Temple Of The Dog - Blu-Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bit More info to tempt you:

Super Deluxe Edition

$99 Free shipping for U.S. customers only

4 Discs: 2CDs, 1 DVD and 1 Blu-ray Audio.
51 total tracks - counting all audio and video - 48 of which are unreleased tracks and/or mixes.
CD 1:
•Original album newly mixed in 192/24 stereo by Brendan O'Brien
•Plus 3 Alternate Mixes newly mixed from multi-tracks by Adam Kasper – "Say Hello 2 Heaven", "Wooden Jesus" and "All Night Thing"
CD 2:
•7 demos - 5 unreleased including 2 songs that didn't make final album sessions: "Angel of Fire" and "Black Cat"
•5 Studio Outtakes newly mixed from multi-tracks by Adam Kasper – "Say Hello 2 Heaven", "Reach Down", "Pushin Forward Back", "Wooden Jesus" and "All Night Thing"
Disc 3 (DVD):
•11/13/90: Off Ramp Cafe video shot by Badmotorfinger producer, Terry Date (previously unseen/unreleased) – "Hunger Strike", "Wooden Jesus", "Say Hello 2 Heaven", "Reach Down", "Call Me A Dog" and "Times of Trouble"
•12/90: "Say Hello 2 Heaven" originally shot on film and newly transferred to HD (newly edited and never before seen in its entirety)
•9/8/92: Lollapalooza, Phoenix "Hunger Strike" surprise performance
•Official "Hunger Strike" music video
•9/11 PJ20 Alpine Valley fan shot and edited videos including:
•9/3/11: "Say Hello 2 Heaven"
•9/4/11: "Hunger Strike", "Call Me A Dog", "All Night Thing" and "Reach Down"
•All HD quality; includes Pearl Jam's stereo mix from the live multi-tracks from this event plus HD pit footage from the Pearl Jam archives
•1/15: "Call Me A Dog" and "Reach Down" from Madseason's 2015 Benaroya Hall concert (newly edited and never-before-seen)
Disc 4 (Blu-ray Audio):
•Newly mixed 96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround mix by Adam Kasper (Superunknown 5.1 mixer)
•96kHz 24-bit stereo mix by Brendan O'Brien
•Official "Hunger Strike" music video in 5.1
•HD versions of the bonus videos in stereo only

Magnetic flip top box package includes booklet with liner notes by David Fricke, a lenticular sticker and a poster.

PLUS exclusive 12"x12" litho with each Super Deluxe order.

Bit More info to tempt you:

Super Deluxe Edition

$99 Free shipping for U.S. customers only

4 Discs: 2CDs, 1 DVD and 1 Blu-ray Audio.
51 total tracks - counting all audio and video - 48 of which are unreleased tracks and/or mixes.
CD 1:
•Original album newly mixed in 192/24 stereo by Brendan O'Brien
•Plus 3 Alternate Mixes newly mixed from multi-tracks by Adam Kasper – "Say Hello 2 Heaven", "Wooden Jesus" and "All Night Thing"
CD 2:
•7 demos - 5 unreleased including 2 songs that didn't make final album sessions: "Angel of Fire" and "Black Cat"
•5 Studio Outtakes newly mixed from multi-tracks by Adam Kasper – "Say Hello 2 Heaven", "Reach Down", "Pushin Forward Back", "Wooden Jesus" and "All Night Thing"
Disc 3 (DVD):
•11/13/90: Off Ramp Cafe video shot by Badmotorfinger producer, Terry Date (previously unseen/unreleased) – "Hunger Strike", "Wooden Jesus", "Say Hello 2 Heaven", "Reach Down", "Call Me A Dog" and "Times of Trouble"
•12/90: "Say Hello 2 Heaven" originally shot on film and newly transferred to HD (newly edited and never before seen in its entirety)
•9/8/92: Lollapalooza, Phoenix "Hunger Strike" surprise performance
•Official "Hunger Strike" music video
•9/11 PJ20 Alpine Valley fan shot and edited videos including:
•9/3/11: "Say Hello 2 Heaven"
•9/4/11: "Hunger Strike", "Call Me A Dog", "All Night Thing" and "Reach Down"
•All HD quality; includes Pearl Jam's stereo mix from the live multi-tracks from this event plus HD pit footage from the Pearl Jam archives
•1/15: "Call Me A Dog" and "Reach Down" from Madseason's 2015 Benaroya Hall concert (newly edited and never-before-seen)
Disc 4 (Blu-ray Audio):
•Newly mixed 96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround mix by Adam Kasper (Superunknown 5.1 mixer)
•96kHz 24-bit stereo mix by Brendan O'Brien
•Official "Hunger Strike" music video in 5.1
•HD versions of the bonus videos in stereo only

