Pink Floyd - The Early Years - 1965 > 1972

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I'm sure I'll be corrected if in error, but my understanding is that 24 bit may add more volume steps to digitise, but the quantisation steps are the same size, so a louder signal can be captured, but a signal at equal input at 24 or 16 bit capture should have no difference in resolution - is that correct? Also, doesn't 24 bit give far more dynamic range potential than the human ear could stand for prolonged periods of time? My understanding is that a higher bit depth (beyond 16 bit) is better for processing, and the sample rate is where you will get the beef of the improvement in sound. People here know much more than me, so I look forward to being gently corrected.

Without getting too technical or writing pages worth! With 24-bit digitisation you capture smaller changes in the input than with 16-bit, 24-bits has 256x the resolution of 16-bits, so can 'see' more of the small changes in the input. So it doesn't capture a louder signal as such. Human hearing can cover over 120dB, but the number of bits is not related to human hearing range it sets the resolution. Human ears can hear small details in loud signals. The sample rate sets the maximum frequency you can capture (the Nyquist frequency), so that frequency is half the sample rate, so for CDs sampling at 44.1kHz its 20.5kHz, 96kHz sampling gives 48kHz, but the input signal will be limited with filters well before this. High sample rates also allow you to spread the quantisation noise and to use less 'harsh' filtering. So more bits is best, with higher sample rates 'improving' things.

Now I'm sure I'll be corrected if in error, but my understanding is that 24 bit may add more volume steps to digitise, but the quantisation steps are the same size, so a louder signal can be captured, but a signal at equal input at 24 or 16 bit capture should have no difference in resolution - is that correct? Also, doesn't 24 bit give far more dynamic range potential than the human ear could stand for prolonged periods of time? My understanding is that a higher bit depth (beyond 16 bit) is better for processing, and the sample rate is where you will get the beef of the improvement in sound. People here know much more than me, so I look forward to being gently corrected.

I should kindly like to redact my incorrect statements. I apologize for populating this thread with incorrect information. I am a technician, but not an engineer. I have always struggled with math and physics, and obviously my poor grasp of the topic at hand has shown.

There are plenty of real engineers around here who should be able to clarify this discussion. Perhaps someone qualified could start a separate thread which could be stickied, so that any time the topic comes up on the forum there is a simple and definitive place to clear up the mythologies. Again, I apologize if I have perpetuated bad information.

Your terminology was a bit off, but your understanding of the concepts was on enough to make some sense.

I do hear the stair-stepping of lower sample rates particularly on pianos. It's the on-off-on-off noise, I turned up my amp in the 80s and heard it. Weather it comes from sample rates or bit rates makes little difference, it's the coarse assembly of the wav. Sometimes not so noticeable, other-times more so.

I guess my ears could have lied to me.

Your terminology was a bit off, but your understanding of the concepts was on enough to make some sense.

I do hear the stair-stepping of lower sample rates particularly on pianos. It's the on-off-on-off noise, I turned up my amp in the 80s and heard it. Weather it comes from sample rates or bit rates makes little difference, it's the coarse assembly of the wav. Sometimes not so noticeable, other-times more so.

I guess my ears could have lied to me.

It sounds from your description more like poor quantization, truncation, a bit depth issue (not 'bit rates') at reproducing very low sound levels in early days of digital. And it certainly does matter which is which (sample rate or bit depth). It also matters that you turned up your 80s amp to hear it. Is that really fair? Was it at a level where you could still listen to loud music without blowing out your ears? If you turn an LP or a tape up that loud, won't you hear more errors?

It hasn't been an issue for decades now, btw.

I visited a mastering house years ago and either in conversation then or over the 'phone later I was told that after noise shaping early digital could be the equivalent of 12 bit.

With 24-bit digitisation you capture smaller changes in the input than with 16-bit, 24-bits has 256x the resolution of 16-bits, so can 'see' more of the small changes in the input. So it doesn't capture a louder signal as such. Human hearing can cover over 120dB, but the number of bits is not related to human hearing range it sets the resolution.

