Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course the whole thing is totally daft.. but "they've" got us by the balls and they know it.. at least in this instance we've got a choice in that individual releases are in the offing for next year.. the more I mull it all over, I think I'll probably hold out for those tbh, I only want the surround from this set, I'm not fussed about replica 7-inchers and all that although I can see it would be of merit to some fans & collectors maybe and I'm chuffed for them.

Most of these rock stars come across as rather twattish.. and everytime one of them starts spouting on about world poverty and the like I want to punch them in the chops.. mind you, if I'd come up with the kind of songs half of that lot have written I'd probably be a smug out of touch tosspot (rather than a music lover with a voracious appetite who is perpetually broke because they spend all their hard-earned on overpriced product from the likes of those very artistes! Oh its a cycle as vicious as Wagner's ringpiece after a particularly rough ride of the valkyries, so it is.. to be sure..! :eek: )

I guess to an extent we are partially to blame for some high cost boxes from Iconic artists such as Floyd.

For how many years now, how many posts have we not all begged for more quad and surround from these particular artists, and now here they are, for all of us voracious quad fans.
So true of me for these quad must haves.

humbly your decades long quad collector,

Fizzy (guilty) wiggs:slap:

Well, Andy never said it's not a discrete mix, he just said we should not expect any bombastic mix. He gave further details and explained it's a u-shaped mix, with David on the left, Rick on the right and voices all around if I remember correctly

I should know this by now but...is the "new" 5.1 mix of Pompaii, old and not newly done for this set? For some reason I anticipated a new Andy Jackson 5.1 mix from the origional master tapes. ...or is he saying HIS new mix isn't "bombastic?" If he didn't do this mix then what did he do, and why does he need to remain silent? If none of the mixing he did recently made it to this set, that would lead me to hope that maybe he did do new mixes of OBC and Meddle and somehow they were left out of this set and are for future releases.

I should know this by now but...is the "new" 5.1 mix of Pompaii, old and not newly done for this set? For some reason I anticipated a new Andy Jackson 5.1 mix from the origional master tapes. ...or is he saying HIS new mix isn't "bombastic?" If he didn't do this mix then what did he do, and why does he need to remain silent? If none of the mixing he did recently made it to this set, that would lead me to hope that maybe he did do new mixes of OBC and Meddle and somehow they were left out of this set and are for future releases.

Newly done set, I understand. Andy has said what he's allowed to, so we must wait for further details in the future

Newly done set, I understand. Andy has said what he's allowed to, so we must wait for further details in the future

Your not very specific. So you don't really know if the 5.1 Pompaii mix is a new one by Andy Jackson?

Your not very specific. So you don't really know if the 5.1 Pompaii mix is a new one by Andy Jackson?

Check out Andy's answer in his thread. I'd say he's the one he did the remix, but from his feedback I cannon be 100% sure (though I'd bet he did it)

Check out Andy's answer in his thread. I'd say he's the one he did the remix, but from his feedback I cannon be 100% sure (though I'd bet he did it)

Cool, thanks. I did see that but it is a bit confusing. Time will tell...

I was banned for saying Bono is a fraud.

Congratulations! I caught someone on an invisible log in (I assumed it was him) deleting my posts on a Ram remaster thread. The posts were responses to someone making over positive claims about Hoffman's attitude to remastering work that wasn't his that I refuted. I reposted while they were being deleted, then posted a message to the person who was cutting the posts as they were making further deletions. I've said it before: there's a terrible signal to noise ratio at that site.

Congratulations! I caught someone on an invisible log in (I assumed it was him) deleting my posts on a Ram remaster thread. The posts were responses to someone making over positive claims about Hoffman's attitude to remastering work that wasn't his that I refuted. I reposted while they were being deleted, then posted a message to the person who was cutting the posts as they were making further deletions. I've said it before: there's a terrible signal to noise ratio at that site.

"I'm The Invisible (Hoff)Man..
I'm The Invisible (Hoff)Man..
Incredible how you can..
See right through me.." :D

[video=youtube;zKdxd718WXg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKdxd718WXg[/video]

Getting this back on topic a little, I'm encouraged by the fact that none of the albums bar the new mix of Obscured by Clouds are on CD here. It could very well mean that in the future, possible editions of Atom Heart Mother and Meddle with new stereo and hopefully 5.1 mixes.