Magnetic flip top box package includes booklet with liner notes by David Fricke, a lenticular sticker and a poster.

PLUS exclusive 12"x12" litho with each Super Deluxe order.

Kasper sucks. Real shame.

There's no tempting me on this set.
1. It's way too expensive!
2. Adam Kasper was the one who mixed the horrendous 5.1 mix of "Superunknown" for SoundGarden, so this release probably will not be endorsed by anyone on here, but for those of you who want to take a chance, best of luck...

I'll admit that this is in my top five albums of the 90's, more so than any Soundgarden or Pearl Jam albums. All Night Thing has been part of my stage repertoire since I've first heard of the album upon its release.

I'll obviously wait for comments on the mixes, but I would buy the set and sell it for a good deal and I'd keep the Blu-ray disc.

I'm glad they chose to do this but I also hope that it's been done right. Hopefully, Mister Kasper has read the comments concerning his mixes and has approached this project differently.

I'll admit that this is in my top five albums of the 90's, more so than any Soundgarden or Pearl Jam albums. All Night Thing has been part of my stage repertoire since I've first heard of the album upon its release.

I'll obviously wait for comments on the mixes, but I would buy the set and sell it for a good deal and I'd keep the Blu-ray disc.

I'm glad they chose to do this but I also hope that it's been done right. Hopefully, Mister Kasper has read the comments concerning his mixes and has approached this project differently.

That is why I think it is a good job to contact these people if possible. Obviously if speaking direct be as polite as possible, but let them know an approach like SW is preferable and recommend discs for them to listen to. AK has probably never heard a 5.1 before he got the gig.

I hear you Simon...I love the album as well. While I won't be an early adopter, I hope we can hear reports about the quality from those that do purchase. :)

Was it the mix on the Soundgarden release or was it the compressed sound. ...or both. I couldn't get over the crappy sound quality to bother with evaluating the mix.

Well, this went from the most exciting part of my day :banana::banana::cool::woopie, to the most disappointing...:scream I see a Temple of the Dog thread pop up and get SUPER EXCITED, only to click on the thread, read the name Adam Kasper, son-of-a...

That is why I think it is a good job to contact these people if possible. Obviously if speaking direct be as polite as possible, but let them know an approach like SW is preferable and recommend discs for them to listen to. AK has probably never heard a 5.1 before he got the gig.

I think that's a futile idea. The engineer is largely beholden to what the artist and record label wants as they are the ones commissioning the work.
I think it's just best to skip out on this release rather than try to force a change on something that we're powerless to anyway.

I think that's a futile idea. The engineer is largely beholden to what the artist and record label wants as they are the ones commissioning the work.
I think it's just best to skip out on this release rather than try to force a change on something that we're powerless to anyway.

It is not futile at all. It has worked before. I have contacted a certain engineer who did a couple of 'multi channel stereo' mixes, low and behold his next mix was his best, a lot more discrete.

We are never powerless.

It is not futile at all. It has worked before. I have contacted a certain engineer who did a couple of 'multi channel stereo' mixes, low and behold his next mix was his best, a lot more discrete.

We are never powerless.

