Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
import CD sent me my shipping confirmation for '70, '71, '72 last night - Excellent
Fingers crossed that Meddle is still buried on the disc and that I can figure out how to extract it!

import CD sent me my shipping confirmation for '70, '71, '72 last night - Excellent
Fingers crossed that Meddle is still buried on the disc and that I can figure out how to extract it!

We are all eagerly await your report. :D

Anyway, you're still in for a musical feast.

I got my shipping notice this morning from amazon.com, therefore I have reserved some time for some serious Pink Floyd listening over the weekend! :)

No he's ordered a few of the separate sets. Look a few post up for some action snaps. :)

That's correct. I ordered the 1970, 1971, and 1972 sets.
I did have an interest in buying the full box set, however not only is it usually a lot more expensive, but it's so big, I honestly have no idea where I would put it!
These individual sets appear to be about the size of the Jethro Tull book sets, so they will be a lot easier to shelve than the big box.

:)

Ah, I get it. I saw those earlier, but I guess I didn't realize that was a live shot. :)

It's also a Sure Shot! ;)

We interrupt this Pink Floyd thread for a visual tribute to PF by The Beastie Boys... ;)

[video=youtube;ZdJ5e70Q8mw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdJ5e70Q8mw[/video]

At this point it's probably been 40 years since I last heard a mag print of "Yessongs", but the surround track was going the whole time and sounded awful. I talked to the projectionist who speculated that it was probably a quad mix that the theater wasn't equipped to reproduce properly.

Of course, that doesn't mean he was right or that (like Pink Floyd) there weren't multiple mixes.

These concert film quad mixes were produced for only two theaters (in NY & LA) that were equipped to play the L R Ls Rs format. The cinema print I worked on from Pompeii was RIDDLED with offset errors in the audio! Even the separate channels were offset from each other by the time the production master was cobbled together. (And there was direct evidence in the audio on the cinema print that these errors could have only been copied from the production master as opposed to coming about during copying the production master to make the cinema print. See my mastering notes for the Pompeii bluray for details.)

Now this comment isn't intended as a pointed critique of the technology or the typical quality of work done at the time! It was difficult to keep on point with keeping sync locked when the audio and video took separate paths during production. It was common to send production masters back (reject them that is) for rework - not if, but when this happened. So these special L R Ls Rs quad mixes that were only produced for two theaters... You see where this is going right? They didn't have the budget for a lot of back and forth for these special concert film editions for only two theaters!

Nobody and I mean NOBODY heard Live at Pompeii correctly in the theater! It was an out of sync disaster! (Not just sound vs. vision but the 4 channels themselves were offset and at different amounts throughout the film.)

Based on that knowledge I wouldn't be surprised if all these rare quad mixed concert films from the early/mid '70s were highly flawed.

Maybe this has been answered already , but do the new subsets have the Meddle Quad still hidden on the disc? :mad:@:

Maybe this has been answered already , but do the new subsets have the Meddle Quad still hidden on the disc? :mad:@:

It's a 5.1 mix of "Meddle". (Only "Echoes" was ever mixed in Quadraphonic, and that's definitely on the set.)
The answer is we won't know know until some brave soul gets their 1971 set in and gets the Blu-Ray on the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't remember this being discussed before here: did anybody compare the 96/24 HDTRACKS version of Creation compilation with the CD?
I've read at SHF that all individual boxes will be released tomorrow at HDTRACKS too and I wonder if OBC and Pompeii will have a correct mastering

Don't remember this being discussed before here: did anybody compare the 96/24 HDTRACKS version of Creation compilation with the CD?
I've read at SHF that all individual boxes will be released tomorrow at HDTRACKS too and I wonder if OBC and Pompeii will have a correct mastering

Fingers crossed for that!

The CD versions of the same tracks from the 24/96 master version of the Creation compilation are inferior as expected. Then have been limited and boosted a db or 2, have a little bit of an extra edge in the high end (either eq or noise shaping or dither from the reduction to 16 bit), and some of them have been hit with noise reduction. The noise reduction raises an eyebrow but the other stuff is expected (even if unwanted) with CD versions of releases.