I'm pretty certain some of this is incorrect. Human hearing can cover over 120dB but you're damaging it at that point and very few people are going to be listening at that level. If they do for a prolonged period of time 24 bits will be pointless anyway as their hearing will be damaged. The quantisation step size does not reduce at higher bit rates either. Bit rate is directly related to potential dynamic range (pure signal). I've not had to care about this kind of stuff for over 14 years so I'm pretty rusty.

EDIT: This fella describes it and understands it far better than I do: http://www.head-fi.org/t/415361/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded

I got 2 replacement BluRays

One of them had trouble playing in my original box set on one of my BluRay players, so I asked for replacements and got them today!
If you only had one faulty disc why did you request two replacement discs, a bit dishonest don't you think....

If you only had one faulty disc why did you request two replacement discs, a bit dishonest don't you think....

Did you buy the box? About $600 to Australia.

They were offering to replace two BluRay discs that had faults.

How can you accuse me of being dishonest !

Rather than put up with a disc I paid a lot of money for that isn't perfect I accepted their replacement offer.
Happens to be they replace both discs.

I should kindly like to redact my incorrect statements. I apologize for populating this thread with incorrect information. I am a technician, but not an engineer. I have always struggled with math and physics, and obviously my poor grasp of the topic at hand has shown.

There are plenty of real engineers around here who should be able to clarify this discussion. Perhaps someone qualified could start a separate thread which could be stickied, so that any time the topic comes up on the forum there is a simple and definitive place to clear up the mythologies. Again, I apologize if I have perpetuated bad information.

This is a very good presentation regarding analog to digital to analog conversion:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/6/9680140/chris-montgomery-digital-audio-hi-res-explainer

Out of curiosity, which two discs were replaced? I will check those sooner than later.

The name of the discs are Obfusc/ation' Blu-ray and 'Continu/ation' Blu-ray Disc 1

My biggest concern with an investment such as this is the discs not playing properly. We are now aware several people have had issues with the immersion box sets BluRay discs also not playing.

I think I deserve BluRay discs that will play 100% after spending a small fortune on Pink Floyd Immersion and Early Years box sets.

I also had to have my Wish You Were Here BluRay disc replaced when that came out, so we have form on these faulty disc problems.

I visited a mastering house years ago and either in conversation then or over the 'phone later I was told that after noise shaping early digital could be the equivalent of 12 bit.

there was no noise shaping in early digital. And if anyning, noise shaping --pushing the noise out of the audible band -- would *increase* effective resolution.

there was no noise shaping in early digital. And if anyning, noise shaping --pushing the noise out of the audible band -- would *increase* effective resolution.

I'm only going on what a big cheese at a still working mastering house told me (early CDs is what I should have said though.)

Did you buy the box? About $600 to Australia.

They were offering to replace two BluRay discs that had faults.

How can you accuse me of being dishonest !

Rather than put up with a disc I paid a lot of money for that isn't perfect I accepted their replacement offer.
Happens to be they replace both discs.
Yes I have the box. My e-mail from Warner asked for the numbers of the discs that needed replacing, so therefore I only requested the disc I needed.
Besides why would I request a disc(s) for something I had not purchased, has anyone actually been that dishonest...

The name of the discs are Obfusc/ation' Blu-ray and 'Continu/ation' Blu-ray Disc 1

I think I deserve BluRay discs that will play 100% after spending a small fortune on Pink Floyd Immersion and Early Years box sets.

Looks like my 1st disc is un-Obfuscated, but the 2nd disc is dis-Continued.

The 'Continu/ation' Blu-ray Disc 1 disc loads but does not offer play options, only the top splash screen with music. It seems impossible to get it to play.

How did you inquire for a replacement? My box came from Amazon UK and those following this thread will recall it took me a full month to get my box in the first place. Is there a direct contact with the label?

Back