Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I jumped to the Continuation CD, which was the bonus set only in this box.

Echoes was good, recording sounds as good as the DSOTM live set. glad to have it.

Moonhead i'm happy to have. Not as high quality as Echoes, but it's about what I expected.

No disrespect intended, but the BBC sessions from 1967 on this disc are bumming me out. Track 02, the Scarecrow, has a loud whistling sound like a teakettle across the whole track. Annoying, borderline painful. It fades to a tolerable level by Track 03, but I can still freaking hear it through track 03 and 04.

For this CD, I doubt I'll be listening to the BBC session tracks very much, if ever again.

Update - I switched to 1969 Dramatis/ation for a palate cleanser, specifically the Man and the Journey Suite. That's more like it! much better.

Makes me want to order it. :)

Obviously I'm an OCD fan and want all of it unconditionally in the near future...

The $64,000 question:
Is all the set's content available on the blurays and DVDs in 24 bit or are the tracks listed as CD's in the promos only in CD format?
Assuming the latter for obvious reasons which is why I'm wanting to wait for a price drop. Still have to ask though.

The AHM quad master and the Echoes quad mix are must haves.
In theory, Pompeii mixed from the multitracks into 5.1 should be the greatest thing ever right?

Looking at the liner notes, answer seems to be no. I haven't put any of the DVDs or Blu-rays in yet, because I'm going through all the CDs first.

No disrespect intended, but the BBC sessions from 1967 on this disc are bumming me out. Track 02, the Scarecrow, has a loud whistling sound like a teakettle across the whole track. Annoying, borderline painful. It fades to a tolerable level by Track 03, but I can still freaking hear it through track 03 and 04.

Andy Jackson did mention that some of the BBC tracks were recorded by fans with a radio and recorder. That may be one of the tracks which suffers in quality. For some hard core fans, this will still be appreciated.

Andy Jackson did mention that some of the BBC tracks were recorded by fans with a radio and recorder. That may be one of the tracks which suffers in quality. For some hard core fans, this will still be appreciated.

It's a shame because as has already been explained they are available in better quality and it's quite possible that the set's compilers were aware that they were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The hardcore fans already have the 1967 tracks in much better quality so no, it won't be appreciated at all. I sent them the best that was out there and they were going to use the tracks but it was a bit too late, the discs had already been run off. I'm hoping that they'll consider an independent BBC compilation somewhere down the road using the tracks I sent them. I'm pretty certain that I can offer more upgrades than just the 1967 sessions as well.

Wells2010 posted this at shf! "DTS HD master audio 96k 24bit for all 3"

The hardcore fans already have the 1967 tracks in much better quality so no, it won't be appreciated at all. I sent them the best that was out there and they were going to use the tracks but it was a bit too late, the discs had already been run off. I'm hoping that they'll consider an independent BBC compilation somewhere down the road using the tracks I sent them. I'm pretty certain that I can offer more upgrades than just the 1967 sessions as well.

What other upgrades do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am guessing you will (or already have) combed through the set and made comparisons. If and when you arrive at a comprehensive list of what is "totally new" to the collector, what is an upgrade to circulating material, and what could still be upgraded, would you be willing to share that information either on the forum or via PM or email? Thanks so much for all your attention to detail in the Floyd arena!

Well my credit card just got charged $392 by Amazon.co.uk. So I guess I'm committed to this thing now?

I am guessing you will (or already have) combed through the set and made comparisons. If and when you arrive at a comprehensive list of what is "totally new" to the collector, what is an upgrade to circulating material, and what could still be upgraded, would you be willing to share that information either on the forum or via PM or email? Thanks so much for all your attention to detail in the Floyd arena!
Sorry. Way too much for me but I'm sure that others will be up to the task. Still waiting for my box from the UK.

Seconded

Is this legit?

If so, then it appears we already have a proper full quality release here for some of this 'retrospective collection' box CD-only content available right now!
If this is a legit item, I'm absolutely going to wait for the rest of the proper releases and pass on this expensive 'best of' collection box.

But... HD Tracks has been busted time and time again of releasing 16 bit 44.1k prepared (and hyped) for CD program simply upsampled and converted to the HD format. CD masquerading as HD. They never include any providence for their releases. So... is this legit? I'd almost have to guess it isn't based on past behavior and especially Floyd Co. not wanting to obsolete this expensive set immediately upon release!

