Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box Set - Ask Andy About Technical Details

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, still got to schtum about somethings.

"Rest of Meddle quad doesn't exist, never did. Only Echoes was done." Doesn't this destroy one of our most long held and cherished myths??

In fact the myth of a complete Meddle quad was just based on presumption. The report that started the myth stated that a quad mix of Echoes was performed for press around the time of the release of Meddle:

"17 October 1971 — A quad mix album of “Echoes” is played for press at the Roundhouse, but the quad mix is never released."

Never until 11/11/16!

There is some mention of the quad mix in the Shine On box, but I do not have that so I cannot comment.

In production notes published here: http://floydlyrics.blogspot.com/2010/03/meddle.html

there is reference to a quad mix session, but it is probably just the Echoes mix prepared for the press. I have never seen a source stating emphatically that the whole of Meddle was mixed in quad. It was a hope, not a verified source.

It's as if the band are in a U shape around you, DG to your left, Rick to your right, bass a bit right, vocals 'out in the room' a bit, pretty much as they are standing if you (the listener) were in front of Nick

Andy - sorry if it's already been asked on another thread perhaps, but is there DTS playback available on the DVDs rather than Dolby-only? Thanks

Andy - sorry if it's already been asked on another thread perhaps, but is there DTS playback available on the DVDs rather than Dolby-only? Thanks

Yes I believe so. It'll be the same as the immersion set, I forget TBH!

Wow!

View attachment 26831
The stuff from Essen was recently shown on German TV Rockpalast. Although I cannot say if it was complete.
Please note the typo in the town name.

Another typo is the name of the town "Stuttgart", as can be seen here:
View attachment 26832

Please do correct.

-Kristian

Attachments

• PF Essen.jpg
    PF Essen.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 185
  • PF Stuttgart.jpg
    PF Stuttgart.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 191
Having read the thread, and having blown some £'s on the Post Office's first day covers and these sets, for no other reason than its Pink Floyd, I think I'm going to have to raid the piggy bank!
View attachment 26833
Moldy bread and water to eat beckons................. but hey I could do with losing some lbs by spending more £'s

Attachments

• CCF28016_0001 (720x1024).jpg
    CCF28016_0001 (720x1024).jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 198
I think this is the point where I have to stop commenting. Things are not what they seem.

Andy, loved your response, very mysterious....

well now we know the early leak was sadly incorrect about a couple of extra 5.1's that are not part of this set....

again huge thanks for the work you have done in 5.1 till now(hoping more in the future as well), I'm a huge fan of your work.

When you can would love to hear any tidbits that you are allowed to share about this release(PF 1965-1972 box).

peter

Yes, they're on it. A new Pompeii mix too (which is surround, although not exactly bombasticly so, as it's a 'gig').

Could you possibly clear up when Pompaii was mixed for this set and if you mixed it? If your still under a timeframe where you must remain silent, I apologize in advance for asking. Thanks.

Could you possibly clear up when Pompaii was mixed for this set and if you mixed it? If your still under a timeframe where you must remain silent, I apologize in advance for asking. Thanks.

That's OK, it was mixed by me this year. One minor shame is that there is actually an alternative version of "Eugene" but the deal that was done was for the stuff in the film only, and it's audio only, so it's not included. "Mlle Nobbs" is also not there, I did mix it but no one seems to want it! (can't imagine why)

That's OK, it was mixed by me this year. One minor shame is that there is actually an alternative version of "Eugene" but the deal that was done was for the stuff in the film only, and it's audio only, so it's not included. "Mlle Nobbs" is also not there, I did mix it but no one seems to want it! (can't imagine why)

Andy. Is the 5.1 Pompeii mix audio only or with the videos from the film? Thanks!

that sounds like something that could be a Blu Ray Easter Egg

that sounds like something that could be a Blu Ray Easter Egg

It is audio + video.

It's all to do with the deal really, PF don't own the film (that's with Universal) so the rights were limited. Can't be audio only & can only be the film stuff. FWIW the version of Eugene used in the film is much better than the other take. IMO it's maybe the best version of that song they did. I love 'false peak' before it settles back down for Rog to do the "careful with that axe Eugene" line.

Other minor thing you miss out on is that Saucerful is longer in reality, it's cut down for the film, but it's just more of the DG & Rick noodling bit, so nothing too fabulous.

Mlle Nobbs... it didn't really get any better by being remixed.

First let me add my own thanks to not just your contributions here, but your work in general (and your solo albums!).

Visually speaking, is the Pompeii stuff taken from the recent 2K master done a few years ago and shown at a few film festivals?

It's all to do with the deal really, PF don't own the film (that's with Universal) so the rights were limited. Can't be audio only & can only be the film stuff. FWIW the version of Eugene used in the film is much better than the other take. IMO it's maybe the best version of that song they did. I love 'false peak' before it settles back down for Rog to do the "careful with that axe Eugene" line.

Other minor thing you miss out on is that Saucerful is longer in reality, it's cut down for the film, but it's just more of the DG & Rick noodling bit, so nothing too fabulous.

Mlle Nobbs... it didn't really get any better by being remixed.

Thanks, Andy. I'm assuming from the promo that Pompeii has been cropped to 16x9. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Don't know the source for the pics, Lana's territory. I just get sent a quicktime to work to, which is indeed 16:9. It's a re-edit of the director's cut. I know nothing (as ever)

(Speculation mode on)

What if the 5.1 mixes for OBC and Meddle were done and the original press release was correct and by some strange decision they didn't make the final cut and were shelved at the very last minute?
This will partially explain why we have a new stereo for OBC, that maybe was liked by everyone.
If Mademoiselle Nobs was left out of Pompeii, maybe same election was made with the 5.1s.
If this crazy idea is true, there might be hopes for the surrounds to be added back to the box or released in the future. Ok, I guess the boxes should be in production already with no time for changes, but one can hope, can't I?

(speculation mode off)

Back