Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box Set - Ask Andy About Technical Details

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know what there is for that period. Obviously DSOM & WYWH are done.

One would assume (and hope) that the next archival box set would be one released next year covering "Animals" for its 40th anniversary, and after that, all that remains would be the 80s albums, and I'm not sure how much enthusiasm there is (if any) from PF to cover those albums in any great detail.

Steven Wilson, Steely Dan and Big Big Train, among others would beg to differ. Their musically discrete concerts are among favorites, mix-wise. Besides that, weren't some old-school PF shows actually quadraphonic?

Andy, besides the ones mentioned if you have never you need to checkout Elliot Scheiner's wonderful mix for Roy Orbison-Black and White Night,came out in dvd,bluray,sacd and dvd audio, such an immersive wonderful mix in 5.1, it goes against what people would think a concert mix should be like as you explained band in front and audience in back but this is what 5.1 should be about taking some chances and the reward definitely goes out to the listener as you hear so many more details in the music and singing that you would not get in just mixing the band to front speakers only.

As mentioned Pink Floyd were some of the innovator's of doing surround even in a live concert format, to me its a natural to have Pink Floyd live or David Gilmour live to be done in an immersive surround mix as they were one of the pioneers of taking music into new directions.

peter

From my point of view, it's all a matter of taste and a personal decision of the artist and the mixing engineer. Even though I like Anesthetize or Stone and Steel, I'm perfectly alright with concerts mixed in the traditional way. PF did do quad live in the past, but past is past and we must respect his (and Andy's) will.
We're really lucky to have him in the forum and I would not dare to question any of his mixing choices.
Also remember we're getting Pompeii done with a different approach, let's not forget about that!
I just had the feeling that some of the comments were a bit pushing too much, apologies if I misread you and acted like a Mod when I'm not one.

From my point of view, it's all a matter of taste and a personal decision of the artist and the mixing engineer. Even though I like Anesthetize or Stone and Steel, I'm perfectly alright with concerts mixed in the traditional way. PF did do quad live in the past, but past is past and we must respect his (and Andy's) will.
We're really lucky to have him in the forum and I would not dare to question any of his mixing choices.
Also remember we're getting Pompeii done with a different approach, let's not forget about that!
I just had the feeling that some of the comments were a bit pushing too much, apologies if I misread you and acted like a Mod when I'm not one.

I agree - and if neither David or Andy believe in that way of mixing live music, especially when the video is involved, then there's no point in continuing with the back and forth...

Cesar, great post. I have huge respect for Andy's mixing abilities and it is an amazing privlidge to have Andy come on here and interact with us.
I was not meaning to be pushy just that if Andy had never heard some of the other mixing approaches for doing live it might give him some other ideas, thats all I meant by my post.
Whatever Andy chooses to do, I know we are in good hands as first and foremost what I love about Andy's mixes is that he takes great care in making the music shine as bright as possible.

peter

Scheiner's mix of Black & White Night, whilst immersive, does not represent very well what is seen on the screen at times: I can see playing and singing which either cannot be heard or is mixed very, very low indeed.

On another note, I read Nick Mason's autobiog recently: I'm not even a major fan of the band, probably Dark Side and Wish You Were Here, (though I played Echoes in full on hospital radio years ago! [vinyl, Canadian pressing, fact fans]) and it was such an easy book to get into. Plenty of dry wit, and clear affection from Nick for Roger, and Andy has clearly been a trusted member of the team for some time. What's also fascinating, and slightly alarming, is a time line of various historical events alongside significant Floyd events at the end of the book. A recommended read and, in a tenuous link back to the subject, would make interesting reading alongside the box.

Thanks for posting here, Andy. Did you read the book?

I was not meaning to be pushy just that if Andy had never heard some of the other mixing approaches for doing live it might give him some other ideas, thats all I meant by my post.
peter

Exactly. Why all the hand-wringing just because some of us wish to share a broader perspective with a mixing engineer? If he doesn't like the point of view he can ignore it. Good grief.

Exactly. Why all the hand-wringing just because some of us wish to share a broader perspective with a mixing engineer? If he doesn't like the point of view he can ignore it. Good grief.

