Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine arrived today from Amazon. Double boxed and well packed. The box set was in a big plastic bag with a CD laying on top of 1972 Obscured by clouds 2016 Remix. I opened the box set and the box that has the digital disc is sealed in plastic. The box containing the 7" vinyl and cards was not sealed. I have not opened the box with the digital discs yet and am wondering why the Obscured remix CD was outside the box set and in a white paper sleeve?

EDIT: It appears the CD in the paper sleeve is a replacement disc. I must have missed this in previous posts

Thank you for further explanation. However, Guthrie did not have to hear those mixes to be irritated, irate, or incensed over them. Think about it. Just the news that they were done could send one over the edge (if they are so inclined). So him not hearing the actual mixes means absolutely nothing, he still could have - not approved. He may have had nothing to do with the recall, but not hearing the mixes means zilch. Really, this is Pink Floyd.

I can verify that James Guthrie had nothing to do with the 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC being pulled from the set. He was not involved in what was put on the set, or what was left off the set. It would have been a better box set if he had been involved.
Roger Waters is the one who had the mixes pulled from the set because no told him that the mixes were being done, and no one bothered to play the mixes for him. All previous 5.1 mixes (DSOTM & WYWH) were played for all the band members for their input and approval prior to releasing them. This time round no one bothered, and the result was that they got pulled.

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

I can verify that James Guthrie had nothing to do with the 5.1 mixes of Meddle and OBC being pulled from the set. He was not involved in what was put on the set, or what was left off the set. It would have been a better box set if he had been involved.
Roger Waters is the one who had the mixes pulled from the set because no told him that the mixes were being done, and no one bothered to play the mixes for him. All previous 5.1 mixes (DSOTM & WYWH) were played for all the band members for their input and approval prior to releasing them. This time round no one bothered, and the result was that they got pulled.

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

Thank you for sharing this Vernon and welcome to QQ!

Your input is always valued. I've had the pleasure of visiting your web site as a reference many times in the past and I always find it a great source of invaluable information. :)

If anyone deserves this box early it's you.

I was thinking the same thing when reading that ron(rontoon) didn't have the set yet, thats crazy, he should have been one of the first to receive and Ron did alot to premote this boxset as well as add to the content for the boxset. If anything was surprised that the Pink Floyd camp didn't send him a copy for his efforts.

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

Thanks for posting this, my friend. If there's one authoritative voice around here it's you!

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

I appreciate the fact that you have come on here to comment on this matter, Vernon.
Like many others, I also regret any unfortunate things I have said on here over the past few months about Mr. Guthrie.
The story that was told seemed very believable, and passions run high on this forum. Most of the time that's a good thing, but in this instance, we were so caught up with anger in the moment because we all honestly felt that we would never have the opportunity to hear either of those 5.1 mixes.
So it really does appear that Pink Floyd operates on an "all-or-nothing" basis, which is why Roger would have had to have heard the 5.1 mixes so they could earn his own seal of approval, and I wish for our sake, they would have let him in on what they were doing, cause if they had, maybe both of those 5.1 mixes would have been included.
But there's one thing that I just don't understand. Did Roger know about the new 2016 stereo mix of "Obscured by Clouds" and the new 2016 stereo & surround mixes for "Live at Pompeii" and approve those, or did he just not care, and that's why we ended up with both of those new mixes on the box set?
It just seems really weird that the new stereo mix of "Obscured by Clouds" made it onto the box set, and the 5.1 mixes of "Meddle" and "Obscured by Clouds" did not. (Well officially that is…)
Anyway, I just hope that since this is all public knowledge now (and since one of the 5.1 mixes made it onto the box anyway) that all of the band members can come together and agree on releasing both 5.1 mixes officially once it gets approval from all three of them.
But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the heck out of the "Meddle" 5.1 mix because it is really great! :)

I have my box!

Took only 7 days from uk to Melbourne Australia

I have played the 2 BluRays that are supposed to be faulty. Both played fine!

It's a huge box, but has a huge empty space that I feel is a waste of space.

I am looking forward to slowly getting through this.

Thanks Vernon for the clarification. There are still some loose ends like Pompeii in 5.1 and stereo and also OBC in stereo (did Roger approved them?).
Forgetting for a moment about the hassle about James, do you happen to know why he was not hired for this box? I was assuming Das Boot was going to do at least the disc authoring and was really surprised not to see them in the credits, specially as they have been working with David for TER and Rattle that Lock.
Thanks!

I was assuming Das Boot was going to do at least the disc authoring and was really surprised not to see them in the credits, specially as they have been working with David for TER and Rattle that Lock.
Thanks!

I don't know who authored the DVD & Blu-Ray discs in this box set, but I definitely liked the authoring work on the previous Pink Floyd Blu-Rays ("Dark Side…", "Wish You Were Here", "Division Bell", and "Endless River") while I did not think that the authoring work on "Amused to Death" (authored by Das Boot) was that great at all.

I don't know who authored the DVD & Blu-Ray discs in this box set, but I definitely liked the authoring work on the previous Pink Floyd Blu-Rays ("Dark Side…", "Wish You Were Here", "Division Bell", and "Endless River") while I did not think that the authoring work on "Amused to Death" (authored by Das Boot) was that great at all.
It's a company called ascreate.com, that's what the box credits say.

Just wanted to chime in on the Meddle 5.1.

