Temple Of The Dog - Blu-Ray Audio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, can't seem to take a picture. My problem with menu is, it moves very slowly and the graphics are white, when using remote the white graphics only get slightly brighter, not the way I would have done the t,.

OK folks....yeah, I'm buried at work...but I was working locally today and got a message that TOTD delivered on my doorstep. I came home for a moment, just so I could pop it in.

A couple quick comments...keep in mind I literally popped it in, cranked it up and sampled each song on the 5.1 blu-ray. So, this is far, far from a critical listen. But here are my first impressions....

1. Good lord, this thing JAMS. This is a flat out assault, drums are wicked loud...which I like.
2. Cornell's vocals are mostly locked center.
3. Not that discreet.
4. Regardless of that...I think this works. I like it.
5. There are moments (not that many I guess) where the surround sounds nifty.

So - mostly, this is a flat out rock release, it sounds great to me...and you really need to crank it. Why not? To my ears, I only noticed 1 song that sounded a bit funky. Vedders vocals were not center, but sort of floating around somewhere else. Also on that same song, the cymbals sounded a bit tinny. Other than that, I am quite pleased with my 20 minute listen.

Is this worth the $92 I spent on? Heck no...but now that I have absorbed the cost.....I think I'm gonna really enjoy this. To my ears, the 5.1 is the absolute best this release has ever sounded. I plan on revisiting this and turning the motha up more. Jam, it does...

RT asked for a menu shot...while not the best, here it is...

TOTD menu.jpg

Thank you for the reality check....!!!! :worthy

You can see now why I am griping and moaning about shelling out $99+ for the one 5.1 Blu-ray I actually want in this set.. we just have way way way too much cool stuff (some of it equally overpriced/expensive as this Temple Of The Dog set) coming down the pipe in the next couple of months, something has got to give or I will be living on the streets by Christmas..!! :D

I'm TOTALLY with you on that Adam. I just paid $6 for the original 1991 RBCD, treated it, loaded it into my Meridian SooLoos and wallah: Sounds simply amazing. With a DR of 12* it exceeds the new remaster [DR of 9) and with my SUPER mode engaged on my pre/pro it swirls around the room.

BTW, I just received the MIRAGE box set (brand new) for $50 delivered and Marillion's 5.0 SACD F.E.A.R. ($15) and am enjoying the hell out of them and with the money saved by NOT buying the TOTD boxset, I'll buy the two Hendrix AP SACDs.

*http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/list?artist=temple+of+the+dog&album=

With the SPECTACULAR NEW Tales from Topographic Ocean 4 disc set (including the Steve Wilson remixed 5.1 BD~A) going for approximately $25, perhaps a REALITY CHECK is in order!

Ralph, you will love the Marillion 5.1, and the two Hendrix, good choice on your part. I am going to listen to F.E.A.R. Again tonight, love it. Listening now to Tales and as lovely and well mixed as it is, the new music 5.1's are trumping the old music. Coldplay and Marillion are at top shelf status. Temple is old but it is just such great work it really stands up in 5.1.

Ralph, you will love the Marillion 5.1, and the two Hendrix, good choice on your part. I am going to listen to F.E.A.R. Again tonight, love it. Listening now to Tales and as lovely and well mixed as it is, the new music 5.1's are trumping the old music. Coldplay and Marillion are at top shelf status. Temple is old but it is just such great work it really stands up in 5.1.

Thanks for your valuable input, Mark.

The problem I do have with TOTD is that in 2016 and utilizing the amazing BD~A technology, remixer KASPAR couldn't come up with DR Scores higher than an average of 9 especially since the 'outstanding' 1991 redbook has a DR of 12. What's wrong with that picture???????? IMO, BD~A which exceeds the resolution of analogue tape by a wide margin should've nailed the 'full resolution' of the TOTD master tapes and IMO, Kasper is NO Steve Wilson....that's for sure!

I'm sure if you heard the TOTD (DR12 RBCD) on my Meridian system you'd agree! NO exaggeration: it's OUTSTANDING!

Thanks for your valuable input, Mark.

The problem I do have with TOTD is that in 2016 and utilizing the amazing BD~A technology, remixer KASPAR couldn't come up with DR Scores higher than an average of 9 especially since the 'outstanding' 1991 redbook has a DR of 12. What's wrong with that picture???????? IMO, BD~A which exceeds the resolution of analogue tape by a wide margin should've nailed the 'full resolution' of the TOTD master tapes and IMO, Kasper is NO Steve Wilson....that's for sure!

