Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm confused.

For the original box set (not the recent individual releases) is Meddle 5.1 on the blu-ray only or is it also on the DVD (since in every other set the DVD is supposed to have the same contents as the Blu-ray, just in a different format)?

I'm confused.

For the original box set (not the recent individual releases) is Meddle 5.1 on the blu-ray only or is it also on the DVD (since in every other set the DVD is supposed to have the same contents as the Blu-ray, just in a different format)?

It's only on the Blu-Ray.

We talked about this on Y! but for everyone here:

The portable device style mastering work (the slamming and eq hyping) gets done to the full resolution master files (ie. the 24 bit 96k files). Then there's the final step after the processing to put that data into the reduced format container. First you do the slamming and eq "work". Then convert the sample rate down. Then reduce the bitdepth from 24 to 16.

What I'm saying is I've heard more than a few releases where the "24 bit master" is actually the file that has already been slammed and hyped for the CD release but before the 'container' reduction. It's bait & switch when the point was to purchase a master edition with full dynamic range.

Well the cat's out of the bag then. I would have rather been wrong.
We've seen things get updated versions on HDtracks before. Don't hold your breath but maybe cross your fingers?

So these downloads are being sold pointedly as upgrades for the CDs. None of the bluray content is included.
And... they're 24 bit copies of the CD mastering.

Ya know, there's plenty of stuff I'd like to spend money on from these guys. This is all something else.

You know what? A straight conversion of the master to 44.1k and then 16 bit would be much preferable to the 24 bit copy of the boosted/eq hyped/noise reduced version!

While mastering for different formats (CD, MP3, digital devices, etc.) may be commonplace these days this is NOT what was done for the audio for TEY. Andy remastered all the audio as you previously described -

jimfisheye said:
Audio is produced to the highest standards possible with professional equipment first.

Now depending on what the end goal is, you might listen to your work on small speakers or a laptop to make sure you aren't producing something that requires an audiophile reference system to even listen to.

The output of the modern digital audio workstation (used for mixing and mastering) is HD. 24 bit 96k (sometimes people work at 192k). So an HD master is pretty much straight from the mastering desk to the consumer. (This is the short version. Yes, there is more to talk about there.)

In the case of the audio for TEY, the HD master straight from the mastering desk was only down-sampled for the various formats and was not EQed/remastered for the various formats. They're all the same. So the only things to legitimately complain about are Andy's remastering choices (too bright?) and that some files are still being withheld at their mastered HD resolution (48/24 and 96/24).

I went through these.

The 24 bit 44.1k editions being offered on HDTracks are in fact the exact copies of these tracks that were prepared for the CD editions with the extra peak limiting and boosting, high end eq bump, and added noise reduction. Just the already prepared files but before the reduction to 16 bit.

There is absolutely no content left in these versions of the mastering that was lost in the 16 bit reduction but is still preserved in these 24 bit copies. The "mastering for portable device listening" (eg. iThings, phones) work eclipses anything to do with SD vs. HD formats.

Perhaps the intention was something else? That these versions are being offered in 24 bit suggests they might be the unmolested master edition like the Creation sampler. They are in fact the very same edition as the CD's. You can even null the 24 bit files against the 16 bit files and hear silence! (You'll see a little wiggle on the meter down at -70db.)

If these were never meant to be a more deluxe HD version and instead an alternate budget edition, well there you go. These are NOT the HD edition like the Creation sampler tracks.

In defense of these "mastered for portable devices" editions (as I'm calling them), Pink Floyd have MUCH higher standards than most others out there! Really truly. Some of the tracks were not altered very much at all from the masters. Some sound like absolutely no difference. But a few as discussed before have added noise reduction, brighter eq, and are louder. Just be aware that these 24/44.1 copies have the exact same processing done (whatever you think of that).

Listen to The Violent Sequence for a more obvious example.

Let me be VERY clear that this set sounds head and shoulders above a lot of what gets released in the wild! (With the exception of the 3 remixes that were blinded with high end eq!) I do apologize for jumping in the deep end and not making that point clear enough right up front!
Just that if you were looking for a deluxe HD master version - these HDTracks versions are not it! They also omit ALL the bluray content which is not trivial.

Buy the box and the Creation sampler and continue being patient. :)

Today's cash register analogy:
A till with only bill slots and no change bins is your mp3.
A till with change bins that go two places to the right of the decimal is your CD.
HD formats can go further to the right of the decimal. (And it's true that this only matters sometimes.)

If you can't afford no shoes, none of this will help you! (Cue Frank Zappa)

In defense of these "mastered for portable devices" editions (as I'm calling them)
Yes, and I have a problem with this because of all the valid complaints you have this is very misleading. If you have a problem with Andy's mastering choices then you are entitled to that opinion which I respect. But in no way were these mastered with portable devices or any media in mind. The audio tracks were mastered to sound as good as they can using his studio equipment and monitors.

..."mastered for portable devices" editions...

If I may be permitted a brief aside...
I just saw this for the first time in my experience in the new Philip Glass Complete Sony Recordings box set.

There's a bonus CD with a "Special Remix for Compact Cassette" version of his 1981 groundbreaking Glassworks album.
It's interesting that this was a real thing 36 years ago.
[when it was factory Dolby cassette tapes (and home taping and sharing) that were killing the record industry.]

