Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20161118_125450.jpg
Very simple trick to be able to get the individual volumes out of the box: just cut a piece of cardboard from the amazon parcel and place it at the back of the container. No need to put upside down the box anymore!

Hoping an Immersion style box set of Animals would include the previously unreleased Quad, alongside a new 5.1 remix.

There was never a quad surround mix made of animals. The ones you see in the corners of the internet are fakes (upmixes).

There was never a quad surround mix made of animals. The ones you see in the corners of the internet are fakes (upmixes).

A quad mix of Animals has never been confirmed to have been completed. However, the Floyd's American label (Columbia) assigned a catalog number for a quad LP of Animals. This of course was never released. Some speculate that the band may have had a mix completed but that Columbia eventually decided not to release it, perhaps because by that time (1977) quad was on its way out. All just speculation of course.

I am sure he knows the difference between an upmix and the real, yet unreleased thing, if it does exist.

A quad mix of Animals has never been confirmed to have been completed. However, the Floyd's American label (Columbia) assigned a catalog number for a quad LP of Animals. This of course was never released. Some speculate that the band may have had a mix completed but that Columbia eventually decided not to release it, perhaps because by that time (1977) quad was on its way out. All just speculation of course.

I suppose it could be possible. I obviously can't prove a negative. The likelihood is low. Too bad we don't have the extensive fly on the wall day to day mix session notes like we have for WYWH (which talk about the quad mix sessions).

They made a quad fx reel for the '77 tour of course. The animals sounds for the show intro and POTW segues. The middle section of Dogs with the flanged keyboard surround pans. The pigs in Pigs (TDO). The wine glasses intro, pt 8 outro, & final outro of SOYCD. The pulsing synth click track for WTTM.

I have a good portion of this captured from a few shows where one of the audience tapers (for a given show) was in close proximity to the rear or one of the side surround stacks. That they used the same fx reel for every show means these quad mix elements can be restored by combining multiple sources. The wandering guitar and keyboard solo quad panning was live and unique for each show. The best of '77 tour will have actual discrete quad elements as heard at the live shows. Maybe not the same as a surround studio mix but the homemade Animals Immersion set will not disappoint. :) You have the first installment already in the form of the early rough mix tapes.

Hoping an Immersion style box set of Animals would include the previously unreleased Quad, alongside a new 5.1 remix.

Hoping an Immersion style box set is skipped in favor of a more consumer friendly release. Forget all the padding and just give us the music. Very unlikely, I know, but hopefully we at least get a standalone like they did for WYWH.

And does this coming out mean they're just going to forget about a 5.1 of the Wall? I'd think they would've had JG do that before getting Animals out- though maybe he's still working on that and AJ did Animals (my preference). And if I had to choose one over the other, I'll take Animals.

My box set was shipped by Amazon U.K. from Germany since the 10th. But it is stuck in the Canada Border Services Agency for customs review since Thursday morning. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's really cool about this is that PFA's first response on here is part of the article (as a link), but really? They are not remasters. They are remixes! Good grief, I especially hate it when music journalists don't know the difference! They are part of the problem people do not know the difference between a remaster and a remix… (n) :( :mad:

Haven't scanned the entire thread, but to try to clarify: there will be separate releases of these in 2017, does that include the AHM quad and Meddle Quad?

Haven't scanned the entire thread, but to try to clarify: there will be separate releases of these in 2017, does that include the AHM quad and Meddle Quad?

Only Echoes from Meddle is in QUAD (the rest of the album was never mixed that way). AHM album in QUAD and Echoes in QUAD should be included on the 1970 and 1971 individual boxes respectively. It is yet to be seen if the hidden new Meddle 5.1 mix will be on the 1971 Blu-ray.

Quad Echoes is also an early mix made before some of the final overdubs. It almost has more of the feel of Return Of The Son Of Nothing but with the later 1st verse lyrics. So there's no quad final mix proper for the album but we get a special quad mix of an earlier Echoes as a companion.

Only Echoes from Meddle is in QUAD (the rest of the album was never mixed that way). AHM album in QUAD and Echoes in QUAD should be included on the 1970 and 1971 individual boxes respectively. It is yet to be seen if the hidden new Meddle 5.1 mix will be on the 1971 Blu-ray.

Thanks! I guess since the Meddle 5.1 is hidden the way it is chances are small to have it available separately BUT I do hold my fingers crossed!