I'm sure if you heard the TOTD (DR12 RBCD) on my Meridian system you'd agree! NO exaggeration: it's OUTSTANDING!
Yes, you are correct with Temple if we are talking stereo. I have the original 25 year old RBCD, I am very familiar with it. I agree with you 100%' but, I am talking 5.1. If you are like me who knows this music intimately, than even a poor surround, I'm exaggerating is better than a stereo. This 5.1 really gets it on. I'm more of a hard rock guy and Tales blows compared with Temple. Why? Because I like the music better. It's like Laura Nyro, I heard super good, but I have no interest in listening.

Yes, you are correct with Temple if we are talking stereo. I have the original 25 year old RBCD, I am very familiar with it. I agree with you 100%' but, I am talking 5.1. If you are like me who knows this music intimately, than even a poor surround, I'm exaggerating is better than a stereo. This 5.1 really gets it on. I'm more of a hard rock guy and Tales blows compared with Temple. Why? Because I like the music better. It's like Laura Nyro, I heard super good, but I have no interest in listening.

If they [VERY doubtful] release a stand alone BD~A down the road, maybe I'll bite [as I'm sure will a lot of other QQ posters] but I'm NOT that desperate for a low DR BD~A bells and whistles giftset [including a low DR9 RBCD 'remaster'] at this time. And it's not that I can't afford it.......it's based solely on principle. And I have enough surround music and movies to start my own 24 hour a day, 365 day a year radio/TV station.

And I really wish they'd remix Superunknown as I've heard that 5.1 remix is a REAL disaster. Do you have that one, Mark? LOVE that album!

And as far as picking and choosing your music........that's the smart way to do it. Why buy an album you won't listen to for the sake of buying it just because it's in surround.....Makes NO sense.

Sorry, can't seem to take a picture. My problem with menu is, it moves very slowly and the graphics are white, when using remote the white graphics only get slightly brighter, not the way I would have done the t,.

I have to say, after looking at Gene's picture, I don't see a single thing wrong with that menu screen.
All of the contents of the disc are laid out on one screen to see, there's colored button choices for switching between audio streams (this is something that must become a standard of all Blu-Ray audio discs), and there's also an option to turn off the visual menu when playing the album.
Looks like a job well done as far as I'm concerned! :)

I have to say, after looking at Gene's picture, I don't see a single thing wrong with that menu screen.
All of the contents of the disc are laid out on one screen to see, there's colored button choices for switching between audio streams (this is something that must become a standard of all Blu-Ray audio discs), and there's also an option to turn off the visual menu when playing the album.

LOL! I think it's fine as well. When I said in my post that it's not the greatest, I was talking about quality of picture. :) I struggle getting good shots of TV screens.

LOL! I think it's fine as well. When I said in my post that it's not the greatest, I was talking about quality of picture. :) I struggle getting good shots of TV screens.

I know that, Gene. I was responding to marpow saying that he hated the menu screen.

Yes, the menu is perfect in layout, even has the video of Hunger Strike which is not shown on the rear cover, which a lot of people questioned. My problem is when I use my remote it works slowly and it is hard for me to see the white vs the bold white. I have 4K tv . Let's just leave it as my problem and not others. Now that I have used it a lot I can get through it better, even though I still don't like it, but I love the disc.

If they [VERY doubtful] release a stand alone BD~A down the road, maybe I'll bite [as I'm sure will a lot of other QQ posters] but I'm NOT that desperate for a low DR BD~A bells and whistles giftset [including a low DR9 RBCD 'remaster'] at this time. And it's not that I can't afford it.......it's based solely on principle. And I have enough surround music and movies to start my own 24 hour a day, 365 day a year radio/TV station.

And I really wish they'd remix Superunknown as I've heard that 5.1 remix is a REAL disaster. Do you have that one, Mark? LOVE that album!

And as far as picking and choosing your music........that's the smart way to do it. Why buy an album you won't listen to for the sake of buying it just because it's in surround.....Makes NO sense.

Ralph, the only Superunkown I have is stereo download FLAC 24/96. I never bought the surround because I heard terrible. I have just purchased, Bad Motorfinger, hopefully it will be good.

I saw this box set at Grimey's today, and I was surprised at how small it was! I thought the size of the box would be much bigger than it actually was.

Adam Kasper should be ashamed of the way he buried Eddie Vedder's CO-LEAD vocals in the 5.1 mix of Hunger Strike. It's like he had never heard this song before, doesn't have a properly calibrated surround system, or is incompetent... all of which are inexcusable.

As much as I want all of my favorite grunge-era albums to get a 5.1 reissue, please let someone qualified handle the surround mix. I am terrified of what this bozo would do to the Pearl Jam catalog.

LennonCobain said:
As much as I want all of my favorite grunge-era albums to get a 5.1 reissue, please let someone qualified handle the surround mix. I am terrified of what this bozo [Adam Kasper] would do to the Pearl Jam catalog.[/QUOTE]

Kasper would probably turn it into PURE JELLY!

Back