Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm angry the original advertising said it had Obscured By Colours in 5.1 plus Meddle.
Only Echoes is in 5.1 it seems, nothing else.

I'm angry the original advertising said it had Obscured By Colours in 5.1 plus Meddle.
Only Echoes is in 5.1 it seems, nothing else.

Have to agree, its a bit disappointing if that's the case..
from the looks of it, the set has;
- AHM Quad,
- Echoes Quad,
- Pompeii 5.1..
right?

If that's the case I might have to cancel tbh I'm not sure I can justify the outlay without those two albums complete in 5.1

Like others have mentioned, Amazon UK is currently the cheapest way to go, bringing the price including shipping to a little over $400 (for those of us in the USA anyway.) However, the Brain Damage site cautions that:

As yet we don't know if there is region coding on the Blu-ray and/or DVD discs, so if purchasing from a different region (e.g. you're in North America, buying from Europe, or vice versa), please be cautious.

Does anyone have any idea if region coding, etc won't be an issue?

If they had the original reels of "Obscured by Clouds" sitting there and threaded up, and brought up on the faders for the new stereo mix, I can't imagine that they did not split that mix up into at least 4.1 channels, and run off a nice surround mix in 24/192 for the Floyd vaults while they were at it.

It's easy to imagine at the time they they were not sure if they would include this new mix or not, but I cannot imagine an additional surround mix was not done at all. And a nice standalone release could be coming much later.

There is not a bottomless pit of stuff to release, and I am sure that they would like to have things coming in the next 10 years that are interesting. They are holding back some things for later.

Since there was no original quad mix, creating one is much more involved than you seem to make it out to be.

Since there was no original quad mix, creating one is much more involved than you seem to make it out to be.

You're missing the point here, himey.
What quicksrt is saying is that if they went through all of the trouble of finding and transferring to digital the original multi-track tapes for "Obscured by Clouds" to create this new 2016 stereo mix, then they could have easily created a surround mix as well to include in this new edition.
Why they didn't is beyond comprehension, but maybe Andy Jackson knows.

You're missing the point here, himey.
What quicksrt is saying is that if they went through all of the trouble of finding and transferring to digital the original multi-track tapes for "Obscured by Clouds" to create this new 2016 stereo mix, then they could have easily created a surround mix as well to include in this new edition.
Why they didn't is beyond comprehension, but maybe Andy Jackson knows.

Has anyone directed Andy over to this thread yet? I don't think I've seen him on here...

Has anyone directed Andy over to this thread yet? I don't think I've seen him on here...

I made this question already to him in Andy's thread and he replied saying that there are things he cannot comment about yet...

I think we could have a little more respect for Andy's position and wait until the set has been released to ask more questions. It's a very delicate position for him to be in and I can appreciate his reluctance to comment further than he has already. I think we should be thankful for the information he has already provided us with.

I know many people will be mad at me for saying this, but I've seen so many amazing "guests" over at sh.tv been burned never to come back, that I'd hate for this to happen here.

BTW Burning Shed have updated their Product Description to say this:
An extraordinary 27 disc box set chronicling the early years of the mighty Pink Floyd containing 11 plus hours audio (130 plus tracks) and 14 plus hours audio-visual material including:

* 6 'year' volumes, plus an exclusive Extras package across 27 discs

* Over 20 unreleased songs including 1967's Vegetable Man and In the Beechwoods

* Atom Heart Mother Quad Mix / Live At Pompeii 5.1 mix / 3 feature films

* BBC Sessions / TV appearances /live footage / Demos

* 5 replica 7" singles / exclusive memorabilia box

* All visual content NTSC Region 0

Price includes free UK shipping by courier.

EC/Rest of World shipping is by courier.

Pre-order for November 11th release.

So that's definitely another nail in the coffin when it comes to the original (erroneous) product description listing new 5.1 mixes for "Meddle" and "Obscured by Clouds"

This is amazing. I do wonder though what ever happened to the original tapes for the live set(s) that ended up on Electric Moo...?

I think we could have a little more respect for Andy's position and wait until the set has been released to ask more questions. It's a very delicate position for him to be in and I can appreciate his reluctance to comment further than he has already. I think we should be thankful for the information he has already provided us with.

I know many people will be mad at me for saying this, but I've seen so many amazing "guests" over at sh.tv been burned never to come back, that I'd hate for this to happen here.

You don't think I understand all of that? All I actually meant was, has anyone pointed out this thread to him. He can participate whenever he wants to or is able to...

You don't think I understand all of that? All I actually meant was, has anyone pointed out this thread to him. He can participate whenever he wants to or is able to...

Forgive me if my comment was perceived as being directed at you, it was not. I was simply reflecting on the many questions he has been asked in the last thirty or so hours. You can see by his replies that he was not comfortable with discussing the details of an unreleased project.

Forgive me if my comment was perceived as being directed at you, it was not. I was simply reflecting on the many questions he has been asked in the last thirty or so hours. You can see by his replies that he was not comfortable with discussing the details of an unreleased project.

Understood, Simon. It did seem like your comment was brought on by my post, so I felt the need to clarify my position. Probably the main reason for what I wrote is that a bunch of the posts on the other thread are about the topic on this thread, and not The Division Bell. As far as asking him questions about this release, you won't see me asking a bunch. So far, I've asked him about DTS playback on the DVDs, because he indicated that he had made the call on that with TDB DVD. Thanks -

Back