Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't cancel my order because I thought I'd be bored. I just couldn't honestly bring myself to spend that kind of money. I am pretty sure it's an amazing box set....and I'd be giddy to have it. But, for the price? No. I need a new laptop and a new TV for my bedroom more that this. UGH...
Cancelled my pre order too. Lets see how the pricing will develo, also when the individual sets will be released. Would be surprised when they sell for more than €40,00 a set.

According to the Pink Floyd facebook page an extra disc is included, wait for it, no surround :)

Pink Floyd fans ordering 'The Early Years 1965-1972’ will get an extra piece of the band’s history. The box-set will now also include a supplementary disc featuring the band’s seminal Live At Pompeii concert as a 2016 audio mix. The 6 tracks totaling over 67 minutes include live versions of 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene', 'Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun', 'One of These Days', 'A Saucerful Of Secrets', ‘Echoes' and an alternative take of 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene’.
Live at Pompeii has never been available as an audio only CD so this is a real first for fans.

Well I have just a few days left to decide whether to cancel my Amazon UK preorder. To the US it will be around $408 depending on the amazon exchange rate later this week. Totally betwixt and between.

Is this box going to be a limited run? Do we know for certain that the individual subsets will be available for sale?

Well I have just a few days left to decide whether to cancel my Amazon UK preorder. To the US it will be around $400 depending on the exchange rate later this week. Totally betwixt and between.

Is this box going to be a limited run? Do we know for certain that the individual subsets will be available for sale?

In my opinion, nothing is FOR CERTAIN. But, I cancelled mine and hoping for individual releases. If it doesn't happen..well. Oh well. :)

I believe we have been told that the box set has some exclusives:
That being the Continu/Ation part of the package,
It looks like the Pompeii CD recently added and described as 'a supplementary disc featuring the band’s seminal Live At Pompeii concert as a 2016 audio mix'

All the other content is to be released during the course of the coming year as individual sets

I believe we have been told that the box set has some exclusives:
That being the Continu/Ation part of the package,
It looks like the Pompeii CD recently added and described as 'a supplementary disc featuring the band’s seminal Live At Pompeii concert as a 2016 audio mix'

All the other content is to be released during the course of the coming year as individual sets

Yes, I'm hearing from people that have the box that the OBC remix has been replaced by a new Pompeii mix (all 2.0 of course)

Yes, I'm hearing from people that have the box that the OBC remix has been replaced by a new Pompeii mix (all 2.0 of course)
You need to have your hearing checked. :D
There isn't any replacement....it's an addition. I can't share the story here but trust me on this... 28 discs!

Definitely going to catch this release on the late show after prices go down. (You know what happens when you assume... but that's what I'm doing!)

So... I guess this 2.0 tease means the future full release (if it ever happens) for Pompeii will include not only Mademoiselle Nobs but an alternate take of CWTAE? That would be wonderful!

Everything about this set reads like this will ultimately become a 'retrospective' collection after time. All the strategic omissions to save for 'full releases' down the road. (Which at the same time is speculation and feels like wishful thinking. And just smells of greed.)

The thing I'm most worried about in this set is the track listings that make it look for all the world that some of the unique content listed for the CD's is not included in HD on the blurays. If that turns out to be the case I might have to actually pass on this regardless of how bad I want that cleaner copy of the quad mix of AHM (or the price falls to what I'd pay for just the blurays).

Prepare yourselves for a possible disappointment. Seabirds may not be the Seabirds you expected, or even the right track. This comes from a friend based in Europe who is in the music business. A non-downloadable stream was sent for review in advance of the box. He told me that Seabirds was an instrumental like Quicksilver and not the lyric-based song we all expected. The only thing we can hope for is that someone screwed up the rip or mislabeled the tracks somehow.

You need to have your hearing checked. :D
There isn't any replacement....it's an addition. I can't share the story here but trust me on this... 28 discs!

I'll relay that to the interested and apparently misinformed parties. So, there really is a 2channel OBC remix in the set? (but not a 5.1)

I'll relay that to the interested and apparently misinformed parties. So, there really is a 2channel OBC remix in the set? (but not a 5.1)

Yes. It seems that the Pompeii CD was originally planned for the box as reports are coming in that it's included in the artwork. I guess the manufacturers never changed this when the Pompeii disc was swapped for the new OBC remix. So it seems that the mistaken artwork forced their hand to include this bonus disc of Pompeii.

Winner winner Pompeii dinner!!! (y)

Yes. It seems that the Pompeii CD was originally planned for the box as reports are coming in that it's included in the artwork. I guess the manufacturers never changed this when the Pompeii disc was swapped for the new OBC remix. So it seems that the mistaken artwork forced their hand to include this bonus disc of Pompeii.

Winner winner Pompeii dinner!!! (y)

Just to be clear, by'when Pompeii was swapped for the new OBC remix' , you mean the 5.1 OBC mix,right? That's gone, but the *2.0* OBC remix is still included?

Just to be clear, by'when Pompeii was swapped for the new OBC remix' , you mean the 5.1 OBC mix,right? That's gone, but the *2.0* OBC remix is still included?

Not quite. Pompeii CD appears to have been originally swapped for the new stereo mix of OBC which was not intended to be included I guess. So OBC 2.0 was added and advertised but the manufacturers must have not made those changes.

Not quite. Pompeii CD appears to have been originally swapped for the new stereo mix of OBC which was not intended to be included I guess. So OBC 2.0 was added and advertised but the manufacturers must have not made those changes.

Ha, ok, but I'm just trying to get a straight answer : does the set as sold now contain a 2.0 remix of OBC?

Ha, ok, but I'm just trying to get a straight answer : does the set as sold now contain a 2.0 remix of OBC?

Yes. All 27 discs as advertised (with OBC 2.0) plus the Pompeii CD as a bonus disc. 28 discs in all. It wouldn't make sense to pull OBC 2.0 since the tracks are available on the CRE/ATION CD.

And just confirmed on SHF by Stephen Thomas Erlewine -

De-lurking to say that the finished product does indeed mirror the review stream, so the track labelled "Seabirds" is an instrumental, not the song heard in More. The 1972 volume has Live At Pompeii but in the booklet the CD is listed as the 2016 mix of Obscured By Clouds. The disc in the paper sleeve is Obscured By Clouds. Not sure what the largest insert is--there's a special packet that I haven't opened yet--but the replicas in each of the seven volumes are quite nicely done.

Pink Floyd’s The Early Years: 1965-1972 review: Massive new box a must-listen for fans
http://www.torontosun.com/2016/11/0...review-massive-new-box-a-must-listen-for-fans
BUT WAIT, THERE’S MORE: Don’t want to blow most of a month’s rent for the box? The first six volumes will reportedly be available separately in 2017. Meanwhile, dip your toe in the waters with Cre/ation: The Early Years 1967–1972, a two-disc comp of 27 highlights.

Back