Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we could have a little more respect for Andy's position and wait until the set has been released to ask more questions. It's a very delicate position for him to be in and I can appreciate his reluctance to comment further than he has already. I think we should be thankful for the information he has already provided us with.

I know many people will be mad at me for saying this, but I've seen so many amazing "guests" over at sh.tv been burned never to come back, that I'd hate for this to happen here.

It'll be too late once its released, Simon.. too late to petition for the inclusion of the 5.1's of Meddle & Obscured By Clouds as mentioned previously, that is! :D
On a more serious note, blathering on at the record label's worked before (and looks like its working for the Alan Parsons Project kickstarter crowdfunding thing right now!)

It'll be too late once its released, Simon.. too late to petition for the inclusion of the 5.1's of Meddle & Obscured By Clouds as mentioned previously, that is! :D
On a more serious note, blathering on at the record label's worked before (and looks like its working for the Alan Parsons Project kickstarter crowdfunding thing right now!)

Oh, don't get me wrong, everybody is more than welcomed to write to the record company or the band's management and make suggestions, I'm all for that.

The Alan Parsons example is perfect. All the inquiries, suggestions and requests may be made directly on the project's web page. The same can be done with future Pink Floyd projects by getting in touch with to the record company or the band's management.

I'm one who prefers avoiding unpleasant situations before they occur. Because of that, I often seem like a boy scout, but I saw what happened with Ken Scott, Bruce Johnston, Andrew Sandoval, Ron Furmarek and many other special guests whom were driven to leave and never come back. It's quite a shame actually as they we're very nice and patient when asked a bunch of questions. It's actually also the very same reason why Steve Hoffman has almost stopped talking about his own mastering projects.

I'd love for Andy to hang out with us for years to come and I'm sure I'm not the only once to think so.

The Facebook page for brain-damage.co.uk confirmed that the Blu-rays contained in the box are not region locked or coded, so it'll be okay for Americans to order from places like Burningshed and Amazon.co.uk

Have to agree, its a bit disappointing if that's the case..
from the looks of it, the set has;
- AHM Quad,
- Echoes Quad,
- Pompeii 5.1..
right?

If that's the case I might have to cancel tbh I'm not sure I can justify the outlay without those two albums complete in 5.1

I'm with you on that, Adam. To me, PF's early years encompasses Meddle, Electric Moo, A Saucerful of Secrets, Live at Pompeii, Obscured by Clouds, Atom Heart Mother and More. At the very least, it would be wiser, IMO, to include 192/24 stereo remixes and Penteo upmixes of those albums missing the multitracks also in 192/24.

For those who just want the QUAD/5.1 content, best of luck wading through 27 discs....which might be fine for ultra rabid PF completists but not for those, like myself, who just want the meat without all the gristle.

I'm with you on that, Adam. To me, PF's early years encompasses Meddle, Electric Moo, A Saucerful of Secrets, Live at Pompeii, Obscured by Clouds, Atom Heart Mother and More. At the very least, it would be wiser, IMO, to include 192/24 stereo remixes and Penteo upmixes of those albums missing the multitracks also in 192/24.

That makes no sense whatsoever.
You cannot remix anything in any configuration (stereo, surround, etc.) without having the original multitrack tapes.

That makes no sense whatsoever.
You cannot remix anything in any configuration (stereo, surround, etc.) without having the original multitrack tapes.

You're correct, Ryan....I shouldn't used the word remixes but as far as Penteo remixes are concerned, Steve Wilson did an admirable Penteo remix of Steve Hackett's DEFECTOR w/o the multis. It can be done.

You're correct, Ryan....I shouldn't used the word remixes but as far as Penteo remixes are concerned, Steve Wilson did an admirable Penteo remix of Steve Hackett's DEFECTOR w/o the multis. It can be done.

Technically Penteo upmixes are not remixes because it's still using the same mix.
As for the quality of Penteo upmixes, opinions vary but I won't share my opinions on them here and derail this thread.

- AHM Quad,
- Echoes Quad,
- Pompeii 5.1..
right?

If that's the case I might have to cancel tbh I'm not sure I can justify the outlay without those two albums complete in 5.1

Re your "if that's the case"

I have noticed some discrepancies on the lists provided on the "pdf", superdeluxe, etc. And on the Pink Floyd, com thread where a number of posters still think that OBC and Meddle are presented in 5.1 ???

Some of those lists have variances of a sort, so I'm considering there are inaccuracies to be eliminated or additions to be included.

I also wonder about the format presentation of the 3 films, The Committee, La Vallee,and More. La Valee or Obscured By Clouds may be the 5.1 in question.?

Anyway these are puzzling items I cannot outright dismiss. But I suppose there is still lots of time for this to be clarified, it's still early-the announcement -initially I think.

