Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box Set - Ask Andy About Technical Details

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rontoon

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
pinkfloyd.com has been displaying images of early concert posters on the introductory page to their website. I wonder if this is a teaser of the early compilation release that Andy commented on a while back?

pinkfloyd.com has been displaying images of early concert posters on the introductory page to their website. I wonder if this is a teaser of the early compilation release that Andy commented on a while back?

Probably so. AFAIK, this new release is supposed to encompass material from the first two albums, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "A Saucerful of Secrets".
If there's high-res surround included, it's a must buy for me, otherwise it'll be a streaming release for me. :)

Probably so. AFAIK, this new release is supposed to encompass material from the first two albums, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" and "A Saucerful of Secrets".
If there's high-res surround included, it's a must buy for me, otherwise it'll be a streaming release for me. :)

I highly doubt that this would constitute a surround release. Not gonna happen.

I'm not sure now if the release will only be limited to material related to the first two albums. The second image on Facebook I think it's dated around 1969, looks very similar to the Massed Gadgets of Auximenes posters that I know (although I reckon I've never seen this particular image before, but the press like machine and the ears are in some other pieces of artwork).
Ron, can you date exactly the second image?

I'm thrilled by it! I just hope that it's fairly comprehensive.

Comprehensive or not, a single live recording from Syd's line-up will do for me!
If it covers up to 1969 it would be great to have The Man and the Journey suites and the uncut Electric Moo. All that assuming the teasers are pointing to a live release and not anything else...

The image is from The Man and the Journey tour programs from the '69 tour. And I wouldn't get too hopeful for a live release from that era.

HOLY CRAP! IMAGE POSTED IN THE PINKFLOYD.COM SERVER!!!!

Floyd-OG.jpg

Can you comment, Andy???

Pity the low resolution of the image! I can see See Emily Play and Apples and Oranges singles and a couple of CDs or DVDs, one more 45 and many posters.
Were you able to spot something else in the original picture? I cannot see it on PF's website anymore

Crazy thought: As the box apparently covers up to 1972 and all the vaults are opened, will there be a slight chance of getting Meddle's quad? That'd be a quick win for the set!

Ok, ok, I'm daydreaming...

Pity the low resolution of the image! I can see See Emily Play and Apples and Oranges singles and a couple of CDs or DVDs, one more 45 and many posters.
Were you able to spot something else in the original picture? I cannot see it on PF's website anymore

I don't see anything either...

Crazy thought: As the box apparently covers up to 1972 and all the vaults are opened, will there be a slight chance of getting Meddle's quad? That'd be a quick win for the set!

At the very least, I hope the Quad mix of "Atom Heart Mother" will be included, cause if it's not included now, I don't think it will ever be… :violin

If this is a sort of 'emptying the cupboards' sort of release covering those years, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the quad mixes of Atom Heart Mother and Meddle to be part of the release, either as a BluRay (a la the Dark Side and WYWH sets) or as standalone SACD's, or both.

This upcoming release begs another question:
If Pink Floyd are releasing a box set covering everything from 1965-1972, and they have already released box sets for "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" (1973 and 1975, respectively), what's the chance that they will release a 40th anniversary box set next year for "Animals"? ;)

This upcoming release begs another question:
If Pink Floyd are releasing a box set covering everything from 1965-1972, and they have already released box sets for "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" (1973 and 1975, respectively), what's the chance that they will release a 40th anniversary box set next year for "Animals"? ;)

I really hope so but somehow doubt it. :(

In 1982 David Gilmour was given a copy of the live broadcast of Theatre des Champs-Elysées, Elysée, Paris, France from 1/23/70. That would be on my wishlist for this set.

In a way I wish it WAS limited to 1965 > 1968, as that would offer a greater opportunity to scour the material for those years.

This is a very exciting release for me, and I would buy it even if the whole thing was mono. Any surround content would be a bonus. I know that Guthrie is aware of the existence of the quad Echoes at least, if not all of Meddle, as I handed him the documentation personally. Whether he ever did look for the tapes is another question. My hunch is that this set will be mono & stereo only, so it would be a delight if I am proven wrong.

Actually, I have gotten carried away with this discussion, but I wonder if maybe a new thread would not be more appropriate for this sort of conjecture. Sorry 'bout that, Andy!

Back