Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box Set - Ask Andy About Technical Details

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Speculation mode on)

What if the 5.1 mixes for OBC and Meddle were done and the original press release was correct and by some strange decision they didn't make the final cut and were shelved at the very last minute?
This will partially explain why we have a new stereo for OBC, that maybe was liked by everyone.
If Mademoiselle Nobs was left out of Pompeii, maybe same election was made with the 5.1s.
If this crazy idea is true, there might be hopes for the surrounds to be added back to the box or released in the future. Ok, I guess the boxes should be in production already with no time for changes, but one can hope, can't I?

(speculation mode off)

Your speculation mode is registering at '11'. If you could bring it down to around a '7' (or even better a '5') that would be great. ;)
(Translation: I don't think 5.1 mixes of either album were ever prepared. Some language just got screwed up between the production and marketing department in that premature webstore listing, which happens.)

Your speculation mode is registering at '11'. If you could bring it down to around a '7' (or even better a '5') that would be great. ;)
(Translation: I don't think 5.1 mixes of either album were ever prepared. Some language just got screwed up between the production and marketing department in that premature webstore listing, which happens.)

You're right, I have spent the last day and night speculating why my car was stolen and how to get it back and this is clearly affecting my logical reasoning.
But you can't deny that even at level 11 it was a nice (and hopeless) speculation ;)

(Speculation mode on)

What if the 5.1 mixes for OBC and Meddle were done and the original press release was correct and by some strange decision they didn't make the final cut and were shelved at the very last minute?
This will partially explain why we have a new stereo for OBC, that maybe was liked by everyone.
If Mademoiselle Nobs was left out of Pompeii, maybe same election was made with the 5.1s.
If this crazy idea is true, there might be hopes for the surrounds to be added back to the box or released in the future. Ok, I guess the boxes should be in production already with no time for changes, but one can hope, can't I?

(speculation mode off)

It's all to do with the deal really, PF don't own the film (that's with Universal) so the rights were limited. Can't be audio only & can only be the film stuff. FWIW the version of Eugene used in the film is much better than the other take. IMO it's maybe the best version of that song they did. I love 'false peak' before it settles back down for Rog to do the "careful with that axe Eugene" line.

Other minor thing you miss out on is that Saucerful is longer in reality, it's cut down for the film, but it's just more of the DG & Rick noodling bit, so nothing too fabulous.

Mlle Nobbs... it didn't really get any better by being remixed.

Some people have noticed that Echoes was shortened for the 2003 Maben director's cut, compared to the original release. (however the Maben release also had as a bonus the hour-long original concert footage, by itself without any of the studio footage that was added in 1974, in its original aspect ratio). And of course Maben added a bunch of pathetic-looking computer animations of planets and such, and reformatted it to widescreen, chopping off top and bottom video.

Last edited:
Fans, you might want to research that Ian Richardson quote from "House of Cards". It's interesting. Not sure what to make of it, but it put a smile on my face.

****EDIT EDIT EDIT****

With a day to think about this, I'm really gutted at the possibility that there are Meddle and OBC 5.1 mixes that might never see the light of day.

Can someone give us some hope? Because my smile from yesterday has become a frown.

Last edited:
Well, call me suicide, but I've sent a very very polite mail to One Fifteen asking about the situation. Let's see if a get any response...

(Mr Loasby manages David and Syd recordings, so he may well have nothing to say about this release)

Edit: I tried also Paul Sinclair at SDE, he replied back saying he'll try to get some info on the subject

Well, call me suicide, but I've sent a very very polite mail to One Fifteen asking about the situation. Let's see if a get any response...

(Mr Loasby manages David and Syd recordings, so he may well have nothing to say about this release)

Edit: I tried also Paul Sinclair at SDE, he replied back saying he'll try to get some info on the subject

Thank you for doing all that.

Hi Andy, easy question this time. In Povey's book he mentions that Nothings part 14 is just a basic backing track with drums&bass. Is it what ended up on the compilation? Thanks!

Hi Andy, easy question this time. In Povey's book he mentions that Nothings part 14 is just a basic backing track with drums&bass. Is it what ended up on the compilation? Thanks!

No it's all 4 of them. It's a prototype for the 'duggidy duggidy' bit of Echoes, but rather different, not least of all by being in a major key

How much improvement audio-wise has there been given regarding the non-Pompeii live videos? I think the KQED show for instance was broadcast in mono. I've seen some of the other videos on YouTube before and they sounded of varying qualities.

Andy,

I'm not totally over concerned about not getting MEDDLE in surround as we will get most of this album with "Pompeii"and of course maybe down the road sometime (the complete Meddle-some).
But I do have a question regarding the Early Years tapes.Besides "Echoes" in quad was there any LIVE QUAD Concert recordings you could not use ? Primarily thinking Electric Moo years to 72 ?

How much improvement audio-wise has there been given regarding the non-Pompeii live videos? I think the KQED show for instance was broadcast in mono. I've seen some of the other videos on YouTube before and they sounded of varying qualities.

Not that much really. The source is the source & there's no getting away from that. A lot would be optical film soundtrack, which is pretty shitty. I can EQ it and so on, and de-noise it a bit if needs be, but you can't drag back lost resolution. KQED is still mono.

A lot of people think the PF must be sitting on a vast vault of stuff, but the truth is far from that. There are odd bits and pieces scattered far & wide, which they didn't own. Part of the reason this project has been so long in germination (see what I did there!) is needing to buy the stuff off all the various people, which is endless negotiation.

Andy,

I'm not totally over concerned about not getting MEDDLE in surround as we will get most of this album with "Pompeii"and of course maybe down the road sometime (the complete Meddle-some).
But I do have a question regarding the Early Years tapes.Besides "Echoes" in quad was there any LIVE QUAD Concert recordings you could not use ? Primarily thinking Electric Moo years to 72 ?

As per the post above, there is an assumption that PF are sitting on a vast library of old stuff. This is really everything that was available, the cupboard is bare! (this is always the point where some smartarse pops up saying that they know a guy with a bootleg that we haven't used, well should have got in contact then! Coulda made some money!, ya snooze ya lose)

Hello Andy. One related and one completely unrelated question.
Regarding the vaults, is there anything still worthy releasing for the 72-82 period or was everything released in the immersion sets?
And here it goes the second one:will you also be mixing the new Pompeii gig? With the full band, will you still go for a more innovative surround approach?

Thanks and have a nice weekend, here in Spain we have a bank holiday on Monday!

Hello Andy. One related and one completely unrelated question.
Regarding the vaults, is there anything still worthy releasing for the 72-82 period or was everything released in the immersion sets?
And here it goes the second one:will you also be mixing the new Pompeii gig? With the full band, will you still go for a more innovative surround approach?

Thanks and have a nice weekend, here in Spain we have a bank holiday on Monday!

Don't know what there is for that period. Obviously DSOM & WYWH are done.

IF there is a mix of any of DG's shows, assuming audio-visual, for me it has to fit in with what you're seeing, so it's pretty much stage up the front, audience around you. Just don't think you have the licence that exists with studio albums.

...assuming audio-visual, for me it has to fit in with what you're seeing, so it's pretty much stage up the front, audience around you. Just don't think you have the licence that exists with studio albums.

Steven Wilson, Steely Dan and Big Big Train, among others would beg to differ. Their musically discrete concerts are among favorites, mix-wise. Besides that, weren't some old-school PF shows actually quadraphonic?

Back