I guess it depends on not only who the engineer is but what artists and labels are commissioning his work.
If it's someone that works more with indie artists (aka not mainstream/major label), like Bruce Soord, Jens Borgen, or Jakko Jakszyk, then yeah, maybe some constructive criticism could help future releases, but in this instance, I think it's definitely futile, especially since I won't ever be bothered with any of Adam Kasper's mixes if they continue to be sold exclusively in an expensive box set.

I guess it depends on not only who the engineer is but what artists and labels are commissioning his work.
If it's someone that works more with indie artists (aka not mainstream/major label), like Bruce Soord, Jens Borgen, or Jakko Jakszyk, then yeah, maybe some constructive criticism could help future releases, but in this instance, I think it's definitely futile, especially since I won't ever be bothered with any of Adam Kasper's mixes if they continue to be sold exclusively in an expensive box set.

Maybe? Only takes 2 minutes for an email though. I suspect AK does not listen to surround music.
I emailed Jens directly last year and he did not reply.

I once emailed Herb powers who masters JT/ Timbaland/ Alicia Keys stuff. He told me he mastered JT's Futurelove and it sounded amazing, he was asked to DO IT AGAIN! After the second time, which was more compressed, he was asked to DO IT AGAIN! Madness. He admitted the first one sounded the best. So YES you are right about engineers sometimes being told what to do an not to blame.

We will see. Fingers crossed this one is much better than Soundgarden.

Was it the mix on the Soundgarden release or was it the compressed sound. ...or both. I couldn't get over the crappy sound quality to bother with evaluating the mix.

The "high resolution" stereo mix was atrociously compressed, the 5.1 mix was a DR10 the same as the original 1994 CD. It was the mixing, hard to describe exactly what the worst bits were but 5.1 should OPEN up the mix and allow you to get right into it, to be part of the music, Superunknown seemed to box everything in and make it less accessible. The worst part was the incessant doubling of the main vocal track through the surrounds. I get putting a whisper through it, or some backing vocals, or a different vocal in the song like something through a megaphone perhaps, but the MAIN vocal? NO! That should always be central and in front! It was just utterly bizarre, so disappointing.

The "high resolution" stereo mix was atrociously compressed, the 5.1 mix was a DR10 the same as the original 1994 CD. It was the mixing, hard to describe exactly what the worst bits were but 5.1 should OPEN up the mix and allow you to get right into it, to be part of the music, Superunknown seemed to box everything in and make it less accessible. The worst part was the incessant doubling of the main vocal track through the surrounds. I get putting a whisper through it, or some backing vocals, or a different vocal in the song like something through a megaphone perhaps, but the MAIN vocal? NO! That should always be central and in front! It was just utterly bizarre, so disappointing.

When you crank it you don't get that low end you want and expect. DR10, I would have not guessed that. The balance of the high end and low end is off. I am not 100% convinced the mix is the main problem. Major problems for sure and disappointing for sure...

I was watching a little bit of the second disc of The Who's Tommy Deluxe version where Pete Townsend was taking about the 2003 SACD mix and said that since it was his first experience doing a 5.1 channel mix that he was "learning as he goes". :eek:

apparently some (many?) of these artists are handing off the duties to inexperienced mixers. IOW, there are only a large handful of experienced 5.1 mixers but it seems like the artist's (label?) like to keep the job in house (probably to save money, first mistake) and just try and find the most capable person in that circle.

IOW, I think they hired Adam Kasper to do the job, not because he was the most qualified, but because he had the most ties with the Seattle music groups, labels.

We are still in the infancy of music surround mixing IMO. The Motion picture studios have got it down to a science but for some reason the music industry never approaches them to do the job of the mixing. Kinda crazy (backward) if you ask me.

Yep, that 5.1 mix of Superunknown is the worst 5.1 mix I've ever heard. Can't believe he's getting another crack at it. Truly an AWFUL mix. Glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Yeah and I was being kind.

Back