and even then they mostly didn't use any multi-track systems for the most part. Which is why we only got the BBC show for the live performance of DSOTM for the Immersion set.

I'll just be happy if it's spiffed up versions of the John Peel shows, maybe the Man And The Journey concert, and unreleased studio tracks and such.

I have a BBC live show, broadcast from a 1970 concert.I don't believe it's quad but it is interesting to note the musical selections cover music from Electric Moo/Pompeii, one could say music from 69 and prior.

That was one of the John Peel concerts. There was another in 1971 weeks before the release of Meddle that has to me the definitive live version of "Echoes". That fortunately is easy to find in great condition online, and in stereo. I believe the one from 1970 is in mono though I'd have to believe there is a stereo mix that exists.

How did you come upon that listing? Whatever it is, it looks like they've pulled it.

That was from the IMWAN forum originally, but it also got up on the Steve Hoffman Forum too.
I guess those involved with Pink Floyd saw it out and about and asked amazon to remove it.
That $700 price tag especially doesn't look good when there's no details to support it (yet…)

It may have just been a dummy place holding listing, pricewise: the band name was listed as Colour (Color?) so it was not definitive.

2 historic Quad mixes (1 unreleased), plus new 5.1 mixes of Meddle and Obscured By Clouds album

Back