Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box Set - Ask Andy About Technical Details

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I have gotten carried away with this discussion, but I wonder if maybe a new thread would not be more appropriate for this sort of conjecture. Sorry 'bout that, Andy!

I agree. Sorry to derail this thread but Andy mentioned working on this a while back.

Ok, I haven't said anything if anyone asks. This particular release is just what I said. However, the contract with EMI is now expiring, so they get the rights to all their recordings back. On that basis, there will be a 'filling in of the gaps' of some of the earlier stuff. Really can't go into details except to say that I'm just starting on this, doing some restoration. Look forward (if you like this sort of thing) to late 2016.

Andy, are you allowed to fill us in any more with the official posting today of 1965-1972 box, priced at $700(OUCH) but has quad and 5.1 content.
I am so hoping there is a surround only release from this time period thats within reach of what we can actually afford to pay for a music release.
Did you work on this project then, any information would be awesome to get.

Andy, are you allowed to fill us in any more with the official posting today of 1965-1972 box, priced at $700(OUCH) but has quad and 5.1 content.
I am so hoping there is a surround only release from this time period thats within reach of what we can actually afford to pay for a music release.
Did you work on this project then, any information would be awesome to get.

Yes Andy - what was your involvement, and in particular, were you involved in the new 5.1 mixes?

Guys, don't pester Andy about this yet.
He's probably not allowed to say anything at all about this until the official rollout happens (which I hear will be tomorrow) so just be patient and let him come back around to QQ when he's good and ready to.

If this is a sort of 'emptying the cupboards' sort of release covering those years, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the quad mixes of Atom Heart Mother and Meddle to be part of the release, either as a BluRay (a la the Dark Side and WYWH sets) or as standalone SACD's, or both.

I'm told-you-so'ing so hard right now! In your face you 'I highly doubt that this would constitute a surround release. Not gonna happen.' mothertruckers!

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the quad mixes of Atom Heart Mother and Meddle to be part of the release, either as a BluRay

Yes, they're on it. A new Pompeii mix too (which is surround, although not exactly bombasticly so, as it's a 'gig').

Glad to see you back here, Andy. May I ask who created the new 5.1 mixes for Meddle and Obscured by Cloud? Hopefully it was you!

Glad to see you back here, Andy. May I ask who created the new 5.1 mixes for Meddle and Obscured by Cloud? Hopefully it was you!

I think this is the point where I have to stop commenting. Things are not what they seem.

woo!! this is all excellent news :D

You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Jordan, and I have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Andy, if we can ask now... We're getting a 2016 stereo remix for OBC and the original Echoes in quad. Do you know why OBC has been remixed and why wasn't the rest of Meddle quad released?
But more important, what do you think about this quad version?
You must have had really a good time compiling this box!

Andy, if we can ask now... We're getting a 2016 stereo remix for OBC and the original Echoes in quad. Do you know why OBC has been remixed and why wasn't the rest of Meddle quad released?
But more important, what do you think about this quad version?
You must have had really a good time compiling this box!

OK, still got to schtum about somethings.

Rest of Meddle quad doesn't exist, never did. Only Echoes was done. It's a wildly inaccurate mix! Doesn't have the correct content in it

Rest of Meddle quad doesn't exist, never did. Only Echoes was done. It's a wildly inaccurate mix! Doesn't have the correct content in it

Ok, ok, I'm now even more intrigued!

Let me try with Pompeii's mix, you said before that we should not expect any bombastic surround... Is it mixed like Pulse (mostly everything on the fronts, ambience on the rears) or does it resemble more to the "unreleased" quad from the theatrical release?

Thanks!

Let me try with Pompeii's mix, you said before that we should not expect any bombastic surround... Is it mixed like Pulse (mostly everything on the fronts, ambience on the rears) or does it resemble more to the "unreleased" quad from the theatrical release?

Thanks!

It's as if the band are in a U shape around you, DG to your left, Rick to your right, bass a bit right, vocals 'out in the room' a bit, pretty much as they are standing if you (the listener) were in front of Nick

Thanks!

It's as if the band are in a U shape around you, DG to your left, Rick to your right, bass a bit right, vocals 'out in the room' a bit, pretty much as they are standing if you (the listener) were in front of Nick

"Rest of Meddle quad doesn't exist, never did. Only Echoes was done." Doesn't this destroy one of our most long held and cherished myths?? :( Oi vay. Look forward to what I can afford.....I'm sure someone will point out to me what are the "Extras and Continuations" (or whatever the term was...) that are exclusive to the box set and won't be re-issued as stand alone. I couldn't quite sus that out on the PF/Amazon webpage.

My apologies, probably more appropriate in the PF thread, but it started as Andy's quote.

"Rest of Meddle quad doesn't exist, never did. Only Echoes was done." Doesn't this destroy one of our most long held and cherished myths?? :( Oi vay. Look forward to what I can afford.....I'm sure someone will point out to me what are the "Extras and Continuations" (or whatever the term was...) that are exclusive to the box set and won't be re-issued as stand alone. I couldn't quite sus that out on the PF/Amazon webpage.

Here
http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/pdfs/Complete_Early_Years_Box_Track_Listing.pdf

Gives you everything you want to know

Back