Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spent considerable money on new tires and other car upkeep outlay. I mean I spent near a grand ok. But then again buying a box, stripping out the surround material, and then yes flipping it might be an option.

Some of the Pink Floyd fans won't care for those mixes and will be very happy to get the set for much less than it goes for.

Tell me guys, honestly, if they put these four mixes on one disc and charged $200 for it, would you go for it? This is how I see it.

Yes, we've been begging for these to be released well now that they are, I'm not going to start crying over the price tag. I'm buying the audio equivalent of a Bentley so yes, it'll cost me a pretty penny, but these will fill many an evening with wondrous delights.

To your point, the current Floyd archive team has established a track record of high quality releases that are arguably definitive for most fans. I've bought Dark Side probably 15-20 times over the last 15-20 years for various reasons (mastering, surround mixes, various vinyl pressings, etc), and when I look at the Immersion edition sitting on my shelf or when I listen to any part of it (or when I play marbles... j/k), I think to myself "I don't think I'll ever feel compelled to buy another copy ever again."

So yeah, this this is expensive and I agree that it would be awesome if it was as affordable of the King Crimson boxes. But we're getting some really amazing stuff here, and it sounds like the surround mixes - our primary motivation here - are just the tip of the iceberg. I'm going to start saving.

Atom Heart Mother in Quad or any other multi channel format would be a dream come true for me. Believe it or not, AHM was the very first Pink Floyd I owned!!

I know that, and I think what they mean by "historic" is just a fancy way of saying "previously released".

Ahh.. probably.. though they could both be "historic Quad mixes" (maybe as in both vintage.. or of an historic nature, even?) maybe the press release could've been better worded, like "one previously released historic Quad mix" and "one previously unreleased historic Quad mix"..? :eek:

Ah who cares about all that anyway!? :D
Lets look at what we're getting in this set from a surround point of view, from what we know so far..
2 x new 5.1 mixes,
1 x previously unreleased (yet still historic :p ) Quad mix,
1 x previously released historic Quad, no doubt scrubbed up and sounding better than before..!

Wow.. :yikes

Bugger the expense, count me IN..!! :banana:

This is FANTASTIC news... and while I usually pre-order anything in surround that is remotely interesting, regardless of price, this is one where I'll finally break my tradition... and wait til after it's released, Clint Eastwood does his research, and a reasonable deal can be found. But one way or another, I WILL HAVE IT!

So yeah, this this is expensive and I agree that it would be awesome if it was as affordable of the King Crimson boxes. But we're getting some really amazing stuff here, and it sounds like the surround mixes - our primary motivation here - are just the tip of the iceberg. I'm going to start saving.
Ramon noodles are not that bad. One can jazz them up with other things too. If one is a smoker, then try cold turkey for a few weeks.

I'm going to list my original German quad AHM on ebay, and maybe that extra WYWH quad platter as well. See if I can recoup a little there. Quad Q8s of WHWH are still hot on ebay as well. I can get the cash, I just need a week or two.

I just spent $875 on a damn water heater....which I don't want...you think I won't drop $500-700 for this? Or whatever it will be? Think again....

I hear you on things I would have rather spent money on.
Just had a plumbing leak that ended up costing $1000 to repair, now would I rather not have had to pay that and have this boxset instead,FOR SURE but unfortunately real life expenses come up all the time and this is priced out of my price range.

Why oh why couldn't that asking price be a typo and be $70.00 instead of $700.00,I know I'm dreaming, what did Roger Waters charge for his signature on the Wall box($500) and they probably all sold out so they already know that they will be able to get these sold at this price based on past sales of these over priced items.

Would be amazing as well if they had a bluray set with just the surrounds but based on what happened with Immersion sets, probably not likely either.

I'm happy for those of you that will be able to get this set.

I've bought Darkside once new and twice used. As much as I enjoy the used 5.1 SACD, it's my vintage black faced Harvest Japan for Europe CD that gets the most play. Having a 5.1 Meddle would be awesome, but I'm sure the same thing will happen. Back to the Japanese black face Harvest Meddle...on repeat...

Last edited:
"It would be so nice" if after this is released they would do a Pink Floyd Quadio Box Set with every PF related surround mix.

I hear you on things I would have rather spent money on.
Just had a plumbing leak that ended up costing $1000 to repair, now would I rather not have had to pay that and have this boxset instead,FOR SURE but unfortunately real life expenses come up all the time and this is priced out of my price range.

Why oh why couldn't that asking price be a typo and be $70.00 instead of $700.00,I know I'm dreaming, what did Roger Waters charge for his signature on the Wall box($500) and they probably all sold out so they already know that they will be able to get these sold at this price based on past sales of these over priced items.

Would be amazing as well if they had a bluray set with just the surrounds but based on what happened with Immersion sets, probably not likely either.

I'm happy for those of you that will be able to get this set.

Well, don't get me wrong...I'm a pretty spontaneous guy....I tend to jump before realizing how deep the water is. Just my nature. I really can't afford this....but, I will get it and deal with the shrapnel later. :)

For curiosity looked up the Roger Waters special Edition of the Wall Live, did not realize they sold out 3000 copies at $500 plus tax.
WOW, to me thats insane, I understand they are selling this as a special art piece besides the music but just WOW.
So this 1965-72 will be $700 then and sell in the 1000's

https://rogerwaters.com/sde/

For curiosity looked up the Roger Waters special Edition of the Wall Live, did not realize they sold out 3000 copies at $500 plus tax.
WOW, to me thats insane, I understand they are selling this as a special art piece besides the music but just WOW.
So this 1965-72 will be $700 then and sell in the 1000's

https://rogerwaters.com/sde/

Well, I'm really hoping that it won't be $700. Ugh...that is a lot of money...

Really looks like a great set, and with a few surprises included.....I drool at hearing Obscured by Clouds in 5.1 as it's always been one of my top PF albums. The price though - I'll wait and see. Surely there will be some smaller sets and/or alternatives to spending $700.

Also, having done *new 5.1 mixes* of Meddle and ObC I think bodes well for a future 5.1 of Animals....

Back