Pink Floyd - The Early Years Box Set - Ask Andy About Technical Details

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not buying the box because of that is, indeed, on the LOL side.

But if it's true that a better version of the BBC session exists and was not used, well, that's the opposite of LOL, isn't it?

Does anyone here know what the situation is regarding this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well it does seem the BBC Radio sessions of 1967 exist in very good quality and have been located but, apparently, the owners have not been asked about them so those tapes won't be on the box set:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/pink-floyd-the-early-years-1965-1972.570280/page-128

Some of what is being said over there is fascinating to me, as I am a Floyd geek. Other stuff is the normal nominal grousing about what is and what should never be. The short answer is this: the box set is most likely not alterable in content by this time, as the final production is under way. I am grateful to Andy and the Floyd team for what they have pulled together, and I will happily plunk down my dollars in support of the project. This will not end the secondary markets, and that which is left off can be circulated in the same old informal ways among those to whom it is most important. If more is found and released officially, rest assured I will buy it! Again I say, THANK YOU ANDY and all in the Floyd camp for your efforts to bring this important music out officially!

Hello Andy. Going back on topic, may I ask what the main differences between the new OBC mix and the original one are? Do you know if the reissued vinyl will use the new mix?

Thanks!

Hello Andy. Going back on topic, may I ask what the main differences between the new OBC mix and the original one are? Do you know if the reissued vinyl will use the new mix?

Thanks!

Which posts were "off-topic?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Based on the language on Pink Floyd's Facebook page and store website, it sounds like the "Obscured by Clouds" vinyl will have the original stereo mix.

Based on the language on Pink Floyd's Facebook page and store website, it sounds like the "Obscured by Clouds" vinyl will have the original stereo mix.

I fully agree with you. I still don't understand why they have started these two campaigns in parallel as I think sales can be cross impacted in a negative way but, who understands Pink Floyd's marketing decisions?

Hi Andy,

Now that the early years are done with, do you think an 'Animals' box set will someday be released? There is an unreleased 4.0 Quad mix somewhere in the vault (the last remaning PF Quad mix that I'm aware of).

Also, regarding 'The Wall': if there was ever to be a 5.1 edition, would it be more complete now that there's room? As you are aware, the album was shortened for the vinyl format in 1979 ("What Shall We Do Now" was removed, "Run Like Hell" was heavily edited, and there are more examples).

There's a list circulating of things that people claim to "know to exist" including:

Interstellar Overdrive (1966 Demo)
Arnold Layne (Stereo Remix)
Candy & A Currant Bun (Stereo Remix)
Untitled (Sunshine)
Vegetable Man (alternate takes)
Reaction In G (Studio version)
Bike (RM1, alternate vocals/lyrics, no harmonium)
Lucifer Sam (RM1, early version)
Chapter 24 (alt take 5)
Pow R Toc H (RM1, alt mix)
The Gnome (alt mix)
Take Up Thy Stethescope and Walk (alt mix)
Interstellar Overdrive (rough mix, take 2 unedited)
Paintbox (early version)
Remember a Day (alternate mono mix)
Saucerful Of Secrets (mono LP)

One thing I have always wondered about is the alleged multitrack live recording from '73 that Alan Parsons did. He stated he only recorded about half the show and he could not confirm for me which half it was. But since the band were promoting a new album at the time, speculation would point to the recorded half being the 'Dark Side' portion of the show. Assuming the tape exists, I've often wondered why was it not used instead of the Wembley '74 show for the Dark Side Immersion.

Hi Andy,

Now that the early years are done with, do you think an 'Animals' box set will someday be released? There is an unreleased 4.0 Quad mix somewhere in the vault (the last remaning PF Quad mix that I'm aware of).

Also, regarding 'The Wall': if there was ever to be a 5.1 edition, would it be more complete now that there's room? As you are aware, the album was shortened for the vinyl format in 1979 ("What Shall We Do Now" was removed, "Run Like Hell" was heavily edited, and there are more examples).
Great suggestion regarding the Wall. Perhaps 2 versions can be released, enough space on blu ray anyway. One 5.1 mix following the original vinyl running order, and a second 5.1 mix with extra bits, as some Director's Cut type of thing.

Great suggestion regarding the Wall. Perhaps 2 versions can be released, enough space on blu ray anyway. One 5.1 mix following the original vinyl running order, and a second 5.1 mix with extra bits, as some Director's Cut type of thing.
And don't forget the movie! I think there are some songs that are in the movie and not on the album?

One thing I have always wondered about is the alleged multitrack live recording from '73 that Alan Parsons did. He stated he only recorded about half the show and he could not confirm for me which half it was. But since the band were promoting a new album at the time, speculation would point to the recorded half being the 'Dark Side' portion of the show. Assuming the tape exists, I've often wondered why was it not used instead of the Wembley '74 show for the Dark Side Immersion.

Maybe the tapes don't exist, or maybe they do, but the recording and/or performance quality was subpar compared to the Wembley '74 recording.

You're asking for way too much IMHO.
At this point, I think we're lucky if we even get a 5.1 surround mix of "The Wall", let alone an extended version.
(Although I will admit, I hate the version of "Empty Spaces" on the original album. It is much better when it segues into "What Shall We Do Now" on the film and in the live performances.)

yes, the movie has some different arrangements as well. It has been a while since I last saw the movie, but aren't When The Tigers Broke Free and what Shall We Do now? the only new songs?

"When the Tigers Broke Free" fits in a lot better with "The Final Cut" than it does with "The Wall" (the album), so I think it should stay as a part of "The Final Cut".

"Confirms?" Hardly. Only confirms that the press release was adjusted (read: "corrected") after the "leak."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never heard of rontoon. Does he really have links to the Floyd camp or is he another forum chancer? Genuine question.

I've never heard of rontoon. Does he really have links to the Floyd camp or is he another forum chancer? Genuine question.
Rontoon is the real deal. He is one of the people behind Harvested records, a Floyd audio and video archival project. In the sh.tv topic he mentioned to have had contact with the team behind this box, to fill them in on video material. I do not know how close he is with the team, but definitely the closest of all of us, except for Andy Jackson of course.

Back