Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to add a retraction and apologize at this point in time. As much as my sources for the information were extremely credible it appears that Guthrie never even heard the 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC so there is no way he could have been involved with pulling such things. Seems it was all Roger's doing and it appears that it was due more to a lack of communication than disapproval. Once again I'm sorry for posting and perpetuating the false information I was given. This is a forum where information is shared and what I posted I had every reason to believe to be true. This is the last I'll be writing about this matter.
No need to apologise to us, you did your best to share the credible information you had at the time.
My personal apologies to James Guthrie if he didn't have anything to do with the Meddlegate.

I need to add a retraction and apologize at this point in time. As much as my sources for the information were extremely credible it appears that Guthrie never even heard the 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC so there is no way he could have been involved with pulling such things. Seems it was all Roger's doing and it appears that it was due more to a lack of communication than disapproval. Once again I'm sorry for posting and perpetuating the false information I was given. This is a forum where information is shared and what I posted I had every reason to believe to be true. This is the last I'll be writing about this matter.

That's doubly good news. First, there's no back-stabbing after all. Second, that would seem to clear a path to an official, more organized release.

Lesson learnt for those jumping in this bandwagon, including myself. Quite embarrasing actually, to have taken some unconfirmed pm as fact. Sorry James.

I have some tweets to delete and retract. Thank you for clearing this up.

Thanks for the clarification. I am glad I chose not to meddle in the affair!

As much as I'd love to have these new surround mixes in this set, after doing the numbers based on Amazon UK, I can't justify the $500 after currency conversion (I'd only listen to the surround).
The price spike could be because they almost immediately ran out of stock and now have to go through different vendors to fulfill their orders. That's what they told me and now I'll be lucky if I get my box next week at all. Still hasn't shipped.

Thank you for further explanation. However, Guthrie did not have to hear those mixes to be irritated, irate, or incensed over them. Think about it. Just the news that they were done could send one over the edge (if they are so inclined). So him not hearing the actual mixes means absolutely nothing, he still could have - not approved. He may have had nothing to do with the recall, but not hearing the mixes means zilch. Really, this is Pink Floyd.

The price spike could be because they almost immediately ran out of stock and now have to go through different vendors to fulfill their orders. That's what they told me and now I'll be lucky if I get my box next week at all. Still hasn't shipped.

If it makes you feel any better, I preordered months ago and it hasn't shipped either.

I am really excited for this 5.1 Meddle now after the news here, but I don't have a computer with a Blu-Ray drive to extract it:(

I'll be happy to get Andy's 5.1 mix any way I can get it. Division Bell was masterful and it elevated that album to one of my all-time favorites.

WOW. I haven't checked this thread in a while, so I just now learned about Meddle. This is incredible!

As others have said... I'm hoping it makes it to the standalone/small-box release.

I had the opportunity to listen to Meddle today.

First, the stereo mix is also new in addition to the new 5.1 mix. The original stereo mix is not included on the bluray.

The new stereo mix is less dynamic and louder than the original. Less depth, less punch, and overly bright. At the same time it calls attention to a clear generation loss in my copy of the original! (The best copy I've ever found of the original is the MFSL vinyl and that's what I'm comparing to.) There are some elements revealed in a good way in the new mix and a general clarity and refined touch especially on the vocals (even though too bright) but ultimately the smaller size and brightness make it a difficult listen compared to the original. Signs of advanced mixing work but something went wrong.

The new 5.1 mix is better but also not quite right. There are obvious revelations in the sound vs. the original again. I'm hearing good surround mixing technique and refined work again but at the same time the depth and punch in the bass and drums is often (but not always!) gutted and the top end is extremely bright. Everything is shrill. There are some moments of really well balanced bass but then big parts that are anemic. OOTD is the biggest example and weird for it. It starts the album rather well in almost all respects actually. The extra sub bass on the knocking and the quad panned Roger is really cool. But then the band kicks in for the second half and it's suddenly tinny and whimpy. APOW being more chill of an arrangement is half and half. Some great space in surround and clarity and finesse in the mix but the shrillness in the vocals make the original stereo easier to listen to. I wonder if there were degradation issues with the multitrack and they've been blasted with Aphex exciter or something?

Frankly, now I'm not happy with the copy I have of the stereo original with the generation loss revealed. The 5.1 remix is flawed as a whole but still interesting as a bonus alternate item. A flawed gem still full of revealing things. Ultimately I'll still pine for a HD release of the stereo original and perhaps a finished version of the 5.1 mix with refinements everyone involved can agree on.

