Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some dismay going on at the Hoffman board where it's been concluded that the 1967 BBC Radio sessions on the bonus disc will be of inferior quality despite the fact that a high grade source exists and the Floyd team were possibly alerted to it. It's a great shame and rather annoying if all that is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some dismay going on at the Hoffman board where it's been concluded that the 1967 BBC Radio sessions on the bonus disc will be of inferior quality despite the fact that a high grade source exists and the Floyd team were possibly alerted to it. It's a great shame and rather annoying if all that is correct.

Serious question - how do we know that's true? Who is making the claim?

When they released the BBC 1974 shows officially, I liked what they did with it. I trust that there will similar attention to quality in this set.

Serious question - how do we know that's true? Who is making the claim?

When they released the BBC 1974 shows officially, I liked what they did with it. I trust that there will similar attention to quality in this set.

The problem with the BBC Concerts may be with their own ridiculous policy at that time.

They did not archive a lot of their Concert broadcasts. Instead they (and don't get too upset like me) recycled their tapes.They erased many concert broadcasts so they could re-use the tape for further projects.
Absolutely assinine of course, when you consider the major acts they recorded and such iconic works by likewise music icons.

Someone (at the BBC) eventually realized the idiocy of this practice, but a little late as it was not until the late 80's/90's a call was put out to listeners, an appeal to try and recoup some of the BBC Concerts from private listener's collections.

Some of the BBC archive stuff (I can't speak for Floyd, as I don't know) gets rescued from transcription disks.

The problem with the BBC Concerts may be with their own ridiculous policy at that time.

They did not archive a lot of their Concert broadcasts. Instead they (and don't get too upset like me) recycled their tapes.They erased many concert broadcasts so they could re-use the tape for further projects.
Absolutely assinine of course, when you consider the major acts they recorded and such iconic works by likewise music icons.

Someone (at the BBC) eventually realized the idiocy of this practice, but a little late as it was not until the late 80's/90's a call was put out to listeners, an appeal to try and recoup some of the BBC Concerts from private listener's collections.

The BBC didn't just do this with audio. The erased lots of TV shows too. There are dozens of episodes of Doctor Who and many other classic programs that are lost forever.

:(

The BBC didn't just do this with audio. The erased lots of TV shows too. There are dozens of episodes of Doctor Who and many other classic programs that are lost forever.

:(

But the people who made those decisions in those days did not think that children's programmes or 'pop music' performances were worth preserving or would have any historical value 50 years later.

That can be the way there. You can get hugely erroneous information there, but people still insist they have a source.

Atom Heart Mother, Meddle and Obscured by Clouds are coming out on vinyl on the new Pink Floyd Records imprint. Nothing said about if the OBC vinyl uses the new 2016 mix, which would make sense.

That can be the way there. You can get hugely erroneous information there, but people still insist they have a source.

Sometimes yes but I think there is too much detail here for that to be the case on this occasion:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/pink-floyd-the-early-years-1965-1972.570280/page-128

So, it would seem there are some excellent sounding tapes of the 1967 BBC sessions which are available but which we're not going to get on this phenomenally expensive box set.

Bummer!

Sometimes yes but I think there is too much detail here for that to be the case on this occasion:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/pink-floyd-the-early-years-1965-1972.570280/page-128

So, it would seem there are some excellent sounding tapes of the 1967 BBC sessions which are available but which we're not going to get on this phenomenally expensive box set.

Bummer!

It really does not matter what some person states is a better BBC recording .Unless the band or engineer has it to utilize.....the claim is moot.

The fact that we will be getting the BEST of THE BEST of THE BBC , in a Hi Rez format issued by PINK FLOYD no less is a credit to the artists and all involved !
It really doesn't get much better than that.

I ordered this box the minute it was on Amazon uk.
I was disappointed they changed the surround discs being offered.
My opinion with these mega box sets is if your going to put out such a comprehensive box and charge such a big price they should 'fully' cater for all tastes. Good booklets, CDs of rare music, videos, high res audio and finally some good surround music.
I can't say too much negatives yet as I don't own it yet but I feel the Obscured 5.1 mix would have given this box a better comprehensive collection of pink Floyd for 'all' fans & collectors.

My opinion with these mega box sets is if your going to put out such a comprehensive box and charge such a big price they should 'fully' cater for all tastes. Good booklets, CDs of rare music, videos, high res audio and finally some good surround music.
I can't say too much negatives yet as I don't own it yet but I feel the Obscured 5.1 mix would have given this box a better comprehensive collection of pink Floyd for 'all' fans & collectors.

I feel the same way. I pre-ordered based on the original/leaked information on the surround content. I was willing to pay the price for what was initially a bounty of surround. I saw the other material as a bonus. I already have the quad AHM and the quad Pompeii, so there seems little reason to buy this. Unless some miracle happens and the dropped discs reappear, I will cancel the order and hope for standalone releases down the road.

It really does not matter what some person states is a better BBC recording .Unless the band or engineer has it to utilize.....the claim is moot.

The fact that we will be getting the BEST of THE BEST of THE BBC , in a Hi Rez format issued by PINK FLOYD no less is a credit to the artists and all involved !
It really doesn't get much better than that.

We won't be getting the "best of the best of the BBC" despite the fact that it was available - that's the problem!

Hi Rez? Where does it say anything about Hi Rez? Do you have information that no one else has?

There is no evidence that the surround music that is missing even exists.

Those surround discs were never "offered".

I feel the same way. I pre-ordered based on the original/leaked information on the surround content. I was willing to pay the price for what was initially a bounty of surround. I saw the other material as a bonus. I already have the quad AHM and the quad Pompeii, so there seems little reason to buy this. Unless some miracle happens and the dropped discs reappear, I will cancel the order and hope for standalone releases down the road.

Apparently that was a leak of a mistake.

IE, someone in the PR company promoting the set prepared some incorrect information that was never supposed to get out anyway.

The dropped discs probably don't actually exist.

It's difficult to complain if one purchases on the basis of what was, in effect, a rumour.

It won't stand up in court!

Apparently that was a leak of a mistake.

IE, someone in the PR company promoting the set prepared some incorrect information that was never supposed to get out anyway.

The dropped discs probably don't actually exist.

It's difficult to complain if one purchases on the basis of what was, in effect, a rumour.

It won't stand up in court!

Well, all I can say regardless of the original press release, more surround music included would definitely boost the sales and interest in the big box for sure.

It seems ridiculous to think that those responsible for writing the original release would randomly or inventively tack on a statement indicating OBC in 5.1 would be included. If it didn't exist or wasn't planned for, who would have planted the seed in the press writer's head in the first place.

Writer sitting at a desk: "Hmmmm, Pink Floyd Corporation is paying me to prep a release about a comprehensive early years release with no details..... I dont know for sure but I am going to guess that they will purpose make a 5.1 of an album known to not have have a surround mix." "I am so positive that I am not going to have to confirm any of this before hand."

If there were other things that were erroneously reported on the original release that were subsequently taken away, I may buy into it. However, it looks like only the items based in surround were redacted or clarified. To me that sounds like they exist but got cold feet.

It looks like only the items based in surround were redacted or clarified. To me that sounds like they exist but got cold feet.

I like your logic, and I hope it is true. Even though it is frustrating if a 5.1 OBC was taken off the table, if it DOES exist, that means we probably do get it some day. To me that is a better outcome than no, never. I have lots to listen to in the mean time.

Back