At this point I am most interested in the restoration process with some of these videos, and what elements were in play to enhance both picture and sound. The clip of the KQED concert sounds mono to me but hopefully that's not the case, either way it sounds good.

KQED is mono. It's a Public TV broadcast from 1970. Mono all the way. I have this on DVD boot.

In response to some posts speculating there might be more individual (expanded) releases from this part of Pink Floyd's career (besides the individual releases of these yearly volumes contained in the box) I disagree.
This release appears to be a completely emptying of the vaults from this period, and these 'volumes' are essentially Immersion sets without the proper album included (the exception being "Obscured by Clouds" with its new stereo mix.)
The only possible releases I could see in the future after these individual volumes are released would be a Super Deluxe Edition box set for "Animals" and that long-awaited 5.1 surround mix of "The Wall" (whenever it's finally finished for release in the year 2029…) ;)

I'm hoping there will be a correction, however it may be possible that the multi track tapes to Meddle were lost or damaged, I'm very surprised Pompeii was mixed in 5.1 as they were supposed to be lost in France many years ago according to Director Adrian Maben.

The multitracks were not destroyed when the unused film footage was junked in the early 80's. Maben took the multitrack tapes to make a quad remix Live in Pompeii back in 1974 or something, and later gave the tapes to Roger Waters.

I will not be getting this. As much as some of the content seems promising, the price tag and no option to just get the surround mixes are putting me off.
I was glad when they re-released Aqualung without it being a boxed set. I thought they get it! People don't want to shell out $150 for a surround mix, 'cos they probably already own either a vinyl or a cd of it anyway! So a more budget oriented issue was welcome
In this case, everything has been available for years for free on yeeshkul and harvested weeds. These bootlegs are ok quality and I'm pretty sure the versions here won't be such an improvement.
So for a surround mix of Echoes, that was probably shelved for a good reason, there is very little incentive to get this!

I will not be getting this. As much as some of the content seems promising, the price tag and no option to just get the surround mixes are putting me off.
I was glad when they re-released Aqualung without it being a boxed set. I thought they get it! People don't want to shell out $150 for a surround mix, 'cos they probably already own either a vinyl or a cd of it anyway! So a more budget oriented issue was welcome
In this case, everything has been available for years for free on yeeshkul and harvested weeds. These bootlegs are ok quality and I'm pretty sure the versions here won't be such an improvement.
So for a surround mix of Echoes, that was probably shelved for a good reason, there is very little incentive to get this!

Once you realize that they are putting together these releases not for surround sound fans but for hardcore fans of the band and their music who want anything and everything associated with them, then you can start to see how and why they put these releases together.
Plus, in case you didn't see this earlier in this thread, they will release each yearly volume of this set individually early next year, so instead of having to pay hundreds of dollars for everything, you can pay one or two hundred dollars (or less maybe) for just the volumes you want. :)

I won't be holding my breath for the standalones. 'Tho I would certainly get Atom Heart Mother, if the price tag is reasonable.

I won't be holding my breath for the standalones. 'Tho I would certainly get Atom Heart Mother, if the price tag is reasonable.

The individual releases would be smaller box sets not based around certain albums but based around certain years, just as they are broken down in this gigantic 27 disc box set.
So the 1970 volume (which contains the Quad mix for "Atom Heart Mother") will still be a 5-disc set when released individually next year, so it will still probably be expensive, but it will definitely be a lot cheaper compared to the price of the entire 27-disc box set.
The 1971 and 1972 volumes (which contain the "Echoes" Quad mix and the new Pompeii 5.1 mix respectively) will probably be cheaper since they will only contain 3 discs each, but we'll just have to wait and see exactly how much they are when they go on sale sometime during the early part of next year.

:)

Seriously I'm hoping the big box will become a collectors item in 20+ years when my kids inherit all my music.
If they do as well as vinyl has done.
I consider it as a small investment as long as it's looked after.

Seriously I'm hoping the big box will become a collectors item in 20+ years when my kids inherit all my music.
If they do as well as vinyl has done.
I consider it as a small investment as long as it's looked after.

Yeah - I'm trying to fight off the urge of thinking that way and sticking with purchasing what makes sense to me in my audio lifetime. This one is for sure falling out of grace with me a bit... :(

Back