Temple Of The Dog - Blu-Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah and I was being kind.

I listened to this again yesterday. The first couple times I listened to Superunknown, I disliked it so much, I put it away and didn't bother with it, untill yesterday. After the Temple of the Dog announcement, and learning it was going to be the same mixer, I decided to give it another go.

I actually like where the placement of instruments are mixed. They are discrete and they add to the presentation a lot. The problem for me is the overall crappy sound. No low end. Only mid bass. When you start cranking it, the upper end completely drains out the bass, or what little there is of it.

It reminds me of some of the crappy remasters that are compressed, but the disc has a dr10, which isn't too terrible. Could just be the way it was EQ'd. I don't know. Crappy EQ curve plus overall crappy sound equals a disc that sucks.

If you had a twenty band EQ, the disc sounds like they put the first four or five eq sliders all the way down, as far as they go, removing any low end, and took the remaining fifteen sliders, and slid them all the way up, distorting the upper end. It really is that poor.

I listened to this again yesterday. The first couple times I listened to Superunknown, I disliked it so much, I put it away and didn't bother with it, untill yesterday. After the Temple of the Dog announcement, and learning it was going to be the same mixer, I decided to give it another go.

I actually like where the placement of instruments are mixed. They are discrete and they add to the presentation a lot. The problem for me is the overall crappy sound. No low end. Only mid bass. When you start cranking it, the upper end completely drains out the bass, or what little there is of it.

It reminds me of some of the crappy remasters that are compressed, but the disc has a dr10, which isn't too terrible. Could just be the way it was EQ'd. I don't know. Crappy EQ curve plus overall crappy sound equals a disc that sucks.

Any chance Superunknown can be ripped and fixed or is the mastering so FUBARed that nothing can be done? Often it is possible to reverse bricking and imbalances some.

Any chance Superunknown can be ripped and fixed or is the mastering so FUBARed that nothing can be done? Often it is possible to reverse bricking and imbalances some.

I think the instrument placement makes it worth trying, and the music holds up very nicely. What programs would you recommend?

I think the instrument placement makes it worth trying, and the music holds up very nicely. What programs would you recommend?

Good things can be done in Audacity, with which I have some experience, though the work is very manual - for better or worse, no push-button mega-app to automagically fix things. I recently did some quick work on s single from the Jane's Addiction MC DVD and a fellow member agreed it sounded better.
I plan to give it more careful, methodical treatment this weekend and if it's enough of an improvement, to do the whole album.

I did a dynamics restoration on Tusk and it sounds loads better to my ears.

As long as bricking doesn't produce actual audible damage lots can be done to rebalance a mix and even restore dynamics.

I have been working on it, like I do with a lot of albums. I rip the discs, take out any tracks I do not want, open in Audacity and make them sound as good as I can. I have improved a few discs quite significantly. It is a bit of a pain in the arse, you have to then burn a disc, listen, make adjustments, then burn another.

I have been working on it, like I do with a lot of albums. I rip the discs, take out any tracks I do not want, open in Audacity and make them sound as good as I can. I have improved a few discs quite significantly. It is a bit of a pain in the arse, you have to then burn a disc, listen, make adjustments, then burn another.

I'm able to do flac on my oppo, which makes listening to tweaks much faster!

This is another reason why I like isolated vocals in the center. If they are too loud or quiet I can easily adjust.

I recently purchased a laptop, which I connect via HDMI to my OPPO... now I do all my tweaks and mixes from the "sweet spot" using Audacity, then make flacs (like you), and playback in foobar to listen immediately. So much better than my old method, which consisted of "make a tweak, load on flash drive, go to the other end of the house to listen, realize it sucks, go back to other end of house, and repeat". My wife has given up on me (all I've been doing for the past 10 days after work is making surround mixes!)