I heard exactly the same things that Jim described in his initial assessment. The break in "One of these Days" is jarring, but also easily fixed. For those of you who want to boost the FLAC in Audacity, here's how I did it:

1. As suggested by Sean, I lowered the entire center channel by 3 dB
  2. Again, as suggested by Sean, I raised the volume of the front L and R channels between 00:03:43.005 and the end by 2.9 dB
  3. Then, I applied an equalizer (Effects > Equalization) to the same range: http://pasteboard.co/sncWA99KA.png
  4. I also went ahead and bumped the LFE channel for the same range, but don't recall by how much. Feel free to toy around.

You might end up with a few of the peaks clipping a tiny little bit, which personally, I can see in the waveforms, but definitely cannot hear. Overall, the end result is not perfect, but it certainly gets the song close to how we know it should sound.

As for the sensitive highs that Jim mentioned, personally, I can hear that they're more fragile than on other Pink Floyd 5.1 mixes, but once I just sit back and listen to the 5.1 mix as a whole without really paying attention, I stop noticing.

The mix itself is freaking awesome, and I'm elated to get to experience it.

As for Roger Waters, it might be that after he had no stakes in all the recent 5.1s that came out of the Gilmour side of the Floyd camp - TER, Division Bell, Rattle that Lock, perhaps that's why they (conveniently?) forgot to involve him? Either way, we can speculate all we want. In the end, I do hope the OBC 5.1 mix can come out some time in the future.

Last edited:
In a new interview in Billboard, Nick Mason mentions the possibility of a reissue for Animals.

Other archival releases are being considered, including a set dedicated to 1977's Animals, the lone Pink Floyd album from the 70s that hasn't been revisited yet.

"There's been quite a lot of discussion about Animals," Mason acknowledges. "It's the one album we've talked about, not only for remastering but possibly doing a remix on because it was done in our own studio, and I think that technically it's possibly not one of our finest works. So we could possibly revisit it and maybe just do a bit of a job on some of the sound quality of it."

Thank you for sharing this Vernon and welcome to QQ!

Your input is always valued. I've had the pleasure of visiting your web site as a reference many times in the past and I always find it a great source of invaluable information. :)

Thanks Simon. I've been reading QQ for some time.
Always enjoy discussions on quad and surround as I have both a SQ setup and a 5.1 setup here.

Thanks Vernon for the clarification. There are still some loose ends like Pompeii in 5.1 and stereo and also OBC in stereo (did Roger approved them?).
Forgetting for a moment about the hassle about James, do you happen to know why he was not hired for this box? I was assuming Das Boot was going to do at least the disc authoring and was really surprised not to see them in the credits, specially as they have been working with David for TER and Rattle that Lock.
Thanks!

I can only speak for myself, but IMO I think that it was a huge mistake not to involve Guthrie in the box set.
As to why he wasn't, well that would be a question for management.

I can only speak for myself, but IMO I think that it was a huge mistake not to involve Guthrie in the box set.

Is there any likelihood that the 5.1/4.0 Floyd remixes contained within the early years boxset or ommitted from the set might oneday be released as stand alone BD~As or SACDs?

I admire the work JG has done with PF but oh boy he is so slow.

Is there any likelihood that the 5.1/4.0 Floyd remixes might be released as stand alone BD~As or SACDs in the future?

Floyd was on the leading edge of multichannel music. This series I watched last night, Soundbreaking, puts to rest the tired old argument about recordings and the live reproduction goals. It completely squashes the narrative. "Oh, it doesn't sound like it's live," some people have used to put down multichannel, is comical after this show goes in depth on the studio advances. It doesn't specifically mention any speaker configuration, but what I got out of it, was the fact, the studio is an enormous tool for moving music forward. It is THE future and to think any of the Floyd stuff doesn't move forward with ALL of its advancements, seems primitive from my perspective.

http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/pbs-presents-soundbreaking-stories-from-the-cutting-edge-of-recorded-music-to-premiere-at-sxsw/

Floyd was on the leading edge of multichannel music. This series I watched last night, Soundbreaking, puts to rest the tired old argument about recordings and the live reproduction goals. It completely squashes the narrative. "Oh, it doesn't sound like it's live," some people have used to put down multichannel, is comical after this show goes in depth on the studio advances. It doesn't specifically mention any speaker configuration, but what I got out of it, was the fact, the studio is an enormous tool for moving music forward. It is THE future and to think any of the Floyd stuff doesn't move forward with ALL of its advancements, seems primitive from my perspective.

http://www.pbs.org/about/blogs/news/pbs-presents-soundbreaking-stories-from-the-cutting-edge-of-recorded-music-to-premiere-at-sxsw/

SOUNDBREAKING will be released in its entirety (3 BD~Vs/425 minutes) on November 29th http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Soundbreaking-Blu-ray/165798/

Sounds fascinating.

SOUNDBREAKING will be released in its entirety (3 BD~Vs/425 minutes) on November 29th http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Soundbreaking-Blu-ray/165798/

Sounds fascinating.
I've been thoroughly enjoying the series myself, even as a bona fide audio engineer, although there was some horrendous misinformation in last night's episode re: talkbox. Ben Harper described it as a (I'm paraphrasing) "tube that sent electrical signals down your throat," and said that it got tiring to use because of this. WAT.

Then he said that AutoTune was like the "new version" of the talkbox. Sure, Ben. Sure.

Back