I've listened and looked at the waveforms.
Nothing dramatic, a little extra compression and eq tweaks, which would be appropriate for classical music in a moving vehicle or jogging with a Walkman.

https://www.discogs.com/Philip-Glass-The-Complete-Sony-Recordings/release/9971234

I have received the Reverber/ation standalone box and have been looking for the Meddle 5.1 content. I have used MakeMKV with decryption on to generate a backup of the bluray disc. When the backup folder is reviewed within eac3to, there is an 1:10 (hh:mm) .mpls file in 24 bits/48KHz and there is another .mpls file that is 23:43 (mm:ss) long in 4.0 channel, DTS Master Audio and is the Echoes in quad. There is no evidence that I can find for the Meddle 5.1 content unless I am doing something wrong - which is my hope, since I really want the Meddle 5.1 content. Am I doing something wrong or has the hidden Meddle content been removed from the standalone box?

I have received the Reverber/ation standalone box and have been looking for the Meddle 5.1 content. I have used MakeMKV with decryption on to generate a backup of the bluray disc. When the backup folder is reviewed within eac3to, there is an 1:10 (hh:mm) .mpls file in 24 bits/48KHz and there is another .mpls file that is 23:43 (mm:ss) long in 4.0 channel, DTS Master Audio and is the Echoes in quad. There is no evidence that I can find for the Meddle 5.1 content unless I am doing something wrong - which is my hope, since I really want the Meddle 5.1 content. Am I doing something wrong or has the hidden Meddle content been removed from the standalone box?

Yes - AFAIK its been removed from the standalone box. :(

It's kind of crazy to say this, but after buying the last 3 volumes of the "Early Years" set (70, 71 & 72) I have been enjoying the video material in those sets so much that I really want to go back and buy the first three volumes too (65-67, 68 & 69).
For those that have all 6 volumes (or the entire box set), of the first three volumes, which is the one you like the most, especially as it relates to the Blu-Ray content? (You can also talk about which of those three volumes has the best CD content too if you like.)

:)

It's kind of crazy to say this, but after buying the last 3 volumes of the "Early Years" set (70, 71 & 72) I have been enjoying the video material in those sets so much that I really want to go back and buy the first three volumes too (65-67, 68 & 69).
For those that have all 6 volumes (or the entire box set), of the first three volumes, which is the one you like the most, especially as it relates to the Blu-Ray content? (You can also talk about which of those three volumes has the best CD content too if you like.)

For me, the real jewel here was getting to see the band perform "Interstellar Overdrive" with Zappa. It's on the 1969 box. However, I have to say that I love all the video. I buy so much music that it has a tendency to stack up on my couch and it takes me forever to get through it all just because I don't have the time to get to it all. (There are still 3 albums in the Quadio box that I have yet to listen to.) However, with the Floyd box, I had worked my way through the entire thing in under a week. All the video is wonderful. And there's lots of fascinating audio. (The pre-Piper recordings from 1965 are a hoot!) I single out the Zappa performance for a couple of reasons. First, the Floyd almost never invited another artist on stage to jam with them so it's very lucky that this rare occasion was captured on film. Second, as much as I enjoyed watching all of the footage, much of it I had seen before as a lot of it has found its way onto youtube, etc over the years. (The bootleg versions that I had seen before though were often of inferior quality so it's nice to have an upgrade.) The performance with Zappa had never seen the light of day before so it was a real treat. YMMV.

Ja, I wasn't going to buy all of them....but then I ended up doing just that and mainly because of the video content. I'm still working my way through things so I can't say best of 67/68/69, but.... Someone commented on here that they wanted more Syd from the first box. He is in every video from what I saw! How much more could he have been represented? The 68 year I figured would be my least fave, but it is surprisingly varied also and the color is good on some of the live performances. Glad I have them all.

This site is an excellent fan's eye (and ear) run through of the box:

http://eichler.byethost11.com/Music/FloydEarlyYears/TheEarlyYears.html?i=1

You can't make a bad choice here in regards to the video footage. It's all great. But my personal favorite of the 3 would be 1968 - so much terrific TV footage of the band with the newly recruited Gilmour.

I like all the boxes. It depends on my mood as the first 2 boxes are more Piper & Saucerful tracks compared to the music Floyd was producing from 1969 and onwards.
They are all worthy of having mate.
I will never play the vinyl that will become something just to look at :mad:@:

I like all the boxes. It depends on my mood as the first 2 boxes are more Piper & Saucerful tracks compared to the music Floyd was producing from 1969 and onwards.
They are all worthy of having mate.
I will never play the vinyl that will become something just to look at :mad:@:
Well, listening to the singles on vinyl is on my to-do list since Andy Jackson said they have been created using the analogue masters, unlike the LP reissues that come from digital transfers

So I decided to buy the 1969 "Dramatis/ation" set today, and so far, the video on this set is just as good as the other 3 sets I have so far.
I'm planning on buying the 1968 and 1967 sets very soon too.

I still need to buy the 1967 and 1968 sets, but I just won a copy of the first Blu-Ray disc from the bonus "Continu/ation" set on eBay.
I definitely do not need the 2nd Blu-Ray disc from that set (with the films for "More" and "La Vallee" ["Obscured by Clouds"]) or the DVDs, so unless someone sells just the CD from that set, then I'm good to go.

Back