Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1970 Deviation and 1971 Reverberation sets have arrived today. Unfortunately I don't think that I'll have a chance today to check the contents of the bluray, but hopefully sometime this weekend I will.

It's a 5.1 mix of "Meddle". (Only "Echoes" was ever mixed in Quadraphonic, and that's definitely on the set.)
The answer is we won't know know until some brave soul gets their 1971 set in and gets the Blu-Ray on the computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I've put the bluray in the computer (but not in my bluray player yet) and I have to report that, disappointingly, the Meddle 5.1 doesn't seem to be there anymore :(

Well I've put the bluray in the computer (but not in my bluray player yet) and I have to report that, disappointingly, the Meddle 5.1 doesn't seem to be there anymore :(

Wow, that's super disappointing. I ordered this based on the possibility of the 5.1 mix. :(

If you've already thoroughly checked through the contents on a computer, can you check the dates on the files?
If they are dated after the November release, that means they went back in and stripped the "Meddle" 5.1 mix to create a new Blu-Ray master for replication. :(

If you've already thoroughly checked through the contents on a computer, can you check the dates on the files?
If they are dated after the November release, that means they went back in and stripped the "Meddle" 5.1 mix to create a new Blu-Ray master for replication. :(

My old laptop, which is the only one I have with a bluray drive, has been closed down now, and it takes a lonnnnnnnggggggggggggg time to fire up, so I'll have to check the dates another day!

Just pulled 1971 Reverber from the mailbox, in pristine condition from Amazon.
Threw on the blu-ray and am quite enjoying the restored videos.

Maybe this is common knowledge, but as I listen to STCFTHOTS live from June '71, the LPCM 2.0ch 48/24 audio is totally mono L=R.
I'm loving watching Rick Wright manipulate the azimuth joystick, but I can only get sound from my rears by forcing the receiver into L=C=R=LR=RR.

Now that the Mrs has left for her hair appointment, time to crank the 4.0 Echoes.

Somebody be sure to let us know if I have an Easter Egg on here, not that it's a big deal to me. :sun

A great quote just played as I typed this:

"We don't actually have sound engineers, we don't use a lot of tapes, we have a couple of road managers...
Nearly everything we use onstage is very unsophisticated...

There are certain myths about Pink Floyd, one of which is that we have loads of electronic equipment- which isn't true.
We have one guitar, one bass, one set of drums, one organ, plus some echo units...

There's only one thing you couldn't go into any music shop and buy...

(wait for it)

... and that's our quadrophonic pan pot system."

:51banana:

Yeah, that audio was recorded by the film company. Sadly all you can do is WATCH rick pan himself around now. :(

Normally back then it would have been difficult to run a separate mix for the film people from the FOH mixing board. The ability to have different balances for the room (where some instruments are already loud themselves) and the film where you need the complete sound. Also sometimes the FOH sound was pretty crude in this era! (To put it mildly!) The film people know this and set up their own mics. That's why you see two sets of mics in these old videos. It let the film people actually capture the audio vs. the un-airable disaster they would have been left with otherwise.

But the Floyd had this evolved system and delivered not only well mixed sound (yes, with echo units and everything!) but live surround sound. Which ended up meaning ALL the concert videos made like this are epic disasters for Pink Floyd specifically and their ahead of its time live surround mix is not preserved in any way shape or form.
You just get the simpleton mono mix (with NONE of the live fx) the film crew made. :(

Ok, not only is the "Meddle" 5.1 mix not on the new Blu-Ray, but all three folders have a last modified date of 12/15/2016, so yeah they modified the Blu-Ray disc after they discovered we knew that it was on there originally.

You see? There is a price to pay for saying too much…

Ok, not only is the "Meddle" 5.1 mix not on the new Blu-Ray, but all three folders have a last modified date of 12/15/2016, so yeah they modified the Blu-Ray disc after they discovered we knew that it was on there originally.

Welp... Semper Fi. Almost justifies the money I spent on the whole big box.

PM me with ambiguous questions about the missing content.

Thanks Ryan. I was waiting on confirmation prior to placing an order. (No order from me now).

Thanks for doing the detective work. How did you find out the modified date?

Bummer indeed. So why don't they just release a stand alone BD~A 5.1 of Meddle without all the necessary secret decoding hoopla and I'm sure it would sell well in the thousands. The master/authoring is already done so why NOT? And it would be nice to have the original artwork and liner notes which even buyers who own the deluxe early years are not privy to.

Last edited:
I don't have a Blu-ray drive attached to my computer so I could only check the file dates on the DVD which were all 1216. As the surround versions of Echoes and Meddle were the only reason for buying this set it's a major disappointment. I guess I will have to wait for the Meddle files to turn up on the Dark Side of the Web. :(

I don't have a Blu-ray drive attached to my computer so I could only check the file dates on the DVD which were all 1216. As the surround versions of Echoes and Meddle were the only reason for buying this set it's a major disappointment. I guess I will have to wait for the Meddle files to turn up on the Dark Side of the Web. :(
There's no dark side of the Web really. As a matter of fact it's all dark :)

Easy. I put the Blu-Ray into my Sony VAIO laptop, right clicked open on the disc, and it showed the me the disc's folder structure.
All folders had a last modified date of 12/16/2016.

:)

Easy. I put the Blu-Ray into my Sony VAIO laptop, right clicked open on the disc, and it showed the me the disc's folder structure.
All folders had a last modified date of 12/16/2016.

:)

I didn't realise your copy had arrived with you! I've been having an enjoyable Pink Floyd morning. After listening to some of the stuff from the Deviation and Reverberation cds, I've listened to the Echoes and Atom Heart Mother quad mixes. Echoes mix is good, and AHM is even better.

Bummer indeed. So why don't they just release a stand alone BD~A 5.1 of Meddle without all the necessary secret decoding hoopla and I'm sure it would sell well in the thousands. The master/authoring is already done so why NOT? And it would be nice to have the original artwork and liner notes which even buyers own the deluxe early years are not privy to.

Because only two out of the three surviving members of Pink Floyd signed off on its release and inclusion in the "Early Years" sets.
That's why it was 'officially' pulled from the contents.

Bummer...
Why am I even thinking this way...

I could buy the box set on Amazon UK for $391 shipped. That is a LOT of money....but I've been down this road. I feel I'm getting weak....so weak...it's in my cart...staring at me, taunting me. :violin

I'm sure Clint would encourage you to spend, spend, spend! Has anyone heard from him?

Bummer...
Why am I even thinking this way...

I could buy the box set on Amazon UK for $391 shipped. That is a LOT of money....but I've been down this road. I feel I'm getting weak....so weak...it's in my cart...staring at me, taunting me. :violin

Back