Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, OP is referring to the original, period quad mix of Pompeii, which was included on a DVD release some years back.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, as I often am, but I do not think that the "period quad mix" was ever released in any official capacity. My recollection is that a fan got access to a rare film print of Pompeii (which received a very limited release in quad to theaters so equipped) and took the time and effort to transfer that quad mix to DVD-A. That mix then circulated in collector circles, but was never officially released.

I believe that is the case. The transfer was discussed on QQ to some degree. I have the "Director's Cut" DVD version and I'm certain it was not the original quad soundtrack replicated in DD on there. Someone who has the giant box set should be able to comment on how the new 5.1 version compares with previous iterations, be them quad or Dolby.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, as I often am, but I do not think that the "period quad mix" was ever released in any official capacity. My recollection is that a fan got access to a rare film print of Pompeii (which received a very limited release in quad to theaters so equipped) and took the time and effort to transfer that quad mix to DVD-A. That mix then circulated in collector circles, but was never officially released.

That is my recollection as well.

Thanks, I looked yesterday and didn't see them on importcds. Now...I have 1969-70-71 ordered, we'll see about others later. Also in the waiting for category...... "Oranges & Lemons" as I have run out of BR music discs to buy...... and long time "Wants" that I never pulled the trigger on: "Workingman's Dead" and Yes's "Magnification"....at $35 and $25 they were not bad deals.

I believe that is the case. The transfer was discussed on QQ to some degree. I have the "Director's Cut" DVD version and I'm certain it was not the original quad soundtrack replicated in DD on there. Someone who has the giant box set should be able to comment on how the new 5.1 version compares with previous iterations, be them quad or Dolby.

I've heard both. DISCLAIMER: I know almost nothing about how recordings are mastered or mixed. I know almost nothing about how to set up a surround system other than the basics about speaker placement and some tweaking of levels, etc. I can't reliably hear above CD-level quality.

Having said all that, I like both mixes. The 5.1 has what I think is some distortion, most noticeable to me during the Hammond/Leslie bits in Echoes. It's like a cassette tape recording of your buddies' "Live at Fillmore East" LP with the levels too high.

If I have to pick a preferable mix, it's the Quad. The guitar ROARs during echoes and carries around the room on my system. I feel like I'm in the amphitheater with the Four Knights of Mystic Madness.

I also like the 5.1, the instrument placement is very precise. The sonic limitations remind me of the not very good VHS dub I had back in 1989. It's a sentimental love. Were I an actual audiophile, I'd be a little gutted. I don't like that Echoes was mixed together, because I always liked how it stopped in the middle. It's like the SNAP of a light switch before you go to bed. They engineered that SNAP away, and I hated it. I miss the SNAP.

I also like the 5.1, the instrument placement is very precise.

The 4-track (L-C-R-S) mix that was on most of the 1970s magnetic prints also had very nice placement. I have no idea why it wasn't used for the now out-of-print DVD. Also never understood why the 4-track mag mix of "The Song Remains the Same" wasn't used for its DVD. I wonder if they're actually lost.

Also never understood why the 4-track mag mix of "The Song Remains the Same" wasn't used for its DVD. I wonder if they're actually lost.

Has the Zeppelin mix referenced above ever circulated in collector's circles? I would quite like to hear that. Not enough Zep in surround!

Has the Zeppelin mix referenced above ever circulated in collector's circles? I would quite like to hear that. Not enough Zep in surround!

A good question, and I don't know the answer.

I know for sure there were 35mm prints with 4-track magnetic sound because I was lucky enough to see/hear one a very long time ago. But I don't know if they were common or if the cheaper optical Dolby system had already started becoming more prevalent. Even though it irks me, I can at least make the case that the 2.0 track on the DVD is historically accurate since I think there were optical stereo prints available at the time.

The Pink Floyd story is far more annoying because as far as I know, with the exception of the two quadraphonic prints, all the prints were all either optical mono or magnetic 4-track. The 2.0 track on the DVD doesn't sound bad by any means, but it's not historically accurate at all. With Dolby decoding, the Laserdisc sounds like a matrix encoding of the 4-track mix (instruments come of out of the correct speakers and "On the Run", which was always just panned mono, does what my memory says the theatrical mix did). I'm not sure where the DVD mix came from, but I don't think it's the same. Or it's just been too long since I've watched it and I'm old and grumpy and confused.

L-C-R-S means the rear channels are same (mono). Nor really 'quad' is we know it, but this is how it was done in cinemas in the early-mid 70s (Yessongs, the movie, was the same).

I'd wager the modern DVD/BluRay 5.1 mix of the soundtrack is an improvement.

I'd wager the modern DVD/BluRay 5.1 mix of the soundtrack is an improvement.

I don't have the 5.1 , so I cant really say. But the hobbyist release was done exceptionally well. There are versions with and without the video if I recall correctly. And I also remember reading a lot of verbiage about the restoration work that was needed, changes to delays maybe, or synching up tracks from the cinematic reel but I don't remember the details at all. I'd like to re read it if anyone finds it again.

Last edited:
I don't have the 5.1 , so I cant really say. But the hobbyist release was done exceptionally well. There are versions with and without the video if I recall correctly. And I also remember reading a lot of verbiage about the restoration work that was needed, changes to delays maybe, or synching up tracks from the cinematic reel but I don't remember the details at all. I'd like to re read it if anyone finds it again.

I was referring to the Led Zep, not Floyd.

L-C-R-S means the rear channels are same (mono). Nor really 'quad' is we know it, but this is how it was done in cinemas in the early-mid 70s (Yessongs, the movie, was the same).

At this point it's probably been 40 years since I last heard a mag print of "Yessongs", but the surround track was going the whole time and sounded awful. I talked to the projectionist who speculated that it was probably a quad mix that the theater wasn't equipped to reproduce properly.

Of course, that doesn't mean he was right or that (like Pink Floyd) there weren't multiple mixes.

yes i received it a couple of days ago, and i actually paid it 230 pounds including shipping to italy as the price dropped even more before going up again. amazon packaging was really bad, i am lucky the outer box is still in perfect conditions. haven't opened it yet, i will do in the coming months as i have already in digital form what i was looking for, expecially meddle in 5.1

Time to look at backsides! ;)

91AP7-EKNlL._SL1500_.jpg

91pngsUcWOL._SL1500_.jpg

919b-qSrtYL._SL1500_.jpg

Back