I think you guys are right - there should be a fair exchange of ideas, and sharing of the other perspective regarding live surround mixing. There shouldn't be any hand-wringing. However, it was seeming obvious to me that he didn't see it the same way. His response to you, e.b., pretty much ended it. What do you think?

I think you guys are right - there should be a fair exchange of ideas, and sharing of the other perspective regarding live surround mixing. There shouldn't be any hand-wringing. However, it was seeming obvious to me that he didn't see it the same way. His response to you, e.b., pretty much ended it. What do you think?

Hmmm. Well, I'm not sure what to make of his response. I too get the sense that he didn't exactly appreciate my thoughts, but whether that means his comment should have the power to "end it" I don't know.
I absolutely agree with the idea that QQ members should be respectful of pros that stop by, but as supporters of their work we deserve respect too.
I chimed in with my $0.02 and if he got something out of that, great. If not, great. In my own life I have, eventually, benefited from ideas that once annoyed me and I had rejected.

One would assume (and hope) that the next archival box set would be one released next year covering "Animals" for its 40th anniversary, and after that, all that remains would be the 80s albums, and I'm not sure how much enthusiasm there is (if any) from PF to cover those albums in any great detail.
There has been talk about making A Momentary Lapse of Reason less 80 sounding. Would be great as it is a nice album. i listen to it more often than the Final Cut for example. AMLOR in 5.1 would be nice. TFC too btw :)

Hmmm. Well, I'm not sure what to make of his response. I too get the sense that he didn't exactly appreciate my thoughts, but whether that means his comment should have the power to "end it" I don't know.
I absolutely agree with the idea that QQ members should be respectful of pros that stop by, but as supporters of their work we deserve respect too.
I chimed in with my $0.02 and if he got something out of that, great. If not, great. In my own life I have, eventually, benefited from ideas that once annoyed me and I had rejected.

At least wait until you/me/us actually hear the new AJ mixes of Pompaii (origional and 2016 version) before you/me/us start any critique on this thread. Start your own thread about how live mixes should be done and reference any live mixes that you have heard. Way of topic on THIS thread at THIS point in time.

There has been talk about making A Momentary Lapse of Reason less 80 sounding. Would be great as it is a nice album. i listen to it more often than the Final Cut for example. AMLOR in 5.1 would be nice. TFC too btw :)

Tampa Stadium AMLOR tour, absolutely the best sounding concert ever imo. Multichannel madness!

As per the post above, there is an assumption that PF are sitting on a vast library of old stuff. This is really everything that was available, the cupboard is bare! (this is always the point where some smartarse pops up saying that they know a guy with a bootleg that we haven't used, well should have got in contact then! Coulda made some money!, ya snooze ya lose)

There is one guy in particular who posted that hes not buying the box because he knows that "someone" has a better version of the 1967 BBC session that was used. LOL.

There's a list circulating of things that people claim to "know to exist" including:

Interstellar Overdrive (1966 Demo)
Arnold Layne (Stereo Remix)
Candy & A Currant Bun (Stereo Remix)
Untitled (Sunshine)
Vegetable Man (alternate takes)
Reaction In G (Studio version)
Bike (RM1, alternate vocals/lyrics, no harmonium)
Lucifer Sam (RM1, early version)
Chapter 24 (alt take 5)
Pow R Toc H (RM1, alt mix)
The Gnome (alt mix)
Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk (alt mix)
Interstellar Overdrive (rough mix, take 2 unedited)
Paintbox (early version)
Remember a Day (alternate mono mix)
Saucerful Of Secrets (mono LP)

Even if they do exist who would know better know what shape the original tapes are in than you? Besides, the title of this release isn't "Pink Floyd: The Complete Early Years (including every alternative take and demo)"

Last edited:
There is one guy in particular who posted that hes not buying the box because he knows that "someone" has a better version of the 1967 BBC session that was used. LOL.

Yeah but how would he know his source is better unless a) he knows exactly which source the band used and/or b) he already has a copy of the new set to compare against his 'better version'? :confused:

Back