I had the opportunity to listen to Meddle today.

First, the stereo mix is also new in addition to the new 5.1 mix. The original stereo mix is not included on the bluray.

The new stereo mix is less dynamic and louder than the original. Less depth, less punch, and overly bright. At the same time it calls attention to a clear generation loss in my copy of the original! (The best copy I've ever found of the original is the MFSL vinyl and that's what I'm comparing to.) There are some elements revealed in a good way in the new mix and a general clarity and refined touch especially on the vocals (even though too bright) but ultimately the smaller size and brightness make it a difficult listen compared to the original. Signs of advanced mixing work but something went wrong.

The new 5.1 mix is better but also not quite right. There are obvious revelations in the sound vs. the original again. I'm hearing good surround mixing technique and refined work again but at the same time the depth and punch in the bass and drums is often (but not always!) gutted and the top end is extremely bright. Everything is shrill. There are some moments of really well balanced bass but then big parts that are anemic. OOTD is the biggest example and weird for it. It starts the album rather well in almost all respects actually. The extra sub bass on the knocking and the quad panned Roger is really cool. But then the band kicks in for the second half and it's suddenly tinny and whimpy. APOW being more chill of an arrangement is half and half. Some great space in surround and clarity and finesse in the mix but the shrillness in the vocals make the original stereo easier to listen to. I wonder if there were degradation issues with the multitrack and they've been blasted with Aphex exciter or something?

Frankly, now I'm not happy with the copy I have of the stereo original with the generation loss revealed. The 5.1 remix is flawed as a whole but still interesting as a bonus alternate item. A flawed gem still full of revealing things. Ultimately I'll still pine for a HD release of the stereo original and perhaps a finished version of the 5.1 mix with refinements everyone involved can agree on.

What does that mean? Are you saying you don't think the hidden 5.1 mix is the same version originally intended for the box set?

What does that mean? Are you saying you don't think the hidden 5.1 mix is the same version originally intended for the box set?

I wasn't speculating that far no. I guess I was thinking that maybe the veto had some merit after all.
Clearly they meant this to be included at one point. It was "deleted" by replacing the menu file. Removing the data for just this part of the program would require reauthoring. Maybe someone innocently thought that shortcut would have no repercussions.

So I was speculating that a future Meddle HD release might include an updated version of this 5.1 mix that is up to everyone's standards and leads to fans throwing away old copies without pause.

This mix is still a cool artifact to have. It will get played too. I consider both this and my stereo copy to be flawed to a similar level after hearing this. So they'll both get played.
Some of the content on this set may be imperfect but still interesting to have. Pretty cool in fact that they included material beyond the perfectly polished. (Intentional or not in this case.) Just to keep everything in perspective. :)

I wasn't speculating that far no. I guess I was thinking that maybe the veto had some merit after all.
Clearly they meant this to be included at one point. It was "deleted" by replacing the menu file. Removing the data for just this part of the program would require reauthoring.
Altering the menu in any way would require reauthoring as well.

Clearly they meant this to be included at one point. It was "deleted" by replacing the menu file. Removing the data for just this part of the program would require reauthoring. Maybe someone innocently thought that shortcut would have no repercussions.

So I was speculating that a future Meddle HD release might include an updated version of this 5.1 mix that is up to everyone's standards and leads to fans throwing away old copies without pause.

This mix is still a cool artifact to have. It will get played too. I consider both this and my stereo copy to be flawed to a similar level after hearing this. So they'll both get played.
Some of the content on this set may be imperfect but still interesting to have. Pretty cool in fact that they included material beyond the perfectly polished. (Intentional or not in this case.) Just to keep everything in perspective. :)

I doubt that will happen. All the reviews I have seen, don't mention the problems you have with it. Maybe because I haven't heard it yet, but I just don't get why you think this will get a remix or remaster anytime soon or ever in our lifetime. I don't think it's fair to AJ truthfully. Do you always give a similar critique and question the standards of every mix you don't like or is this one especially poor.

If it makes you feel any better, I preordered months ago and it hasn't shipped either.

I am really excited for this 5.1 Meddle now after the news here, but I don't have a computer with a Blu-Ray drive to extract it:(

I pre-ordered my box the day it was put up on amazon uk. My box (started its journey) to Australia on Nov 10. Luckily the day before the Pound shot up 3 pence to the $AU
Strange how some pre-orders are delayed and some are not

Back