Heads up to folks with cable television that Zabriskie Point shows late tonight on Turner Classic Movies.
As I wait for the individual releases, enjoying Cre/ation, especially the second disk with the soundtrack excerpts.

I remember seeing Terry Reid with David Lindley in 1970.
They played Brother Mary, which he announced as being from the soundtrack (by Lindley's former band Kaleidoscope).

I made sure to see the film first chance I got, which would have been at midnight, likely in a small art theater.
Later bought the soundtrack, how could you go wrong, with Floyd, Garcia et al.

Mark, a student at a Los Angeles university, attends a meeting of radicals but leaves when he decides that they plan to take no action against political repression. He buys a revolver and goes to the campus where police are attempting to oust students from an occupied building, but he misses the chance to shoot a policeman when another bullet strikes the man first. Fleeing from the scene, Mark steals a small airplane from a private airport and flies east. From his plane, he sees a young woman, Daria, driving across the desert toward Phoenix; Mark flies over her car until she becomes amused by his attention and stops to wait for him to land. Leaving the plane behind, the two drive in her car until they reach Zabriskie Point in Death Valley, where Daria smokes marijuana, and they make love in the sand dunes. Later, at a roadside comfort station, Daria is questioned by a highway patrolman; unnoticed, Mark draws his gun, but Daria stands in front of the policeman. After the policeman leaves, Mark realizes that he must leave Daria and return to Los Angeles. He finds the plane and flies back to the airport, where he is killed by the waiting police. Daria drives on toward Phoenix and hears the news of Mark's death on the car radio. She reaches the plush office of her employer, Lee Allen, who is negotiating to build a modern community in the desert. Suddenly repulsed by crass materialism, Daria departs, fantasizing about the destruction of the building and all it represents.

1. "Heart Beat, Pig Meat" David Gilmour/Roger Waters/Richard Wright/Nick Mason Pink Floyd 3:12
2. "Brother Mary" David Lindley Kaleidoscope 2:42

3. "Excerpt from Dark Star" Jerry Garcia/Mickey Hart/Robert Hunter/Bill Kreutzmann/Phil Lesh/Ron "Pigpen" McKernan/Bob Weir Grateful Dead 2:32
4. "Crumbling Land" Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason Pink Floyd 4:16
5. "Tennessee Waltz" Pee Wee King/Redd Stewart Patti Page 3:03
6. "Sugar Babe" Jesse Colin Young The Youngbloods 2:13
7. "Love Scene" Garcia Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead) 7:02
8. "I Wish I Was a Single Girl Again" Roscoe Holcomb Roscoe Holcomb 1:56
9. "Mickey's Tune" Lindley Kaleidoscope 1:42
10. "Dance of Death" John Fahey John Fahey 2:43
11. "Come in Number 51, Your Time Is Up" Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason Pink Floyd 5:01

Bonus disc from 1997 release
No. Title Artist Length
1. "Love Scene Improvisations (Version 1)" (Garcia) Jerry Garcia 6:18
2. "Love Scene Improvisations (Version 2)" (Garcia) Jerry Garcia 8:00
3. "Love Scene Improvisations (Version 3)" (Garcia) Jerry Garcia 7:52
4. "Love Scene Improvisations (Version 4)" (Garcia) Jerry Garcia 8:04
5. "Country Song" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason) Pink Floyd 4:37
6. "Unknown Song" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason) Pink Floyd 6:01
7. "Love Scene (Version 6)" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright/Mason) Pink Floyd 7:26
8. "Love Scene (Version 4)" (Wright) Pink Floyd 6:45

Last edited:
My box set was shipped by Amazon U.K. from Germany since the 10th. But it is stuck in the Canada Border Services Agency for customs review since Thursday morning. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some customs agent is groovin' out this weekend. A customs agent with a surround setup.

The Wall gets all the attention, but I'd much rather see a surround version of Animals. After all the surround stuff that has come out in the last few weeks, it is now definitely number 1 on my wish list.

96/24 Meddle 5.1 and Stereo mix. Roger Waters pulls it late into the project, because he never got to hear Andy Jacksons mix.
We all know the secret messages on The wall and Amused to death 2015 you can hear now.
I think David Gilmour is having a Bit of a laugh at Rogers expense, with this f-cking big Easter egg.
I love the politics of this band. ?

Back