Not sure if this is legit Jim. I have bought hi res from both Qobuz and HD tracks, but was not aware of upsampling by the vendor.

It appears to be kind of an aloof thing. The format they sell is 24/96. Something comes along that just hasn't been made available in HD and they convert it to 24/96 to satisfy the format. Probably more of a disconnected screw up than purely malicious. Being that they never include any providence with technical info unless it was written as part of the promo for a release, there's no way to know until you buy the thing.

You know, it's silly to be concerned with CD quality on one hand. It is a very high fidelity format and certainly magnitudes better than some audience recorded bootleg that makes you say "What the hell is that noise?!". But it's 2016 and I'm interested in the deluxe version with the best seats for the audio. I happen to have no interest or budget to collect every other format and thus want to save for the full quality audio. Trying to avoid buying this stuff twice more (on top of previous vinyl purchases in the past). (Also just spent my budget on Crimson '80s box and Tales too! :D)

FYI, here's the info on CRE/ATION being sold by HD Tracks

*Arnold Layne 2.57
*See Emily Play 2.55
*Matilda Mother (2010 remix)
*Jugband Blues† (2010 remix)
*Paintbox 3.47
+Flaming† (BBC Radio Session, 25 September 1967) 2.42
*In The Beechwoods† (2010 mix) 4.43
*Point Me At The Sky) 3.41
*Careful With That Axe, Eugene (single ‘B’ Side version) 5.48
*Embryo (from Harvest Records sampler ‘Picnic’) 4.42
+US Radio ad for Electric Moo 0.22
#Grantchester Meadows† (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) 3.46
#Cymbaline† (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) 3.39
#Interstellar Overdrive† (Live, Paradiso, Amsterdam, August 1969) 4.24
#Green Is The Colour† (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969)/ 3.21
#Careful With That Axe, Eugene† (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) 3.28

<On The Highway† (Zabriskie Point remix) 1.17
<Auto Scene Version 2† (Zabriskie Point remix) 1.13
<The Riot Scene† (Zabriskie Point Remix) 1.40
<Looking At Map† (Zabriskie Point remix) 1.56
<Take Off† (Zabriskie Point remix) 1.19
#Embryo (alternative version)† (BBC Radio Session, 16 July 1970) 10.13
#Atom Heart Mother† (Live Montreux, 21 Nov 1970) (Band only) 18.01
#Nothing Part 14† 7.01
<Childhood’s End† (2016 remix) 4.33
<Free Four† (2016 remix) 4.16
<Stay† (2016 remix) 4.08

*straight from analogue tape
+from 44k transfer
#from 96k transfer
<from 96k mix master

So, the million dollar question for me is this: Has anyone listened to the Quad Mix of "Echoes" and, if so, how does it sound?!?!? I figured people on this board would be more interested in hearing about that, but I can't believe no one has asked or given a report. For me, that's the holy grail of the entire set (which, unfortunately, is out of my budget at the moment).

The new 5.1 Pompeii mix is another one that I want to hear more about!

So, the million dollar question for me is this: Has anyone listened to the Quad Mix of "Echoes" and, if so, how does it sound?!?!? I figured people on this board would be more interested in hearing about that, but I can't believe no one has asked or given a report. For me, that's the holy grail of the entire set (which, unfortunately, is out of my budget at the moment).

The new 5.1 Pompeii mix is another one that I want to hear more about!

Agreed and just as surprised!

Well, I guess the quad junkies did not receive the boxes yet or did not purchase them in the end.
I'll receive mine on Wednesday and Echoes is the first piece of music I'll play. I'll report then if nobody reviews it before.
By the way, Creation CDs are already doing the rounds on the Internet. Wonder how much time it'll take for the DVDs to be ripped and uploaded.

Amazon UK put the hold on my credit card on Wednesday but they have yet to ship it. The status on my account has said "preparing for dispatch" for the last two days, even though they still show the item as being in stock. I had a similar thing happen with the Mirage box. They didn't ship it until a week after the release date. (I wasn't happy. :howl )

On a related note, I ordered the Rumours mega-deluxe box last month from Amazon UK as a birthday present for a friend. It got delivered in only two days, UK to New Jersey! How come that doesn't happen when I order something for myself????

Back