The mastering disaster that happened with the new remixes (both stereo and surround) is on a whole different level than any of that. While the CD versions of everything else are inferior to the Creation sampler master versions, they are not anywhere near what you would call destroyed like the remixes. Actually more towards the classy end for portable device mastering compared to a lot of things out there.

I'd say we know what to expect from the HD release for everything else. Fingers crossed for the remixes to be restored!
That the 24/96 HD 5.1 remixes of Meddle & Pompeii were also damaged in this way while none of the other HD surround content had any issue isn't a good sign though.

The mastering disaster that happened with the new remixes (both stereo and surround) is on a whole different level than any of that. While the CD versions of everything else are inferior to the Creation sampler master versions, they are not anywhere near what you would call destroyed like the remixes. Actually more towards the classy end for portable device mastering compared to a lot of things out there.

I'd say we know what to expect from the HD release for everything else. Fingers crossed for the remixes to be restored!
That the 24/96 HD 5.1 remixes of Meddle & Pompeii were also damaged in this way while none of the other HD surround content had any issue isn't a good sign though.
Wait, what? This "destroyed" sound is news to me. I've only listened to the 24/96 CRE/ATION and the 5.1 mix of Meddle so far, but I heard nothing that made me say, "This was botched in mastering." Is there a consensus on this?

UPDATE: I just compared HDtracks' samples of "Free Four" from CRE/ATION and OBFUSC/ATION, and it is clear that something is very wrong with the top end on the OBFUSC/ATION master. I assume this is also the case on the physical versions? That's next to inexcusable. I still don't hear the same issue on the Meddle remix, at least on a quick spot check of the stereo ("Fearless," "One of These Days"); there is some "sheen," yes, but it's not excessive and grating like I heard on the HDtracks sample of "Free Four."

Last edited:
As I bought the big box, I'm kind of happy to see that HDTRACKS is releasing the individual boxes only at 44.1/24 bits! What a strange move, by the way!

As I bought the big box, I'm kind of happy to see that HDTRACKS is releasing the individual boxes only at 44.1/24 bits! What a strange move, by the way!

So you're happy that those who haven't bought the big set cannot get these in Hi-Res? Wow!

So you're happy that those who haven't bought the big set cannot get these in Hi-Res? Wow!
Haha, don't misunderstand me Simon! It was just irony. I may have even considered re-buying some of the sets if they had been in real high resolution and with a better mastering

Haha, don't misunderstand me Simon! It was just irony. I may have even considered re-buying some of the sets if they had been in real high resolution and with a better mastering

I had just gone up and my sleepy head wasn't too sure how to read you. :)

It is too bad they chose that route instead of making these available in 96/24.

Just pulled 1971 Reverber from the mailbox, in pristine condition from Amazon.
Threw on the blu-ray and am quite enjoying the restored videos.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but as I listen to STCFTHOTS live from June '71, the LPCM 2.0ch 48/24 audio is totally mono L=R.
I'm loving watching Rick Wright manipulate the azimuth joystick, but I can only get sound from my rears by forcing the receiver into L=C=R=LR=RR.

Now that the Mrs has left for her hair appointment, time to crank the 4.0 Echoes.

Somebody be sure to let us know if I have an Easter Egg on here, not that it's a big deal to me. :sun

A great quote just played as I typed this:

"We don't actually have sound engineers, we don't use a lot of tapes, we have a couple of road managers...
Nearly everything we use onstage is very unsophisticated...

There are certain myths about Pink Floyd, one of which is that we have loads of electronic equipment- which isn't true.
We have one guitar, one bass, one set of drums, one organ, plus some echo units...

There's only one thing you couldn't go into any music shop and buy...

(wait for it)

... and that's our quadrophonic pan pot system."

:51banana:

Back