DTS-CD Making DTS CD's from HiRez DVD-A's and SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
So, here's my question:

If the end result I am looking for is a DTS CD, which is basically a 44.1/16bit encoded wav file, which method of conversion would be the better solution?

a) Open the HiRez "pure" rips in Sound Forge and change their bit depth and sample rate using software?

OR

b) Playing the disc on an Oppo in it's natural element and record it into the PC via my MOTU at 44.1/16?

I am going to try it both ways, but I just wondered what some of you pro's out there have found to be the best way. The software I have for resampling and bit depth change is both from Sony and also from iZotope.

Thanks! :confused:

Jon, are you aware that DTS-CDs are an output option when ripping DVDs and Blu-Rays with DVD audio extractor?
That's the program I use when making DTS-CDs from DTS DVD-V material from Acura playback.

:)

Jon, are you aware that DTS-CDs are an output option when ripping DVDs and Blu-Rays with DVD audio extractor?
That's the program I use when making DTS-CDs from DTS DVD-V material from Acura playback.

:)

No! :)

Never looked for it. Now I will. THANKS!!

(But what about SACDs?)

With the latest deal with the Oppo and the "app" ripping them is pretty easy. However it might be just as easy to do the "play into the PC" with them, as that was the old way for many years.

I don't have DVD Audio extractor.

With Audiomuxer and a DTS encoder hooked up to it you can create DTSWAV files. Go to Audio Conversion - select the files to be converted and then hit DTSWav.

I then create a Cue file using the "Create Cue File" tool in IMGburn - if you want CD-Text information - I then manually edit the Cue file (for tracknames). You can check the cue file in Foobar if you have DTS plugin.

Capture.JPG

For SACDs:

1. Rip the SACD via PS3 to get an ISO.

2. Convert to FLAC, and then convert the FLAC to DTSWAV as above:

I follow a similar process for DTS DVDs for one of my cars ... one of my cars has a DVD (not DVD-A) player :steering:.

I also DVD Audio Extractor to make DTS CDs for when I need them.

How does one turn an SACD ISO into .FLAC files? I've never tried it.

I also DVD Audio Extractor to make DTS CDs for when I need them.

How does one turn an SACD ISO into .FLAC files? I've never tried it.

There are various methods.. You can convert using Foobar2000...

With the latest deal with the Oppo and the "app" ripping them is pretty easy. However it might be just as easy to do the "play into the PC" with them, as that was the old way for many years.

I like the "play into recorder" method of capturing 5.1 from an SACD. And if it is done well on a good player and with good perfect record levels, it's fine.

I want to do Harvest, and switch around cables to correct wrong channel assignments on those effected tracks. But I think it was stated that DVD-A copy protection comes into the scene on those discs (even via analog), but not SACDs when recorded through analog.

I don't have DVD Audio extractor.

With Audiomuxer and a DTS encoder hooked up to it you can create DTSWAV files. Go to Audio Conversion - select the files to be converted and then hit DTSWav.

I then create a Cue file using the "Create Cue File" tool in IMGburn - if you want CD-Text information - I then manually edit the Cue file (for tracknames). You can check the cue file in Foobar if you have DTS plugin.

View attachment 26924

For SACDs:

1. Rip the SACD via PS3 to get an ISO.

2. Convert to FLAC, and then convert the FLAC to DTSWAV as above:

Looking at the sample rate for the DTSWAV, it looks wrong for DTS CDs. The bitrate you want it 1441 kbps I believe.

IBut I think it was stated that DVD-A copy protection comes into the scene on those discs (even via analog)

DVD-A copy protection is an issue only if you burn it to another DVD-A. Burn it to a DTS-CD, DTS-DVD or stream the wav or flac files and you won't have any issues.

Looking at the sample rate for the DTSWAV, it looks wrong for DTS CDs. The bitrate you want it 1441 kbps I believe.

Thats the bitrate for option "normal" DTS. If you Hit the DTSwav button it will DTS encode to a Wav file at 1441 kbps.

So, here's my question:

If the end result I am looking for is a DTS CD, which is basically a 44.1/16bit encoded wav file, which method of conversion would be the better solution?

a) Open the HiRez "pure" rips in Sound Forge and change their bit depth and sample rate using software?

OR

b) Playing the disc on an Oppo in it's natural element and record it into the PC via my MOTU at 44.1/16?

I am going to try it both ways, but I just wondered what some of you pro's out there have found to be the best way. The software I have for resampling and bit depth change is both from Sony and also from iZotope.

Thanks! :confused:

Do you have to use a dts-cd? A dts-dvd from dvd-a's sound much better. Do you have a hardware limitation, and you can only play back dts-cd's? I have done my own encoding to dts to both formats, and the difference is not subtle.

DVD-A copy protection is an issue only if you burn it to another DVD-A. Burn it to a DTS-CD, DTS-DVD or stream the wav or flac files and you won't have any issues.

I could have sworn that Jon stated years ago that the copy protection on DVD-A followed the path even out of the analog RCA jacks to recording of that wav to a new file. This seems unlikely, but I am 95% sure I read this. Anyway, good and thanks.

I could have sworn that Jon stated years ago that the copy protection on DVD-A followed the path even out of the analog RCA jacks to recording of that wav to a new file. This seems unlikely, but I am 95% sure I read this. Anyway, good and thanks.

Yes, the copy protection is still embedded in the recording. That's why you can't create a DVD-A disc from the recording; as the DVD-A player will recognize the copy protection and stop playing. However, if you play it in any format other than DVD-A, the copy protection won't cause a problem because you don't have the DVD-A playback system engaged in the playing of the recording.

In other words, DVD-A copy protection only stops the playing of a DVD-A. The protection software isn't in the playback path in any other format.

Do you have to use a dts-cd? A dts-dvd from dvd-a's sound much better. Do you have a hardware limitation, and you can only play back dts-cd's? I have done my own encoding to dts to both formats, and the difference is not subtle.

I'm guessing this is for a new Acura that doesn't have DVD-A support but will play DTS CDs.

I'm guessing this is for a new Acura that doesn't have DVD-A support but will play DTS CDs.

If that is the case, I am pretty sure he is going to have to encode the files using something like Surcode. You can't just rip it from the dvda.

Rip hires files from dvda with dvda explorer or foobar. Load files in audiomuxer under audio conversion, change settings to 44.1 resample, push dts button. Audiomuxer will automatically load the channels in Surcode which will encode to dts.

Load dts files back into Audiomuxer under convert to dts wav. Load wav files into any standard cd authoring program to burn dts-cd.

Yeah. I am pondering getting a new Acura (since work subsidizes my car if I get one every 3 years) however going from my 14 to a 17 means giving up DVD-A. :(

Stupid reason for not moving forward for 99.99% of the US population, but not for me. If only the damn thing played 5.1 flacs! :)

Back