It looks like the Temple Of The Dog album is getting the super deluxe treatment that includes a 5.1 surround mix by Adam Kasper on Blu-ray Audio.
https://pearljam.com/shop/music/2016-temple-of-the-dog-super-deluxe-edition-presale

Similar to the Soundgarden reissue of Superunknown a few years back, no indication of a standalone release.

Praying for a great mix. Not sure what Adam Kasper's history or experience is mixing in surround.

are there any "more affordable" options for this?

lowest price I can find right now is £81.00
(which is a helluva lot for one 5.1 blu ray audio disc.. :eek: )

I got mine and playing it right now.
Definitely better than the Soundgarden mix!

Hopefully Kasper got the message, that Superunknown mix is a disaster.

I checked out a "leak" of the mp3s just to see what the compression was like on the stereo mix, sounds like perhaps Kasper may have got the message on the silly compression on Superunknown also as the mp3 log looks not bad at all.

foobar2000 1.3.2 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2016-09-30 07:36:18

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Temple Of The Dog / Temple Of The Dog (Deluxe Edition)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR9 0.00 dB -10.30 dB 6:24 01-Say Hello 2 Heaven (25th Anniversay Mix)
DR9 0.00 dB -9.81 dB 11:14 02-Reach Down (25th Anniversay Mix)
DR8 0.00 dB -9.82 dB 4:06 03-Hunger Strike (25th Anniversay Mix)
DR8 0.00 dB -9.03 dB 3:45 04-Pushin' Forward Back (25th Anniversay Mix)
DR9 0.00 dB -10.60 dB 5:04 05-Call Me A Dog (25th Anniversay Mix)
DR9 0.00 dB -11.45 dB 5:43 06-Times Of Trouble (25th Anniversay Mix)
DR8 0.00 dB -9.78 dB 4:10 07-Wooden Jesus (25th Anniversay Mix)
DR9 0.00 dB -10.26 dB 4:04 08-Your Savior (25th Anniversay Mix)
DR8 0.00 dB -10.05 dB 6:54 09-Four Walled World (25th Anniversay Mix)
DR9 0.00 dB -10.03 dB 3:52 10-All Night Thing (25th Anniversay Mix)

Number of tracks: 10
Official DR value: DR9

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bitrate: 320 kbps
Codec: MP3

The price is brutal, I'm considering buying it and then reselling it without the Blu-ray and avertised as such, take $40 off it or something and hope someone else doesn't give a toss about the BD.

To be fair, Soundgarden's albums aren't exactly written and recorded in a way that lends itself to translation to 5.1. The music tends to be noisy and cluttered. I love their entire catalogue, but was surprised to hear that there was going to be a 5.1 mix of one of their albums, for just that reason.

On the other hand, the Temple of the Dog album is alot more instrument and vocal oriented - with alot more space thanks to the fine work of great producer. I pre-ordered the set, should have it this weekend. Can't wait to hear it.

Also, someone earlier in this thread said that Superunknown is the worst 5.1 mix they've ever heard. I haven't heard it yet. Is it worse than Megadeth's Peace Sells...? Cuz that one's pretty horrific.

To be fair, Soundgarden's albums aren't exactly written and recorded in a way that lends itself to translation to 5.1. The music tends to be noisy and cluttered. I love their entire catalogue, but was surprised to hear that there was going to be a 5.1 mix of one of their albums, for just that reason.

On the other hand, the Temple of the Dog album is alot more instrument and vocal oriented - with alot more space thanks to the fine work of great producer. I pre-ordered the set, should have it this weekend. Can't wait to hear it.

Also, someone earlier in this thread said that Superunknown is the worst 5.1 mix they've ever heard. I haven't heard it yet. Is it worse than Megadeth's Peace Sells...? Cuz that one's pretty horrific.

similarly crap to the Megadeth imho.. actually a bit better.. a bit

(in its favour the Soundgarden 5.1 doesn't sound like it's been played back off a cassette tape, like that dreadful Megadeth DVD-A 5.1 mix.. :eek: )

Back