Troubling is the absence of the entire tracks from both Meddle and Electric Moo ? and that there is a total remix of OBC ?? (Stereo ??)

Well time will tell, I suppose.:rolleyes::confused:

This is amazing. I do wonder though what ever happened to the original tapes for the live set(s) that ended up on Electric Moo...?

Someone told me on Hoffman forum that the tapes were in terrible condition, does not surprise me sadly

POST #500 !!!

- AHM Quad,
- Echoes Quad,
- Pompeii 5.1..
right?

I'm hoping there will be a correction, however it may be possible that the multi track tapes to Meddle were lost or damaged, I'm very surprised Pompeii was mixed in 5.1 as they were supposed to be lost in France many years ago according to Director Adrian Maben.
I still hope Obscured By Colours will also be in 5.1 as they did remix it in 2.0
Why not 5.1 as well. The box is $600 !

It's actually also the very same reason why Steve Hoffman has almost stopped talking about his own mastering projects.

I don't trust Hoffman. There's been a huge amount of censorship on his site, including times when his work (or even his attitude to other peoples') has been questioned. Two guys from MoFi were banned from the site. A google search will provide you with more informaiton.

Arguably you can with demixing software to effectively produce a new multi.

Whoa!!!
Echoes 4.0 ORIGINAL QUAD MIX!!!!

It's basically the only thing I see that I'm interested in...that and the "Live at Pompeii" 5.1 mix, but, since Andy mentioned something regarding the mix not being discrete...I'll stick to my LD...

Stick it to the man!

Floyd aside, if we were to boycott artists because they're filthy stinking rich enough already, we wouldn't have anything by this lot, for starters:
Genesis,
Sting,
Police,
Elton,
Phil Collins,
Queen,
Jeff Beck,
Beatles/Macca,
Rolling Stones,
The Who,
Led Zeppelin,
Eric Clapton,
Rod Stewart,
Eagles,
Fleetwood Mac... etc..

I am partially jesting, although I think everyone should boycott Sting. What a plonker.

Paying for 27 discs just to get a couple of surround mixes is madness, I tell thee.

Of course the whole thing is totally daft.. but "they've" got us by the balls and they know it.. at least in this instance we've got a choice in that individual releases are in the offing for next year.. the more I mull it all over, I think I'll probably hold out for those tbh, I only want the surround from this set, I'm not fussed about replica 7-inchers and all that although I can see it would be of merit to some fans & collectors maybe and I'm chuffed for them.

Most of these rock stars come across as rather twattish.. and everytime one of them starts spouting on about world poverty and the like I want to punch them in the chops.. mind you, if I'd come up with the kind of songs half of that lot have written I'd probably be a smug out of touch tosspot (rather than a music lover with a voracious appetite who is perpetually broke because they spend all their hard-earned on overpriced product from the likes of those very artistes! Oh its a cycle as vicious as Wagner's ringpiece after a particularly rough ride of the valkyries, so it is.. to be sure..! :eek: )

I was banned for saying Bono is a fraud.

I'd give you a medal..! (or a Meddle.. or a badge or whatever it is you get on forums for achievements! :D )

So.. there's speculative chat over at the SHF along the lines of the Meddle and Obscured By Clouds 5.1's appearing down the line on standalone releases from Analogue Productions.. place your bets folks! ;)

Getting this back on topic a little, I'm encouraged by the fact that none of the albums bar the new mix of Obscured by Clouds are on CD here. It could very well mean that in the future, possible editions of Atom Heart Mother and Meddle with new stereo and hopefully 5.1 mixes.

At this point I am most interested in the restoration process with some of these videos, and what elements were in play to enhance both picture and sound. The clip of the KQED concert sounds mono to me but hopefully that's not the case, either way it sounds good.

Whoa!!!
Echoes 4.0 ORIGINAL QUAD MIX!!!!

It's basically the only thing I see that I'm interested in...that and the "Live at Pompeii" 5.1 mix, but, since Andy mentioned something regarding the mix not being discrete...I'll stick to my LD...

How does the LD of Pompaii compare the version going around from the movie reels? Is the LD 4.0 DTS? The mix on the "internet" version is pretty good, I especially like the drums in the rears on One of These Days just before the spoken line. If the new 5.1 version keeps that sequence intact and the rest of it is even more discrete, we may end up getting a version even better than "pretty good"...

How does the LD of Pompaii compare the version going around from the movie reels? Is the LD 4.0 DTS? The mix on the "internet" version is pretty good, I especially like the drums in the rears on One of These Days just before the spoken line. If the new 5.1 version keeps that sequence intact and the rest of it is even more discrete, we may end up getting a version even better than "pretty good"...

Well, Andy never said it's not a discrete mix, he just said we should not expect any bombastic mix. He gave further details and explained it's a u-shaped mix, with David on the left, Rick on the right and voices all around if I remember correctly

Back